DVC Discounts?

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I'm just curious what types of discounts do you get once you become a DVC member?

Just yesterday I copied the Member Perks and it took 16 pages, so I will only highlight:

Several of the WDW restaurants offer 10% off meals (20% at some Swan and Dolphin Resort restaurants).

There are discount at some of the golf courses (including the miniture golf courses).

10% savings at some of the resort spas. Discounts on some park tours (Behind the Scenes, Keys to the World, etc.).

10% off UPH passes.

Discounted water park, Pleasure Island and Disney Quest admission.

Discount at selected Downtown Disney Stores. Free valet parking.

A 10% discount at any Disney Store location (not including WDW Theme Park stores or WDW REsort stores).

There are also unique discounts at the Vero Beach Resort and the Hilton Head Resort.

But there is no guarantee that these will be available if and when you join. They change and have gotten fewer and farther between in the past years.

Have you used this perk?

I am thinking a quick getaway for DH and myself in May and it will be golf by day ~ Mickey by night! Leaving the kids behind!

I need golf details.

Originally posted by mitcam
Have you used this perk?

I am thinking a quick getaway for DH and myself in May and it will be golf by day ~ Mickey by night! Leaving the kids behind!

I need golf details.

that info is on the member website.

Does any one know what the actual discount would be on the water park tickets? I'm trying to decide on buying an AP or PAP. Thanks!

I'm not looking for Disney golf details I am looking for peoples opinions, I realize I can get info on the member website!

I want to know what courses people liked? How early did you book your T-times? Any courses a MUST or DON'T DO?

Thanks

Several of the WDW restaurants offer 10% off meals (20% at some Swan and Dolphin Resort restaurants).
Believe me, I am a HUGE Disney fan and defend them to the end. BUT, this is one thing that really irks me..........
Swan and Dolphin give a bigger discount at some of their restaurants for DVC owners and AP holders then Disney does!!! And it's Disney's vacation club and Disney's parks!!!!!! Am I the only one that finds this a little bit of a slap in the face from Disney?

DH and I are going in May, and he'll be golfing virtually every day. However, he won't be buying the DVC badge. It really only pays at that time of year if you use it for about 8 "person-rounds" (like 4 people, 2 rounds or 1 person, 8 rounds). Like the annual pass, if you're sure you're going again within a year, it might be worth it. Favorite course is Osprey-think that's a lot of people's favorite. If you're staying at OKW, gotta play LBV-he loves playing golf near his "home", sometimes waving to me on the balcony. It's hot in May, but there's plenty of water on the courses, so if you play after 10:00 am to get the best rates, it's still not that bad. And you can make reservations 60 days out.

Originally posted by mitcam
I'm not looking for Disney golf details I am looking for peoples opinions, I realize I can get info on the member website!

I want to know what courses people liked? How early did you book your T-times? Any courses a MUST or DON'T DO?

Thanks

Sorry about that, but, in your post you did ask for details.

Originally posted by disneychick05
Does any one know what the actual discount would be on the water park tickets? I'm trying to decide on buying an AP or PAP. Thanks!

4.00 for 10 and up 3.00 for 3-9 all water parks and 4.00 off all ages at PI.

Originally posted by BWVDee
Believe me, I am a HUGE Disney fan and defend them to the end. BUT, this is one thing that really irks me..........
Swan and Dolphin give a bigger discount at some of their restaurants for DVC owners and AP holders then Disney does!!! And it's Disney's vacation club and Disney's parks!!!!!! Am I the only one that finds this a little bit of a slap in the face from Disney?

Discounts are not personal or a reward for loyalty - they are just a tool for increasing revenue.

The Swan/Dolphin restaurants offer the larger discount because they need to attract more customers. Disney restaurants apparently don't.

Note that BlueZoo & Shula's don't offer a discount at all - to me that means they are doing just fine without one.

A former boss of mine gave me some advice early in my career that I've never forgotten and it seems to fit here as well.

Don't fall in love with a corporation (even Disney). It'll never love you back!!

Best wishes -

Discounts are not personal or a reward for loyalty - they are just a tool for increasing revenue.
This is not always true. I have seen many discounts or additional services that are given solely for loyalty or for belonging to a certain club etc. Frequent flyer miles, Emerald Isle National Car rental upgrades and by passing the car rental desk, AP discounts on resort rooms, special AP events open only to AP holders etc are just a few of many.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I certainly respect yours but IMO, it is a disgrace that Swan/Dolphin give better discounts to DVC members and AP holders than Disney does.

Dee,

Respectfully, I agree with CarolMN. DVC discounts - and all the others you mentioned - are given solely to increase the probability that you will spend your money at a given place; to increase revenue. I can assure you, no one in the boardrooms is deciding to give things away (discounts, or FF miles, or upgrades, etc.) just to give loyal customers the warm fuzzies. There had better be a net benefit to the company, or else management isn't doing its job.

When making the decision to buy into DVC at SSR&S, discounts played absolutely no part; if we use them, it's a bonus - if they go away (as some have, I'm told), well, we never counted on them to begin with.

All that said, I think that the list of DVC Discounts is rather long; perhaps not in the areas (APs, APs, did I mention APs?) that some would prefer, but still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick (and I've been poked in the eye with a sharp stick, so I should know! ;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter