• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC's Old Key West Extension Ordeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never signed the extension. It was poorly done and it never made sense. This was the beginning of the end for Jim Lewis. In fact, it made us view DVC in a completely different light. The strong arm tactics were disgusting. They delivered letters to our sons who were using our points while on vacation. The one thing they could never explain was properly was ......Why should we sign a Quit Claim Deed? A Quit Claim Deed is a legal instrument that transfers our legal interest in the property. These instruments are used to add/remove people from Deeds or Titles. A good example is a person gets a divorce and one spouse keeps the house and the other goes off with a new BF or Secretary. You would use the Quit Claim Deed to remove their name from the title.

Just because DVD/DVC put a form in front of us and says here sign this doesn’t mean I am going to do it. We have no expectations past 2042. We just hated being bullied by DVC.
They stated they'd do a special assessment if the party didn't extend or sign it over. I've never heard of them doing so and as I read the POS, they don't have the legal right to do a SA for this purpose. It's probably good for me and them that I no longer owned OKW when this came down as I'd be there with you and frankly, I think there's a good chance one will simply end up with a 2057 contract. Now they might drive you crazy enough you want to at some point being the 600# gorilla. I am sympathetic to their dilemma and difficulty extending for a fee when it's tied to the ground lease which I feel was a big mistake on their part. But don't threaten a SA, they lost all of my sympathy at that point. Big picture if they had just extended for free, which they could have done easily and cheaply, they would have been better off long term.

That is precisely why I did not purchase a BLT contract. The Contemporary resort will be 89 years old when the contract expires. After 40+ years, the tower is already showing its age and is in desperate need of attention.

If you read some of the better texts on Disney's history, you will see that US Steel and Welton Becket did not design the Contemporary and Polynesian to be one day registered on the National Register of Historic Places. Their shelf life was only to be for a few decades.

The South Garden Wing is surviving on borrowed time and the tower will eventually require significant attention.
The garden wing will soon be BLT number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter