DVC Points and the Moderates

MiDigh

Chairman Meow is ok with the Mouse
Hi all,

I seem to be a terrible researcher on the site. Is there a thread for using DVC points and the Moderates, such as Port Royale? Or, will they let you even do that?

Thanks and apologies.

You can, but it's not really the best use for your points. There is a $95 transaction fee and you can't use resale points purchased after 3/20/2011 for Disney Collection Reservations.

2017 Disney Collection Point Chart: https://secure.cdn3.wdpromedia.com/...ney-resort-hotels/2017WDWPtChtFINAL052016.pdf
2018 Disney Collection Point Chart: https://secure.cdn3.wdpromedia.com/...s/disney-resort-hotels/2018WDWPtCht061917.pdf

Thank you SO much for the charts!

Here's a hypothetical: If I joined DVC (from Disney directly) and purchased 50 points (which is give or take $5-6K), I could use these points each year on my deposit date for a stay at Port Orleans, correct? And in mid-August that would be 21 points a night for a standard view?

Buying DVC to stay at a moderate resort is a very, very bad idea. In your example, a night at Port Orleans Riverside in 2018 will be 23 points in mid-August. If you buy direct at Poly (the cheaper annual dues), you would be paying $6.1355/point * 23 points = $141.11 in dues on those points. Add on the $95 transaction fee, and you would be spending $236.11 to spend that night in a moderate, which has a current rack rate of $246 for that time period (before any discounts). In other words, you would be spending $8800 for the privilege of saving $10/night from rack rate.

Buying DVC to stay at a moderate resort is a very, very bad idea. In your example, a night at Port Orleans Riverside in 2018 will be 23 points in mid-August. If you buy direct at Poly (the cheaper annual dues), you would be paying $6.1355/point * 23 points = $141.11 in dues on those points. Add on the $95 transaction fee, and you would be spending $236.11 to spend that night in a moderate, which has a current rack rate of $246 for that time period (before any discounts). In other words, you would be spending $8800 for the privilege of saving $10/night from rack rate.

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to walk me through that.

So, if continuing the example for 2018 mid-August, the total Poly points at a standard view (7 nights) would be 364 points. How do I know how much each point is worth?

Magic season for the poly is Aug 1-15. Dream season for the poly is Aug 16-31. The cost of a DVC standard view room there for the Magic Season (the more expensive of the two) is 23 points per night for Sun-Thu, and 27 for Fri-Sat. So, 7 nights is 169 points. 7 nights in Dream season is 155 points.

If you buy 175 points (giving you a few extra in case they change the number of points required in the future), your cost (buying direct) would be around $30,000. Your yearly dues would be around $1100.

Going back to your earlier hypothetical, if you purchased 50 points, you'd be able to stay 2 nights and you'd have a yearly dues around $300. Since there is no way you'd be able to stay at a Poly regular hotel room for less than $300 a night, you'd see a savings if you don't count the time value of money (interest gained on money invested instead of spent) on the initial $8500 purchase ($170 per point * 50 points when buying direct).

If you want to save money, consider buying resale points. You can buy 200 SSR points for significantly less than $20,000. At the 11 month before vacation date point, you can book SSR. At the 7 month point, you can book any DVC resort that has an opening. There's a thread here with studio availability by resort and week to give you an idea where that can be.

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to walk me through that.

So, if continuing the example for 2018 mid-August, the total Poly points at a standard view (7 nights) would be 364 points. How do I know how much each point is worth?
Long story short: you'll pay more for a moderate than a deluxe when using DVC points.

Also, for initial buy in, I believe (??? correct me if I'm wrong), the minimum purchase is 100 points. Only mentioning this, b/c in your example, you said buying 50 points.

DVC points are intended for DVC resort stays. If you use them for anything else, Disney will make you pay. The cost for anything else increases each year and the high point cost wasn't enough so Disney tacked on a $95 fee on the original booking and for any booking changes.

:earsboy: Bill

Also, for initial buy in, I believe (??? correct me if I'm wrong), the minimum purchase is 100 points. Only mentioning this, b/c in your example, you said buying 50 points.

They actually said I could do a 50 point buy-in. And just for my knowledge, the buy-in points are different for each resort, correct?

