DVC Point Rental Primer

Thanks to all who have contributed to this great thread and the one on effective contracts.

I think I'm ready to rent out some of our points. I have a contract from the other thread that I'm comfortable with, a price I plan to charge, terms such as down payment, etc.

The one question I have for those who have rented is what do you tell MS when calling to check on times, etc? I read one thread where the DVC member was told she wasn't allowed to rent her points and the MS person wouldn't help her. Yikes! :eek:

Any advice, comments?

Thanks!
Shellybird

Just tell them you are making a reservation and these are the names for the room. We do this all the time when we make ressies for the kids - DD is married, DS is from a former marriage, so none of the last names are the same. I really don't see any need to volunteer the information - none of their business IMO.

This is such an informative thread! Is there any way to make it into a sticky? We were at WDW last month and couldn't help noticing the flood of DVC promotional material--even our 7 yr old was asking if we knew "the best kept secret". I was wondering about DVC and thought we might get to experience it and find out whether we want to make a definite commitment by renting points first. This thread taught me a lot, thanks everyone!

thank you so much for posting this! I was about to ask just about all the questions that were answered. LOL One other question. Are the only things the member has to arrange for the renter dining & ME? If we want to purchase a Magic Your Way Premium package, is that possible when staying at a DVC? I'm not sure what all is included when you rent a DVC. Thanks so much for any help!

thank you so much for posting this! I was about to ask just about all the questions that were answered. LOL One other question. Are the only things the member has to arrange for the renter dining & ME?
Only the member may contact Member Services, so anything that gets added to the reservation (or changed or canceled) must be done by the member. That includes adding the Dining Plan, adding Magical Express, requests, names and addresses of the those in the traveling party, etc.
If we want to purchase a Magic Your Way Premium package, is that possible when staying at a DVC? I'm not sure what all is included when you rent a DVC. Thanks so much for any help!
DVC does not offer packages - you are on your own for tickets. You may purchase those in advance or at check in or not at all.

Great thread! Just had one question. Lets say I want to rent a 2 bedroom villa at BCV next sept (11 months away). If I find an owner whose home resort was BCV, they could book it 11 months out - is that right? Now if I can't find a BCV owner I have to wait until the 7 month time frame to rent points from a non BCV owner? This is just a hypothetical - unfortunately we won't be going until 2009 but am researching all our options. We're a family of 5 so - more space the better w/a kitchen and washer dryer would be awesome. I would love to stay at AKV but i'm sure so would thousands of others! Thanks for any info.

Lets say I want to rent a 2 bedroom villa at BCV next sept (11 months away). If I find an owner whose home resort was BCV, they could book it 11 months out - is that right?

yes.

Now if I can't find a BCV owner I have to wait until the 7 month time frame to rent points from a non BCV owner?

yes.

We're a family of 5 so - more space the better w/a kitchen and washer dryer would be awesome. I would love to stay at AKV but i'm sure so would thousands of others!

the nice thing about AKV is that a family of 5 has the option of squeezing into a 1BR (non-value) room, if some are younger and don't mind sleeping on a pullout. if you prefer to spend a little extra for a 2BR, i doubt you'll be disappointed.

Lets say I want to rent a 2 bedroom villa at BCV next sept (11 months away). If I find an owner whose home resort was BCV, they could book it 11 months out - is that right?

yes.

Now if I can't find a BCV owner I have to wait until the 7 month time frame to rent points from a non BCV owner?

yes.

We're a family of 5 so - more space the better w/a kitchen and washer dryer would be awesome. I would love to stay at AKV but i'm sure so would thousands

the nice thing about AKV is that a family of 5 has the option of squeezing into a 1BR (non-value) room, if some are younger and don't mind sleeping on a pullout. if you prefer to spend a little extra for a 2BR, i doubt you'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the info. We'll see in about a year what we can afford. At this point we're thinking of staying at the Poly or BC - maybe even POR.

Don't be surprised if you can rent a 2 br at a DVC resort for less than you can do at Poly or BC,if you are a little flexible.A family of 5 usually will need two hotel rooms so you double the cost of your lodging. When you get ready, do your homework and crunch some numbers and see where you are.

I remember reading somewhere where someone asked if maybe a review or referral thread might happen on here. Is that a possibility?? I am just asking because I am thinking about renting points for an ann. stay in Oct. 2008, (newbie renter) I have been reading some of the posts in the DVC rent/trade thread and a lot of people having points for rent are VERY new members on here. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that...(I don't have a lot of posts, but have been a member since 2003)....it just seems that there has to be SOME veterans on here that are renting points too. (And I would feel more comfortable buying rental points from someone established.) ;) But to the people who are renting that don't have many posts other than to rent dvc points, I am sure they want people to know that they have had good, safe transactions with other members on here. :thumbsup2

Also, thank you to all the people posting info on the rental process and some of the in's & out's of it.

Don't be surprised if you can rent a 2 br at a DVC resort for less than you can do at Poly or BC,if you are a little flexible.A family of 5 usually will need two hotel rooms so you double the cost of your lodging. When you get ready, do your homework and crunch some numbers and see where you are.

I am in hopes that we'll be able too. Monies are very tight now especially going into winter (oil, etc.). I will definitely keep researching.

I remember reading somewhere where someone asked if maybe a review or referral thread might happen on here. Is that a possibility??

This was looked at years ago, something along the lines of an E-Bay type feedback system.

This was rejected for a number of reasons, some of them being possible legal consequences.

The DIS would have no way to verify any feedback, and it's not uncommon that some people would have their friends, family, give them 'great feedback' to 'stack' the rating in their favor.

There are no plans to have any type of feedback system at this time, and it is highly unlikely any such system will ever be developed in the future.

I remember reading somewhere where someone asked if maybe a review or referral thread might happen on here. Is that a possibility?? I am just asking because I am thinking about renting points for an ann. stay in Oct. 2008, (newbie renter) I have been reading some of the posts in the DVC rent/trade thread and a lot of people having points for rent are VERY new members on here.

In addition to the concerns Caskbill outlined, a feedback system wouldn't help anyway for those who have very few posts. Obviously, they wouldn't have many transactions either so I don't know if that would help since there would be such small amounts of feedback.

I think they are talking about subletting.

You rent and need to cancel. Your landlord can't cancel without functionally losing their points, but they will allow YOU to rerent your reservation and they'll change the name on the reservation for you (which only the owner can do).

Just my 2 cents, but as an owner who has rented points I would not feel comfortable with this "clause" or arrangement.

One of the risks that the owner takes is the renter damaging the property and/or not following DVC rules during their stay. My rental agreement makes the renter liable for this, but it wouldn't protect me if the reservation was sublet to someone who is not under this contract.

And from the subletter's point of view, they have no contract with the only person that controls their reservation, the owner. They could send their money to the renter and would have no recourse if the owner cancelled the reservation.

I have a no-refund-no-cancellation policy, but I will try to work with a renter, if possible. And to address one of the "red flags," I do not think that is code for, "I don't know what I'm doing." It is my way of saying, "This is what we contracted, but if a situation arises and we can come to a different understanding, I am willing to make it a win-win if possible."

But IMHO subletting is a recipe for disaster all around!

Blahnde

This was looked at years ago, something along the lines of an E-Bay type feedback system.

This was rejected for a number of reasons, some of them being possible legal consequences.

The DIS would have no way to verify any feedback, and it's not uncommon that some people would have their friends, family, give them 'great feedback' to 'stack' the rating in their favor.

There are no plans to have any type of feedback system at this time, and it is highly unlikely any such system will ever be developed in the future.

In addition to the concerns Caskbill outlined, a feedback system wouldn't help anyway for those who have very few posts. Obviously, they wouldn't have many transactions either so I don't know if that would help since there would be such small amounts of feedback.

Thank you for letting me know & for all the info about this subject. :)

This thread has been a lot of help and one that I didn't know even existed until another poster gave me the link. Thanks!

Mods, as one who is very new to renting DVC, I think it would definately be beneficial to any "Newbie" (myself included) if there was a sticky for DVC Renting or maybe a sub-forum like the DDP thread on the Restaurant board. I've been researching DVC rentals and didn't know where to start initially until I was pointed to the DVC Boards (I'm mostly on the CB forums).

Is there a possibility for this?

. Check the owner's previous posting history by clicking on their user name and then Find More Posts

Please help me. I have tried doing this many times, with no success. What is wrong? Why won't it work for me. It should be very straightforward, but always comes back no match found.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter