DVC point usage restrictions

hokie83

Earning My Ears
I was looking up information on transferring points and came across the following

DVC points bought via resale can only be used at the 14 original DVC resorts and not Disney’s new Riviera Resort or at the new Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge at Walt Disney World (once completed). Resale buyers at these new resorts will be limited to visiting their home resort.

I had not heard this before and wanted to see if anyone knows this to be true

Yes, that is absolutely true for any resale points bought after 1/9/19, or sometime around then.
Any resale Riviera points can only be used at that one resort, too.

Would resale Riviera points be able to be used at any new resorts such as Reflections when it is built or would they only be able to be used at Riviera?

Would resale Riviera points be able to be used at any new resorts such as Reflections when it is built or would they only be able to be used at Riviera?
They will only be able to be used at RIV.

No. If you buy Rivera on the resale market, it will only be good at Rivera. This restriction will substantially limit the pool of candidates willing to buy.

Those that want to stay at Rivera all the time, or, current owners who have enough other points to book the other resorts

They will only be able to be used at RIV.

this then carries a potential to have owners (both direct and resale) competing for rooms at 11 months (or 11 plus 7 days) because resale owners can’t use elsewhere and direct owners (presumably) would want to stay at their home resort most of the time. So depending on booking and planning habits, this could be a variable in deciding to buy or not at Riv.

Last edited:
this then carries a potential to have owners (both direct and resale) competing for rooms at 11 months (or 11 plus 7 days) because resale owners can’t use elsewhere and direct owners (presumably) would want to stay at their home resort most of the time. So depending on booking and planning habits, this could be a variable in deciding to buy or not at Riv.

Yes. If someone buys with Rivera to stay only at Rivera then it could be messy for direct owners down the road when there are resale contracts that have an impact. It could be why Disney has the language in the POS that allows them to change that.

Someone like me who is now considering a purchase...something I didn’t think I’d ever do..I can do that because I have points to use elsewhere so I’m okay with the competition we may run into down the road.

No. If you buy Rivera on the resale market, it will only be good at Rivera. This restriction will substantially limit the pool of candidates willing to buy.

Those that want to stay at Rivera all the time, or, current owners who have enough other points to book the other resorts

Since Disney wrote into the contracts that they could change the resale restrictions, I think it’s possible that when Reflections comes on board they could create DVC 2 at that time if they wanted to. I’m not saying they will or even that they want to, I just think they’ve kept that option open.

ETA meaning they could allow RIV resale to swap into Reflections and vice versa but not allow resale buyers of the L14 to do so. They’re keeping a lot of options open going forward!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!