I'm probably most interested in the BWV or the Beach Clubs across the lake. Where do I find the per point cost of that? (not the week stay total, but the point cost)

So is there anyone out there that happily does this? It's an option, I'm sure someone does it... Just curious about the motivations that lead one to utilize the option, from the perspective of someone who enjoys it. I could see if maybe you bought SSR or somewhere cheap back when points were super cheap... You can't necessarily transfer in to a Villa of your choice at 7 months. But inventory in the Collection is probably always available right? So it's a way to get a Contemporary room with SSR points. Sure that seems to cost you 50+ points per night, so it's on the order of a BLT 2B to stay in a CR Tower room, but hey if you don't need the 9-people of space, and you have lots of SSR points, which you probably got for 1/2 of what someone is buying BLT points for today... Couldn't it potentially be a good deal to someone? You're just spending points and a $95 fee, on a room that goes for in the range of $700/nt.

Last edited:
They killed use of resale points for Disney Collection in roughly 2011. So I think the number of people using "cheap points" for moderates is likely near 0.

So is there anyone out there that happily does this? It's an option, I'm sure someone does it... Just curious about the motivations that lead one to utilize the option, from the perspective of someone who enjoys it. I could see if maybe you bought SSR or somewhere cheap back when points were super cheap... You can't necessarily transfer in to a Villa of your choice at 7 months. But inventory in the Collection is probably always available right? So it's a way to get a Contemporary room with SSR points. Sure that seems to cost you 50+ points per night, so it's on the order of a BLT 2B to stay in a CR Tower room, but hey if you don't need the 9-people of space, and you have lots of SSR points, which you probably got for 1/2 of what someone is buying BLT points for today... Couldn't it potentially be a good deal to someone? You're just spending points and a $95 fee, on a room that goes for in the range of $700/nt.

I know others on this website do not agree with me.
I am one of those people who chooses to use my points for the Disney Collection (DCLs).
I paid for my OKW points back in the 90's that I use for DCLs. Paid within $1 for all points, used cash, I have covered my investment in the buy-in and MFs and am now taking yearly vacations with only MF costs per year. I have used my points for 7 DCLs and will continue to do so. I could not afford to take a DCL otherwise. I feel I get the value that I am looking for out of using my points in this manner cause I get the:
travel
food
entertainment
drinks
port fees/taxes
etc
all for $95 OOP.

I am one of those people who chooses to use my points for the Disney Collection (DCLs).
I paid for my OKW points back in the 90's that I use for DCLs. Paid within $1 for all points, used cash, I have covered my investment in the buy-in and MFs and am now taking yearly vacations with only MF costs per year. I have used my points for 7 DCLs and will continue to do so. I could not afford to take a DCL otherwise. I feel I get the value that I am looking for out of using my points in this manner cause I get the:
travel
food
entertainment
drinks
port fees/taxes
etc
all for $95 OOP.
In 30 years, I'll be you. I'll be saying, hey I bought my VGF points for only $165/point, so I'm gonna spend them on cruises!

travel
food
entertainment
drinks
port fees/taxes
etc
all for $95 OOP.
Right. But I am betting you would tell someone not to pay $176/point, plus the dues for CCV (ouch!) to trade into a Disney Moderate.

The math is pretty dire.

Initial minimum contract size at CCV is, I believe, 75 points. So that's 75x$176=$13,200 capital outlay. 50 years remaining, it's $3.52 per point per year.

Current annual dues at CCV are $7.3296.

So your cost per point for this year would be $10.85.

Even leaving out the $95 transaction fee, that would be $250/night in mid-August for a room with a rack rate of $246. When you then start accounting for the exchange fee and the fact that I can get a discount on that rack rate without tying up $13k in capital...

Back to my theoretical - if I were able to purchase a Vero Beach resort for $6000 and receive 100 points at the beginning of 2018, would I theoretically be able to get a sun-thur spot at any of the on property resorts?

Back to my theoretical - if I were able to purchase a Vero Beach resort for $6000 and receive 100 points at the beginning of 2018, would I theoretically be able to get a sun-thur spot at any of the on property resorts?
I'm Confused-are you still talking about trading into a moderate resort or do you mean book a Disney World DVC resort with Vero beach points?

Theoretically you can trade into any DVC resort at 7 months out. In practice that can be difficult at certain times of the year especially for specific resorts or specific room types. The fall through early Jan (after the marathon) tend to be extremely popular times to book and at 7 months may not have full availability. Studios tend to book up 1st along with villas that are the lowest point categories. Other times of the year aren't as difficult to book right at 7 months out but if your plan is to buy Vero beach points expediting to trade into the Grand Floridian or Boardwalk standard view villas every single time you will surely be disappointed.

My apologies. I did not mean trading into a moderate - just a flat out purchase of 100 points at Vero Beach for $6K.

We are really August vacation-ers at Disney. So probably within the first 2 weeks of August? And we would be happy campers with a studio. But yes, either Boardwalk or something at AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter