DVC Owners - any interesting rental stories?

noisycricket

fan for the fam
Any owners willing to share interesting, or not-so-good rental experiences? Here to learn.

One of the recent threads on the DVC Member Services sub-forum made me wonder. I've rented out a reservation before. And it was smooth, but also with a little bit of nervousness since you never really know how reliable the renter is. If there's a better place for this question (or if there are old threads -- I couldn't find them), let me know.

ages ago & only to DVC members with references. My theory was that other members know “the drill” & it made for a smooth experience on both sides.

I will say that using David's was easy peasy. But when you rent you have to claim as income on taxes and it's just a minor pain we'd rather not have so we decided not to rent out anymore.

Quite a few years ago there was a scammer active here on DISboards who “rented” DVC reservations but wasn’t actually an owner. She was finally caught and shut down, although I can’t remember any details.

And some years after that, several rental reservations were cancelled by DVC on short notice. I can’t remember whether it was confirmed, but supposedly the owner hadn’t paid their MFs. Again, I can’t remember details.

Those are the only two incidents I can remember.

Does anyone remember the renter who kept their room bill below the charge amount for the room and then cancelled his charge card before checkout so the room bill (around $1500) had to be collected by Disney from the DVC point owner? They weren’t able to use their points/account until it was resolved. It scared me away from renting. Not sure of all the details because it was quite a few years back. It was quite an ordeal.

Quite a few years ago there was a scammer active here on DISboards who “rented” DVC reservations but wasn’t actually an owner. She was finally caught and shut down, although I can’t remember any details.

And some years after that, several rental reservations were cancelled by DVC on short notice. I can’t remember whether it was confirmed, but supposedly the owner hadn’t paid their MFs. Again, I can’t remember details.

Those are the only two incidents I can remember.
If I remember correctly that "scammer" had rented out several times with no problems at first then the "scamming " started and they rented out points/reservations they didn't have.

I rented RR once, paid both the federal and state taxes and Florida TOT and even at $20 a point I made a 4 dollar a point profit after maintenance fees and nothing if I factored in cost of the points.

Won’t be renting again.

Does anyone remember the renter who kept their room bill below the charge amount for the room and then cancelled his charge card before checkout so the room bill (around $1500) had to be collected by Disney from the DVC point owner? They weren’t able to use their points/account until it was resolved. It scared me away from renting. Not sure of all the details because it was quite a few years back. It was quite an ordeal.
this use to happen rather often many years ago. When folks checked in, Disney never check the CC on file and allowed these folks to charge a ton to the room only to find out after they checked out that the CC charge would not go through and the owners were on the hook for the charges.

this use to happen rather often many years ago. When folks checked in, Disney never check the CC on file and allowed these folks to charge a ton to the room only to find out after they checked out that the CC charge would not go through and the owners were on the hook for the charges.
Yep. That's why they now put a $100 hold on the CC and add to it each time the guest's charges pass $100.

For those who have used David's before, anyone tried their cruise swap? I know renting out points owners are responsible for paying the taxes from the rental income, but curious how that would work for cruise swap? 🤔

All but one of my rental experiences have been wonderful. There was one though that messaged me upon their arrival, upset that she was in a studio - which is exactly what she had paid for. It was really odd because my ad had said studio & listed everything that was in one, the contract said studio, and i had even sent her studio floorplans and photos. I think the posts of free upgrades had convinced her that she was going to get one (despite my telling her it was extremely unlikely). She did become rather nasty about it (i just won't ever rent to her again - there are too many really nice people to deal with someone like that).

Many rentals,,,I like and have some that ask back every year,,,,sad that I cant accommodate them all, only when I have extra. Never an issue and all from the rent/trade boards here.

Many rentals,,,I like and have some that ask back every year,,,,sad that I cant accommodate them all, only when I have extra. Never an issue and all from the rent/trade boards here.
Hi @ Mort! Sounds like you have developed some trusting relationships with several renters. What do you think led to that success? I will be renting up to 150 points every other year (SSR). Thanks!

Hi @ Mort! Sounds like you have developed some trusting relationships with several renters. What do you think led to that success? I will be renting up to 150 points every other year (SSR). Thanks!
The 1st time just comes down to the trust factor. After that repeat renters are easy, and it is easy for them as well.
Whenever I have rented, keeping an open communication is key. Responding to emails, or text if it comes to that, in a timely manner adds to the trust. Some that I have now I have let do payment plans, but the 1st timers I ask for full payment b4 45 days(my own reasons) or before I need to bank, whichever is 1st.
Good luck.

The 1st time just comes down to the trust factor. After that repeat renters are easy, and it is easy for them as well.
Whenever I have rented, keeping an open communication is key. Responding to emails, or text if it comes to that, in a timely manner adds to the trust. Some that I have now I have let do payment plans, but the 1st timers I ask for full payment b4 45 days(my own reasons) or before I need to bank, whichever is 1st.
Good luck.
Thanks so much! This is super helpful:). Where might I find a template for a contract to use when renting. Anything else you use to support your rental guarantee?

Thanks so much! This is super helpful:). Where might I find a template for a contract to use when renting. Anything else you use to support your rental guarantee?
I know they all say on here to have a contract,,,I dont use one. I am in Canada, most of my rentals are US. A piece of paper or computer write up is not going to be worth anything to me. If something went wrong, the time, travel, and cost to do anything for it wont support it.
This goes against a lot of what people say on here. I understand why some want one, on both sides.
That is why I said pp that there is a lot of trust on the 1st rental.
On the rent/trade board there is some samples I believe to look at.

Sounds logical. Do you ask to be paid via Venmo? I imagine Venmo makes one report a certain amount to IRS. What is the way you prefer to be paid?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter