Earthquake!

Question for California residents: Has there been such an intense series of aftershocks to a quake in the state's history before?

From what I have read about San Fran. in 1906 and 1989 as well as Northridge in '94, the aftershocks paled in comparison to the original, fading off considerably.

But this latest 7.1 quake, the third with the same epicenter of 5.0 or greater strength in two days, was felt as far away as Phoenix, apparently.

Any precedent to a series of quakes with such intensity?

This isn’t unusual at all, @MrLincoln. Events like this earthquake sequence happen every 15 to 20 years in this size. Our monitoring equipment is improving and so is our access to information. The aftershocks will taper, then we may have a larger one and the activity ramps up again.

As Dr. Lucy said, we had a 1/20 chance of a bigger one...and it turned out to be the 1 rather than the 20. 😂

@minnie1012 Practice situational awareness, know where your exits are and don’t panic: practical advice that everyone should follow in all venues...earthquake or not!

The 2010 Baja Easter earthquake was the same magnitude and lasted 89 seconds.
That 7.2 one in 2010 was scary. I was driving on the 805 in San Diego just north of the 8 during that one. I could feel it in the road before I drove out onto the elevated portion of the freeway over Friars road. I never been more scared in my life.
The Easter 2010 quake, for me, is one of those moments you remember as "exactly where I was, who I was with and what I was doing." Seared into memory, I suppose.

We were at my parent's house in El Cajon which was built into rock. Their house never felt quakes ... but this one? Whole new story! There were maybe 15 of us enjoying brunch on their deck when it hit. Wowza.

But don’t exit during the event or necessarily immediately after. The best bet is always taking cover under a table.

Even the advice not to exit during the event is situational advice. Are you home? Get under a table.

Lester Holt was in a dark theater in Santa Monica. He describes that the group collectively decided to exit during the quake. I think that was better than to stay together in a dark room under a large roof span.

Even the advice not to exit during the event is situational advice. Are you home? Get under a table.

Lester Holt was in a dark theater in Santa Monica. He describes that the group collectively decided to exit during the quake. I think that was better than to stay together in a dark room under a large roof span.
If can be an incredibly bad life decision to exit a building during a quake. Great way to get stampeded if there are lots of people around but mainly because signs, facades, power lines, street lights, roof tiles etc can all come crashing down and windows can shatter. Also things within the building can come crashing down on you as you attempt to exit. Buildings in CA are built to an earthquake code and old ones are being/have been earthquake renovated. If it’s the big one that exceeds that code you’ll be bouncing around so much exiting won’t be an option anyway.

For those wanting more info what to do in an earthquake please read USGS’s guidelines.

Last edited:

I respectfully disagree. Almost always the best advice would be to stay inside until clearance is given to exit the building, aside from the imminent visible threat on the inside such as a fire. I’m well versed on earthquakes and the structural integrity of structures during earthquakes.

Also considering an earthquake last 30-60 seconds on average (60 seconds is on the longer side) you wouldn’t even have time to exit before it was over but risked injury by creating mob mentality, downed lines etc as the poster below suggested. I would absolutely recommend following USGS’s guidelines, a majority of which are getting away from the outside of a building. Modern buildings and many in California were retrofitted post Northridge to maintain the life safety of the occupants as priority number 1. Life safety means preserving life during and immediately after the event.
If can be an incredibly bad life decision to exit a building during a quake. Great way to get stampeded if there are lots of people around but mainly because signs, facades, power lines, street lights, roof tiles etc can all come crashing down and windows can shatter. Also things within the building can come crashing down on you as you attempt to exit. Buildings in CA are built to an earthquake code and old ones are being/have been earthquake renovated. If it’s the big one that exceeds that code you’ll be bouncing around so much exiting won’t be an option anyway.

For those wanting more info what to do in an earthquake please read USGS’s guidelines.

We felt the earthquake pretty hard in Las Vegas, too. Definitely the strongest one I've ever felt. My vertical blinds were swaying!

We just moved to San Diego and didn’t feel anything. We were at DL last weekend, so missed the action by a week. I’ve been reading up on earthquake safety and everything I’ve read says getting under a doorway is no longer recommended.

I keep reading to keep away from windows and exterior walls and to get under something stable like a table to protect your head.

Not as frequently felt as CA, but we get them in Washington, in the Puget Sound area. The last biggie was the Nisqually in 2001, 6.8. I've gotten under desks and dove into doorways a few times.
Not as frequently felt as CA, but we get them in Washington, in the Puget Sound area. The last biggie was the Nisqually in 2001, 6.8. I've gotten under desks and dove into doorways a few times.
We felt that one all the way down in Springfield OR my hanging plants were swinging pretty good. We had one a couple of years ago on the 4th just 7 miles from our place. We were also down at disneyland when Yorba Linda had one.

I respectfully disagree. Almost always the best advice would be to stay inside until clearance is given to exit the building, aside from the imminent visible threat on the inside such as a fire. I’m well versed on earthquakes and the structural integrity of structures during earthquakes.

Also considering an earthquake last 30-60 seconds on average (60 seconds is on the longer side) you wouldn’t even have time to exit before it was over but risked injury by creating mob mentality, downed lines etc as the poster below suggested. I would absolutely recommend following USGS’s guidelines, a majority of which are getting away from the outside of a building. Modern buildings and many in California were retrofitted post Northridge to maintain the life safety of the occupants as priority number 1. Life safety means preserving life during and immediately after the event.

I appreciate your disagreement, and the respectfulness in which it was offered. I was merely pointing out that situational awareness is vital, and that it is probably not a one-size-fits-all guideline. The key is probably to keep your head about you and not to panic.

Did you happen to listen to Lester Holt’s account of the event? I think you would find his account to be very interesting. In particular, the degree to which the audience left without panic. You can find his narration it in a video on an NBC News article.

We just moved to San Diego and didn’t feel anything. We were at DL last weekend, so missed the action by a week. I’ve been reading up on earthquake safety and everything I’ve read says getting under a doorway is no longer recommended.

I keep reading to keep away from windows and exterior walls and to get under something stable like a table to protect your head.

Away from exterior walls if on the outside, closer to a wall is better if inside. We live in San Diego, as well, and it’s definitely the city of windows. We’ve been taught since we were kids to duck under a table sit on your knees with your back toward the closest windows and head toward the ground. Then fold your hands behind your neck and use your arms/elbows to protect your face.

I appreciate your disagreement, and the respectfulness in which it was offered. I was merely pointing out that situational awareness is vital, and that it is probably not a one-size-fits-all guideline. The key is probably to keep your head about you and not to panic.

Did you happen to listen to Lester Holt’s account of the event? I think you would find his account to be very interesting. In particular, the degree to which the audience left without panic. You can find his narration it in a video on an NBC News article.
I have and what he did and the audience did was panic (he said they got up as soon as the S waves hit)—they all got up and went down to the street—though it was an orderly panic which I admit is surprising. However, as described in this instance it was against standard recommended practice by all government agencies and any my career/research in earthquake engineering.

Though you are right situational awareness is important, and I won’t deny that. If there is a fire or other immediate threat which is those reasons would call for an orderly evacuation. However, the most important often forgotten aspect in a state of panic is sometimes you are running to danger, which is often the case with exiting the building.

If of interest it is officially a 7.1, declared by USGS and the site for this specific quake is below.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci38457511/executive

Absolutely you are correct. The post below is good advice. Also I highly recommend reading the USGS guidelines, https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-shou...s_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products, they even have preparedness literature too.
Away from exterior walls if on the outside, closer to a wall is better if inside. We live in San Diego, as well, and it’s definitely the city of windows. We’ve been taught since we were kids to duck under a table sit on your knees with your back toward the closest windows and head toward the ground. Then fold your hands behind your neck and use your arms/elbows to protect your face.

I have and what he did and the audience did was panic (he said they got up as soon as the S waves hit)—they all got up and went down to the street—though it was an orderly panic which I admit is surprising. However, as described in this instance it was against standard recommended practice by all government agencies and any my career/research in earthquake engineering.

Though you are right situational awareness is important, and I won’t deny that. If there is a fire or other immediate threat which is those reasons would call for an orderly evacuation. However, the most important often forgotten aspect in a state of panic is sometimes you are running to danger, which is often the case with exiting the building.

If of interest it is officially a 7.1, declared by USGS and the site for this specific quake is below.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci38457511/executive

Thanks for the additional commentary and analysis. I appreciate it.

As a former cast member, I always felt like if a significant earthquake ever hit, I would feel safest being at work. Disneyland is extremely prepared for this situation (just as WDW is extremely well prepared for hurricanes), so there is no need to worry.

Just to add a few notes that apply anywhere for earthquake preparedness:
The updated advice is not just to duck under a sturdy table or chair, but to also HOLD on to the table/chair. In a strong earthquake, be prepared to move with it. Holding onto the furniture will reduce the chances that it moves away from you.

If you can't find a place to duck under, shelter low to the ground, away from items that may topple or break.

If you are in a theater or stadium, stay in place until the shaking stops and it is safe to exit. Don't rush for the exits. Be prepared to get low to the ground, below the height of the seatbacks, if applicable.

Many buildings in California are built on dampers (rollers), so they will feel like they are swaying more and longer after an earthquake. This is a good thing! The dampers let the building roll with the earth's movement rather than absorbing the energy.

If you're on a ride, absolutely please remain seated! Do not attempt to exit an attraction (moving or not) on your own unless you're instructed to do so by an announcement or directly by a cast member. Every attraction has its own protocols for how to handle evacuations. You'll be instructed when it is safe to exit the vehicle (if it is even necessary to exit the vehicle).

Last edited:
Non-California residents here...We left DL on the 3rd to go to San Diego. We were on the 8th floor of our hotel in downtown San Diego on the 4th, and we definitely felt it. By the time we realized what we were feeling it was over. For the 2nd one, we were back in Santa Ana on the 2nd floor of our hotel. This one lasted way longer. We had on our PJ's and had time to put real clothes on. We were almost ready to run outside, when it stopped. Lots of people exited the hotel. When we turned on the TV, the news was saying running outside is not a good option! It felt instinctual to do that though. It was very scary to us...since we don't have earthquakes where we are from!

My husband and I keep trying to figure out where in the hec to go in our house because there are windows EVERYWHERE. Then I got really confused because each windowless place in our house has an exterior wall. So if we are inside an exterior wall is ok?

Great advice... thank you. I’m from Houston and we just evacuate for hurricanes so prepping for earthquakes and fires is all new. I have a list going and I’m getting all of our emergency supplies ready just to be prepared.

Non-California residents here...We left DL on the 3rd to go to San Diego. We were on the 8th floor of our hotel in downtown San Diego on the 4th, and we definitely felt it. By the time we realized what we were feeling it was over. For the 2nd one, we were back in Santa Ana on the 2nd floor of our hotel. This one lasted way longer. We had on our PJ's and had time to put real clothes on. We were almost ready to run outside, when it stopped. Lots of people exited the hotel. When we turned on the TV, the news was saying running outside is not a good option! It felt instinctual to do that though. It was very scary to us...since we don't have earthquakes where we are from!

Yes my mom told me to run outside because there’s a wide open green space and I told her that’s what they tell you NOT to do! So crazy you felt it in San Diego! We are near Del Mar and didn’t feel anything for either quake!

As a former cast member, I always felt like if a significant earthquake ever hit, I would feel safest being at work. Disneyland is extremely prepared for this situation (just as WDW is extremely well prepared for hurricanes), so there is no need to worry.

Just to add a few notes that apply anywhere for earthquake preparedness:
The updated advice is not just to duck under a sturdy table or chair, but to also HOLD on to the table/chair. In a strong earthquake, be prepared to move with it. Holding onto the furniture will reduce the chances that it moves away from you.

If you can't find a place to duck under, shelter low to the ground, away from items that may topple or break.

If you are in a theater or stadium, stay in place until the shaking stops and it is safe to exit. Don't rush for the exits. Be prepared to get low to the ground, below the height of the seatbacks, if applicable.

Many buildings in California are built on dampers (rollers), so they will feel like they are swaying more and longer after an earthquake. This is a good thing! The dampers let the building roll with the earth's movement rather than absorbing the energy.

If you're on a ride, absolutely please remain seated! Do not attempt to exit an attraction (moving or not) on your own unless you're instructed to do so by an announcement or directly by a cast member. Every attraction has its own protocols for how to handle evacuations. You'll be instructed when it is safe to exit the vehicle (if it is even necessary to exit the vehicle).

Question.... every piece of furniture in our house that would be good to hide under and hold onto is by a window. What do we do????

Such great advice and yes, I’d feel safe at Disneyland. They know what they’re doing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter