DVC studios - fewer amenities

In the 1/2/3 bedroom villas the dishes are easily sanitized in the dishwasher. Also, just plain soap will not "sanitize". Sorry, that is the nurse in me talking...

The dishwashers in the 1/2/3 bedroom units do not have a sanitize option on the dishwashers and cannot get the water warm enough to 'officially' sanitize the dishware. I guess my point was if a person wants to, they can wash the dishes as clean as they would be in the cheap standard dishwashers they have in the larger units.

I got my call from DVC also. I wasn't home, but she left a long, and very nice message, hitting on all the things I mentioned in my email. She didn't mention the styrofoam though. I wish I had been home to get the call.

I travel every week.

I stay in hotels and "GASP" I drink out of the glasses. I don't worry about things I can't control. I don't wash the glasses, ask for new ones etc.

Guess what? I am RARELY sick!

If I talk to Disney I will certainly point out that "panic" on thier part is not my problem!

I haven't really been interested in this topic since I usually stay in 1BRs. The recent change in policy saying that the glassware must be sanitized makes me wonder. When guests check out, does housekeeping run all plates, glasses and silverware through the diswasher? I cannot imagine that they do. Disney is implying that they somehow santize this stuff in all units, otherwise their whole arguement about the glassware in studios is DBS. I work in a restaurant and I know how the industry takes care of plates, etc... for the public and I guess hotels that supply these to their guests in rooms should be no different. Does housekeeping completely wash all kitchenware between guest visits?

I haven't really been interested in this topic since I usually stay in 1BRs. The recent change in policy saying that the glassware must be sanitized makes me wonder. When guests check out, does housekeeping run all plates, glasses and silverware through the diswasher? I cannot imagine that they do. Disney is implying that they somehow santize this stuff in all units, otherwise their whole arguement about the glassware in studios is DBS. I work in a restaurant and I know how the industry takes care of plates, etc... for the public and I guess hotels that supply these to their guests in rooms should be no different. Does housekeeping completely wash all kitchenware between guest visits?

Quite honestly I have not seen any statement from DVC or Disney that states that the glassware/dishware must be sanitized. They did say that they determined that the handwashing method they had been using didn't meet their cleanliness standards. They have announced that the glassware/dishware for the studios at the DVC resorts connected to hotels will have the glasses and mugs run through a glasswasher. The standalone DVC resorts do not have the equipment in place to do this, and the studios there will continue to be provided with unwrapped disposables.
There is supposed to be a notice posted that the dishwashers in the 1BR+ villas do not sanitize (don't reach high enough temps). There has been some debate in this thread as to what the policy is, but it is clear that all of the dishes, glasses and other equipment in the full kitchens is not cleaned every time between guests.
I have not received a phone call from DVC yet but if I do, I am going to be asking them to explain how providing unwrapped disposables addresses a sanitation issue, because I am still completely mystified about this.:confused:
I would appreciate it if anyone else who gets a call could ask about this, and let us know what the response is.

I believe their answer to the unwrapped cups is.....
"they are working on a permanent solution...this is temporary
Kerri

Ok, so had another message from DVC last night and they called me this morning again--and got me. Three times they had to call me--so even though their response was not necessarily prompt, they are being persistent to try to get to us (well, at least me).

Sorry to say, I was rushing to get ready for work and didn't feel the need to "grill them." My two issues were--can I request this at check-in? and why doesn't the DVC member site include the info that mugs and glasses can be requested at OKW and SSR?

The answers: her suggestion (Joy) was that we request at check-in and call housekeeping once we get in our studio--since Housekeeping will be the ones to bring them. Maybe an extra step, but one that I don't mind. (I generally call for extra pillows at hotels--this is really no different in my mind.)

Second, she indicated that the website is going to be updated to include the info that mugs and glasses can be requested at SSR/OKW.

Can someone ask if we can add it to our reservation request?

At least they can be a little more pro active about getting them to us at check in if they already know we want them. They will probably need a cart in each bldg.

I am washing mine either way.

Im not home during the day so no call for me.

Does housekeeping completely wash all kitchenware between guest visits?

In a word, no. They do not wash all the kitchenware in the 1/2/3 bedroom units between guests. Which makes their whole sanitation argument kind of silly, in my opinion.

In a word, no. They do not wash all the kitchenware in the 1/2/3 bedroom units between guests. Which makes their whole sanitation argument kind of silly, in my opinion.

That's what I think also. Who's to say that the stuff in the 1 bedroom unit, if used, was washed in the dishwasher. I would not run the dishwasher for just a couple of glasses, I would handwash them instead. This is just ridiculous.

Congratulations on getting DVC to change the policy. :thumbsup2 Apparently DVC received hundreds of emails immediately regarding this change & have now rescinded this change.

Can you guys help out those of us trying to get a different policy changed?

Please see the thread about the $95 booking fee.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1759010&page=3

If more people complain, maybe we can get this changed too. Please help contact:

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Thanks!
I am not trying to stir anything up but did want to add an FYI. We own Marriott as well as are undercontract for DVC points. The internal trade fee for Marriott just went to $99 from $89. It seems as if Disney is comparable in the market on this. Not saying it is right. It bugs me that I paid them once and now have to pay them again when I want to trade to another of their resorts.

Can anyone with any other traditional TS properties post what their internal trading fees are? HGVC or Sheraton?

Well, we just got back from a studio stay at SSR. Upon our checkin and room ready at 2pm, Yeah! I immediately went to check to see if we had disposables or glasses and mugs. Well, we had the disposables as expected. So I called housekeeping. I was told, "You are staying in a studio and are not allowed to have them and they are not supplied in studio units." I said, "Well, first they have been in the studios up until recently and now they are not. and I am requesting a set for my stay." she replied that I have been here for 5 yrs and have never heard of this. I said well DVC emailed me just a day ago and told me that I may request glasses and mugs for my stay. She put me on hold while she had to go speak with her supervisor. When she came back, I was informed that they would be brought up to my room and that I was responsible for washing them. I said no problem and thank you very much.

So, I guess when I return my calls (3 of them) I missed when I was at SSR about cupgate I need to mention this. Aside from this and a few minor bus issues the stay was wonderful just crowded.:banana:

she replied that I have been here for 5 yrs and have never heard of this.

I wonder if the lady you spoke to is related to Larry? :confused3

Nice to see that Disney has instructed their employees on the recent changes and that glasses are available upon request. I am also very pleased to see that they supplied you with sanatized cups and mugs that they told you that you'd have to wash.

Thanks for the report Disbound. Very interesing.

I wonder if the lady you spoke to is related to Larry? :confused3

Nice to see that Disney has instructed their employees on the recent changes and that glasses are available upon request. I am also very pleased to see that they supplied you with sanatized cups and mugs that they told you that you'd have to wash.

Thanks for the report Disbound. Very interesing.

OMG! I think I am going to throw up. This is just disgusting.

Terry

DIZBOUND said:
she replied that I have been here for 5 yrs and have never heard of this.

SSR opened in May 2004. Perhaps she worked in construction before she went into housekeeping :rotfl:
Thank you for sharing your experience Dizbound. I am happy that your overall stay was a good one.
While I was sitting here working on this silly response, as it happens, I got a call from a CM at the Executive Offices at WDW to speak with me about my letter to Jim Lewis. He stuck with the party line - that the change to disposables was in his words, 'a quick answer while they are trying to figure this out'. He mentioned that my concerns about the lack of wrapping on the disposables were not the first he had heard. I stressed the fact that my preference is for them to do away with the disposables and install glasswashers and whatever equipment is required in order to get rid of the disposables for all of the studios at all of the DVC resorts. He could not provide me with any time estimate for when they will have the more permanent solution to this issue in place, or even when they would actually be making the decision about what that permanent solution would be. He did say that based on the importance of the issue, and the response of the membership, that they would be doing their very best to make the decision and resolve this with a long term solution as soon as possible.
I asked about the statement on the member site regarding the change in glassware, and pointed out that currently the information that glassware is available on request at the standalone DVC resorts is missing. According to the CM, they have someone working on making that change, and this information will be added very soon as well.

So how long do we give DVC to come up with a permanent solution for the stand alone resorts to clean glassware before we send more emails??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter