DVC Should Pay for Mears Transportation

Luggage transfer was handled by a separate company and did not return when they reopened last July. Likely gone for good.

I said in another thread that BAGS had reportedly gone out of business during COVID> Turns out they have not - they were purchased by another larger company that still offers baggage delivery service. So it's POSSIBLE that service could return if Disney felt like it. However, I do not see that happening without DME. It was a key aspect and the 2 go together hand in glove.

I said in another thread that BAGS had reportedly gone out of business during COVID> Turns out they have not - they were purchased by another larger company that still offers baggage delivery service. So it's POSSIBLE that service could return if Disney felt like it. However, I do not see that happening without DME. It was a key aspect and the 2 go together hand in glove.

In theory, assuming Mears continues a fee based version of BME, they could also include luggage using the company that too over BAGS, for an additional fee. That is assuming that a few things...that Disney would allow them to continue using the former BAGS kiosks at the resorts, and that Mears makes reservations for the DME replacement in advance, like we have to reserve DME.

But for all practical purposes, I don't see the luggage service returning. It sure was a nice feature, though. I will miss it. I personally hate taking carry-ons and trying to find storage locatiob onboard the planes for it, the having to grab it as you deplane. The only thing I normally board with is my laptop. Everything else gets checked.

If you have 8 people then you should get a private van. We just got back from our trip and we hired a van that seats 10. It was $140 round trip. And they include a 30 min stop at a Publix for groceries if you want. They also have car seats so you don't need to bring one.
Which service did you use?

In theory, assuming Mears continues a fee based version of BME, they could also include luggage using the company that too over BAGS, for an additional fee. That is assuming that a few things...that Disney would allow them to continue using the former BAGS kiosks at the resorts, and that Mears makes reservations for the DME replacement in advance, like we have to reserve DME.

But for all practical purposes, I don't see the luggage service returning. It sure was a nice feature, though. I will miss it. I personally hate taking carry-ons and trying to find storage locatiob onboard the planes for it, the having to grab it as you deplane. The only thing I normally board with is my laptop. Everything else gets checked.
For a fee, I am sure Disney would let Mears use the kiosks, and you know it will not be cheap. But the problem would be that the cost may well prove to be too high to use Mears if they decide to offer the luggage service. Right now without the luggage service, most estimates I see is $50 per person EACH WAY. Throw another $20 per person for the luggage and I just do not see many using it.

Last edited:

Me too. I have been debating the Owners Locker and just ordered it. The current deal for DVC owners made it worth it and since my trips will be more often it will make what I carry on the plan small enough to fit under the seat! At the very least it will limit the times I have to retrieve checked luggage.

https://www.ownerslocker.com/account/index.cfm

Which service did you use?
I am not sure if I am allowed to name them (I got reprimanded once for not copying and pasting a web address so that a resale company I was mentioning would be "cleared" via the system). This company doesn't have a web page. If a moderator gives me the OK I will comment with their info.

I am not sure if I am allowed to name them (I got reprimanded once for not copying and pasting a web address so that a resale company I was mentioning would be "cleared" via the system). This company doesn't have a web page. If a moderator gives me the OK I will comment with their info.

Both website and names can be in the boards filter. So, feel free to post and if it shows up blocked, then we will know! I believe it is okay!

Do you remember Disney's Circle of Life attraction showing the scene of two bicyclists riding among the congested traffic? The humans were making bad decisions by having so much traffic. However having carpooling in the form of buspooling is out. Maybe the Land pavilion can have an entertaining attraction called Circle of Traffic. At least they won't have to go far to film it and that will save money.

Both website and names can be in the boards filter. So, feel free to post and if it shows up blocked, then we will know! I believe it is okay!
Thanks for the green light! Tony Hinds is the one I used. He is great. I am not sure how many vehicles he has, but he is on top of everything and very reasonably priced. It was $140 round trip from MCO to BCV (I assume it is the same price for all WDW resorts), plus tip for the driver(s) each way. He will stop at a grocery store if you want...we stopped at the Publix that isn't too far from WDW (and there is a liquor store in the same parking lot). They also provide a car seat if you need one (no additional cost).

The problem is the economics of it don't work. And I mean at all. Disney would have to rent the kiosks to Mears. They would also need the storage areas for the baggage carts. Then there is an entire sorting facility that is split into 2 with x-ray machines. The bags have to be brought to that facility, go through scanning and kept distanced / separated into the second area after they are scanned. TSA will NOT let up on that requirement. It's quite an involved process. Throw the bus ride on top of it as well as staffing at all the kiosks. I don't think they could do it anywhere near $40 - $50 a person with the bags going outbound.

And what about inbound bags? Disney isn't going to let them drop the bags off in guest rooms. At best they will drop them with bell services. Not quite the same service.

How is that train? Do you get a cabin or just regular seats? It's still quite a bit of time.
Yinn-
It takes just as much time as driving, only instead of negotiating I-95 I was able to eat, relax, play cards and sleep.
We got a Bedroom car, which had 2 beds (1 pulls down), a couch, a chair, folding table, sink/vanity, and a small bathroom with shower.
For us it's convenience more than the economics. The DW doesn't like to fly, and with COVID it was much less interaction than a busy airport. Economically, it also worked for us because we stayed in Orlando for almost 2 months, so we saved greatly on car rental expenses. That also allowed us to pack our car full of stuff, which we never would have been able to take on the plane.

Last edited:
Yinn-
It takes just as much time as driving, only instead of negotiating I-95 I was able to eat, relax, play cards and sleep.
We got a Bedroom car, which had 2 beds (1 pulls down), a couch, a chair, folding table, sink/vanity, and a small bathroom with shower.
For us it's convenience more than the economics. The DW doesn't like to fly, and with COVID it was much less interaction than a busy airport. Economically, it also worked for us because we stayed in Orlando for almost 2 months, so we saved greatly on car rental expenses. That also allowed us to pack our car full of stuff, which we never would have been able to take on the plane.

That has been the part that's been interesting to me. My kids are too impatient to drive the entire way so I'd have to drive through the night while they slept, which doesn't make for a fun 1st day at Disney.

How long do you typically wait for your car when you get off? Is it like waiting for your luggage at the airport conveyor? Or more like waiting for your luggage from the former MGE/Bell services to your room?

The problem is the economics of it don't work. And I mean at all. Disney would have to rent the kiosks to Mears. They would also need the storage areas for the baggage carts. Then there is an entire sorting facility that is split into 2 with x-ray machines. The bags have to be brought to that facility, go through scanning and kept distanced / separated into the second area after they are scanned. TSA will NOT let up on that requirement. It's quite an involved process. Throw the bus ride on top of it as well as staffing at all the kiosks. I don't think they could do it anywhere near $40 - $50 a person with the bags going outbound.

And what about inbound bags? Disney isn't going to let them drop the bags off in guest rooms. At best they will drop them with bell services. Not quite the same service.

Do you think Disney was paying $50 each way for the combination of BAGS and Mears (DME)? I doubt it. I saw in another thread that Mears was getting $7. Mears also likely had a guaranteed minimum number of trips with Disney. So, even when WDW was closed, Mears collected something to pay for their infrastructure costs. The transportation business isn't a cash cow. It's run on thin margins, so the people at Mears very likely built in every contingency into their contract with Disney. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that when WDW closed, they may have told Mears "waive the minimum or we will cancel your contract in 2022."

IIRC, when we took Mears to Universal from MCO, the cost was about $25 per person. I believe it was $25 because it was a van service, and they had other stops along the way to maximize the use of the van/driver. Had they regularly had enough customers all going to the same place, it would have cut down on the travel time, thereby allowing them to price it less. For this reason, I expect the Mears DME replacement price to be more in the $15-20 each way range, as opposed to $50 each way you're suggesting.

BAGS was an ongoing business for 15 years, so they obviously knew how to run their business within whatever Disney paid them. When the pandemic hit, they had no customers, but were probably were locked into contracts to pay Disney for their space, plus their space at the airport where they x-ray and sort the bags. No income and having to pay for space you aren't using equals selling the business to a deeper-pocketed company, which is what happened. BAGS delivered the luggage to Bell Services for delivery to the rooms. They didn't deliver to the rooms themselves.

That has been the part that's been interesting to me. My kids are too impatient to drive the entire way so I'd have to drive through the night while they slept, which doesn't make for a fun 1st day at Disney.

How long do you typically wait for your car when you get off? Is it like waiting for your luggage at the airport conveyor? Or more like waiting for your luggage from the former MGE/Bell services to your room?
The wait for your car can be an hour to 90 minutes -- we experienced about 40 minutes on the trip down.
BUT, since we returned in Late February and it's still cold in DC at that time, I paid a $60 fee to have our car in the "Priority OffLoad", and they were pulling our car up out front as we were getting off the train.

The wait for the car can be 10 minutes, can be almost an hour. Depends on how many cars are on the train and where yours falls in the lineup. Going south in December/January, train is full. Going north in March/April, train is full. You can pay extra (?$50?) to ensure your car is one of first off.

That is true though I would have been surprised if that would have been much cheaper.

It was really more to see if it made sense not to wait. It just goes to show that using the new Mears Connect may not always be a bad deal compared to other options.

In the end, DME worked fine!
I am being told a Taxi has a flat rate of $40 each way to and from Disney World.

Do you think Disney was paying $50 each way for the combination of BAGS and Mears (DME)? I doubt it. I saw in another thread that Mears was getting $7. Mears also likely had a guaranteed minimum number of trips with Disney. So, even when WDW was closed, Mears collected something to pay for their infrastructure costs. The transportation business isn't a cash cow. It's run on thin margins, so the people at Mears very likely built in every contingency into their contract with Disney. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that when WDW closed, they may have told Mears "waive the minimum or we will cancel your contract in 2022."

IIRC, when we took Mears to Universal from MCO, the cost was about $25 per person. I believe it was $25 because it was a van service, and they had other stops along the way to maximize the use of the van/driver. Had they regularly had enough customers all going to the same place, it would have cut down on the travel time, thereby allowing them to price it less. For this reason, I expect the Mears DME replacement price to be more in the $15-20 each way range, as opposed to $50 each way you're suggesting.

BAGS was an ongoing business for 15 years, so they obviously knew how to run their business within whatever Disney paid them. When the pandemic hit, they had no customers, but were probably were locked into contracts to pay Disney for their space, plus their space at the airport where they x-ray and sort the bags. No income and having to pay for space you aren't using equals selling the business to a deeper-pocketed company, which is what happened. BAGS delivered the luggage to Bell Services for delivery to the rooms. They didn't deliver to the rooms themselves.

Well, the $50 was not a number I threw out. It was by other people. I was using that same number.

I can tell you that my company was involved with BAGS. BAGS lost money on Disney. Never made a dime. Most of the income the company actually managed to make was from Cruise Ships. I do not know how much they charged Disney, but they never figured out the staffing bit. Cruise ships worked so much better since there was never any staffing issues since the system was designed to be automated and Disney wasn't - almost every person needed to be touched and handled by staff and the system just was not economical for that.

I will believe the Mears getting $7 per person for driving. operating a bus isn't that expensive. But if they wanted to handle baggage like BAGS was on top of that, they would have to pay SP+ probably a similar amount. So now you are at a cost of $14 per person. The bar as I said above has to be under $30 or they will hit the ceiling of Uber. So if they are running a cost of > $14 per person and only charge $20 per person, that's a slim profit for a shrinking base (see my earlier message about the number of people who will likely not be using this service) where I doubt your buses will be running at over 60%.

I still think they are going to be in for a world of hurt and it's going to be difficult for them to operate buses AND DME at a reasonable cost. I see them dropping down to something more like their VAN service to Universal in a few years.

I could be wrong. I am by no means an expert.

I am being told a Taxi has a flat rate of $40 each way to and from Disney World.

Good to know for the future! Trying to decide for our June trip what we do.

I will say when we got to VGF and wanted to go to Publix the ride share were all 20 minute waits so we asked the CM at bell services at the villas to just call us a taxi. Well, there were none at VGF so we just waited for Lyft.

So even taxis were in short supply that week. But, if a taxi is $40 each way, then it could be less than Mears Connect for some groups,

I just hope we see the pricing and option by June!

That $15-$20 per person for Mears is the same number I came to for all the reasons you mentioned, only I think that would be round trip instead of one way. Think about your average family of four. If it was $20 each way per person, the total for the round trip would be $160. That is for a bus that you have to wait in line for and that hits multiple resorts before yours. Or you can hire a private 10 person van (like my family just did last week) for $140-$160 round trip. And the private van whisks you away immediately to your resort...and it takes you to a grocery store on the way if you would like. No crowds. No strangers. How in the heck could Mears justify charging more for a service that is not as good? It wouldn’t take consumers long to figure out there are much better options. Mears would need to be more in the ballpark of around half the price of the private services, which is why I would think $20 round trip per person makes more sense. And that still represents more than they were probably getting from Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter