• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Earthquake!

T
As a former cast member, I always felt like if a significant earthquake ever hit, I would feel safest being at work. Disneyland is extremely prepared for this situation (just as WDW is extremely well prepared for hurricanes), so there is no need to worry.

Just to add a few notes that apply anywhere for earthquake preparedness:
The updated advice is not just to duck under a sturdy table or chair, but to also HOLD on to the table/chair. In a strong earthquake, be prepared to move with it. Holding onto the furniture will reduce the chances that it moves away from you.

If you can't find a place to duck under, shelter low to the ground, away from items that may topple or break.

If you are in a theater or stadium, stay in place until the shaking stops and it is safe to exit. Don't rush for the exits. Be prepared to get low to the ground, below the height of the seatbacks, if applicable.

Many buildings in California are built on dampers (rollers), so they will feel like they are swaying more and longer after an earthquake. This is a good thing! The dampers let the building roll with the earth's movement rather than absorbing the energy.

If you're on a ride, absolutely please remain seated! Do not attempt to exit an attraction (moving or not) on your own unless you're instructed to do so by an announcement or directly by a cast member. Every attraction has its own protocols for how to handle evacuations. You'll be instructed when it is safe to exit the vehicle (if it is even necessary to exit the vehicle).
Thank you! As I was on rides today, I kept thinking about what might happen if another one hit while we were on the ride. It's kind of putting a damper on my trip. This makes me feel a little better.

Question.... every piece of furniture in our house that would be good to hide under and hold onto is by a window. What do we do????

Such great advice and yes, I’d feel safe at Disneyland. They know what they’re doing!

It might be worth considering rearranging your house so that you have something to hide under. While doing that, also consider fastening down anything that might topple over (TVs, bookshelves, etc). As for how to arrange the furniture, you'll have to assess that on a case-by-case basis. In the big Japan quake, people found it not always best to crawl over to furniture that might move or fall.

I probably should've also pasted a link to the ready.gov website.
https://www.ready.gov/earthquakes
If an earthquake happens, protect yourself right away. Drop, Cover, then Hold On!
  • If in a vehicle, pull over and stop.
  • If in bed, stay there.
  • If outdoors, stay outdoors.
  • Do not get in a doorway.
  • Do not run outside.

Edited for accuracy, and to note that it is best to look at ready.gov for the most current information on safety.

Last edited:
It might be worth considering rearranging your house so that you have something to hide under. While doing that, also consider fastening down anything that might topple over (TVs, bookshelves, etc). As for how to arrange the furniture, you'll have to assess that on a case-by-case basis. In the big Japan quake, people found it not always best to crawl over to furniture that might move or fall.

I probably should've also pasted a link to the ready.gov website.
https://www.ready.gov/earthquakes

Edited for accuracy, and to note that it is best to look at ready.gov for the most current information on safety.
Oh snap! No doorways! Glad you posted that. That, now to be proven a myth, was taught as fact back in the day when I was in school and I still thought it was true. 100% debunked. Noted!

This is correct though very different animals. The destruction at the Vancouver/Seattle one will be very devastating if the “big” one happens during our life time. One thing to remember “soon” for earthquakes is on a geological scale so soon for the earth is a much different measure than a human’s scale of time. So it’s possible to occur this generation the next or a few down the line of more. This is the same for the LA basin. Also these aren’t predicted they will occur it’s just a question of when, which can not be forecasted beyond a geological scale, which even that is a lot of guessing.

Also the Cascade Subduction Fault, the one in the Pacific Northwest, will be a similar off coast earthquake that hit Japan a few years back, cause a tsunami if the fault ruptures with enough energy, now the tsunami hitting anything meaningful depends where the rupture occurs, but likely will cause much destruction.

This article is a bit doom and gloom, discussing the worst case scenario meant to garner readers, but overall it’s fairly accurate.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one
There is even the New Madrid fault that hasn’t ruptured for a very long time sitting right under St Louis which is ready “soon”. All in all the odds of these event happening within a year are relatively low.
I actually live in New Madrid on the New Madrid fault we have tremors all the time i dont ever feel them lol we have been waiting for a big one for a long time now....we are heading out to california in a week hopefully everything settles down by then lol

I actually live in New Madrid on the New Madrid fault we have tremors all the time i dont ever feel them lol we have been waiting for a big one for a long time now....we are heading out to california in a week hopefully everything settles down by then lol
Yeah, agreed, by rupture I meant a significant quake, should have been more clear, most of the tremors are Magnitude 2.5 or below so very weak. In fact that means most of those are at least ~7.9 million times weaker than the 7.1 in California. Strictly speaking anytime plates move relative to each other earthquakes will occur.

The last big one was in 1811 and 1812, actually a series of 3.

I wanted to say thank you for the information here. We're about 10 days out for a work conference then some Disneyland fun. Some of my staff team is a bit nervous so it was helpful to pass along some of the information here to them, and my wife/son as well.

Well this information would have been helpful! Haha! Us Iowans totally panicked and ran down the stairs of the hotel. 🙄 oopsie.

It would be cools if the hotels provided a little note card with these tips at check in.

So. As of today are all the attractions back open and functioning as they should under usual circumstances? No damage or things being cancelled until further notice as a result of the quakes??

So. As of today are all the attractions back open and functioning as they should under usual circumstances? No damage or things being cancelled until further notice as a result of the quakes??
Everything was running yesterday. Didn't hear about anything getting cancelled.

Well this information would have been helpful! Haha! Us Iowans totally panicked and ran down the stairs of the hotel. 🙄 oopsie.

It would be cools if the hotels provided a little note card with these tips at check in.
My bet: nobody would read it. Also, if provided, they'd increase their responsibility in case of injury.

Rides reopened Friday night after the standard safety checks.

Pretty sure emergency (including earthquake) information appears in rooms - usually on the diagram pointing out evacuation routes and/or in the room booklet.

Back to that situation awareness thing. ;)

We will be in SoCal (PCH from Santa Monica to Cambria, overe to Sequoia, DLR) for the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. I am fairly confident in DLR's safety and preparedness for earthquakes. I'm actually most concerned with being in Sequoia bc of falling rock. Not much in the way of a place to get away from it, on that narrow, winding road up to Wucksachi Lodge/Giant Forest area. Last year we were in Calif for that major wildfire..... as in, we were in the backed up traffic heading back to Santa Monica, after PCH was closed in Malibu. I'm beginning to think the State of Calif. doesn't like us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter