DVC magic band is now Direct only

I qualify for a blue card-and have zero interest in this magicband-but I think this pattern of artificial scarcity to make things seem valuable that aren’t really is pretty sad. No real direct perks, so instead we will start restricting things that used to be available to all-and heck, we will restrict them to direct members AND charge for things that were free, like Top of the World access-and then like magic, people will want it! And direct members can feel Special!
Exactly - no innovation or effort to add value. A cheapo makeover of TOTW, An existing MB - LOL

If they need help here are some items that could add value and make direct more enticing. Besides adding back the APs.
1. Preferred 65 day for ADRs at your resort's top restaurant 1x per visit.
2. Preferred room requests 1x per year
3. Free MB for direct

Exactly. This is why I had a hard time believing that $160 for pizza in HS was a real perk for direct owners.🤣🤣🤣

It is a perk for Disney.

Exactly. This is why I had a hard time believing that $160 for pizza in HS was a real perk for direct owners.🤣🤣🤣

It is a perk for Disney.
While I don't agree with the $160 price tag (or the event in general) at Hollywood Studios, can we stop saying it is just "pizza". The announcement clearly states it is not:

More than just pizza, your festive feast includes delightful dishes inspired by holiday traditions around the world.

I’m waiting for them to start charging direct members for access to the Epcot lounge… or the “snacks” at the very least :rolleyes:

While I don't agree with the $160 price tag (or the event in general) at Hollywood Studios, can we stop saying it is just "pizza". The announcement clearly states it is not:
Reasonably certain the location was picked for its size and guest capacity. Otherwise, we’d be inundated with complaints about long lines, no place to sit, yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited:
Reasonably certain the location was picked for its size and guest capacity. Otherwise, we’d begin undated with complaints about long lines, no place to sit, yadda yadda yadda.
Agreed. It also closes at 5:00 each day so they aren't shutting down a Quickserve that is typically open.

Last edited:
I think this pattern of artificial scarcity to make things seem valuable that aren’t really is pretty sad.

Except you can buy these? They are not sold out or anything from what I saw.

I know what you are saying but you are not stating it correctly specific to this magic band. This is simply a limited offering to a specific type be WDW visitor. Not much different than AP magnets where you need to prove you who are to get the magnet.

It is just very petty of Disney.

I don't exactly understand what is petty? At this point direct vs non-direct is fairly clear. They are purposely trying to take steps to show fringe benefits to those who purchase direct.

People on here seem to take offense that Disney is building in a value preposition as to why someone would buy direct.

Is it also petty that hotel guests get a 30 min head start to the day over non-hotel guests? What about the additional discount AP/DVC get on food? Its all fairly minor things meant to give some semblance of value to the customer.

Maybe the point of my prior post was lost somewhere, but any Joe Blow can simply walk in and buy the thing in the resorts. No Blue Card/White Card needed, and all discounts accepted.

Has anyone actually tried to buy one on ShopDisney, or are we just jumping straight to the indignation/condemnation phase?

I don't exactly understand what is petty? At this point direct vs non-direct is fairly clear. They are purposely trying to take steps to show fringe benefits to those who purchase direct.

People on here seem to take offense that Disney is building in a value preposition as to why someone would buy direct.

Is it also petty that hotel guests get a 30 min head start to the day over non-hotel guests? What about the additional discount AP/DVC get on food? Its all fairly minor things meant to give some semblance of value to the customer.
Its the fact that anyone can buy one of these at Disney but they make it look exclusive online.

I think it would have been a nice option to maybe sell these types of things on-line only and just offer them to all DVC members and possibly only offer a discount for blue card so all DVC members can get them since they still are members. But I guess that gets into a whole can of worms with all of the resale restrictions and membership extras. I doubt if there is any money from direct DVC sales that is used for this Magicband.
Are resale owners members? I hesitate to say I am a member since I have just resale + 25 direct points (purchased this yr), so I feel like I don't count and am just an owner of points.

Its the fact that anyone can buy one of these at Disney but they make it look exclusive online.

Likely an oversight along with many other things in the in person stores. Eventually they might install touch points that can just read your memberships for discounts and purchase ability.

People were buying DVC APs for the longest time and that was actually costing Disney money.

Are resale owners members? I hesitate to say I am a member since I have just resale + 25 direct points (purchased this yr), so I feel like I don't count and am just an owner of points.

You are a member you just don't have access to membership extras which is where the blue card stuff falls. You can do whatever you choose but you shouldn't feel nervous stating it.

It even outlined here that the membership records change to you as the resale buyer.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/faq/reselling/resale-process

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter