DVC and divorce question

BEST OF LUCK:goodvibes to you; certainly a very difficult time!:hug:

Thank you.

:flower3: @bumbershoot

So sorry to learn that you are going thru this. Divorce sucks. Wishing you the best while you work thru the mess.

Thank you. It does in fact suck. I was a kid for two divorces and didn’t realize how much it sucked. I don’t know how my mom stayed sane. And she had it way worse with both of them. (Though she was rescued by a long lost love swooping in after the second)

I'd ask your lawyer about the best way to do this. You could put your name on and take his off at the same time as a family gratuitous transfer. That would not cancel any reservations and could cost as little as $175 if you want someone else to do so. I'd suggest LT transfers in this situation. Options, change it and keep it, change it and then sell later pocketing the money or selling now and splitting the money. It doesn't sound like a good time for you to own a timeshare but part of the equation is how do you end up with the most out of this. Certainly changing it, keeping it and renting could be the best plan though. Then you could see how it goes and make a final decision later. Just don't let it keep you from getting what's fair out of the divorce, don't forget to play up the yearly costs.

Dean, thanks for the specifics! I’ll think it through some more.

Would we need to have dues all paid up? We do it monthly now.

Bumbershoot, I'm so sorry. If you can do a deed transfer the way Dean is suggesting, it might be worthwhile to hang onto the points and rent them out to cover dues and put a little money in your pocket. Disney for you might not be a priority right now, but if there is no loan on the contract, you can pocket enough money to add a little income every year - and that might be more valuable than a lump sum now - especially if it ends up getting split in the divorce. You can always sell if you need the lump sum later.

From my first marriage - a piece of advice - if he's eager to get out and screwing you over, take as many of the assets as he is willing to sign over to you. Don't worry about fair. Make sure that your son's college is addressed and make sure you remain entitled to any retirement funds.

Thanks. I’ll think it through more with renting in mind. I’ve got some short term needs/wants, but the long term does need to be really scrutinized.

I’m taking all he has offered and I’ve asked for a few things.

WA is weirdly loosey goosey with divorce, and it’s FAST. So all we need is a plan and we’re good to sign on the dotted line a mere 90 days after I responded. If we wish to do it that fast. There are spousal support changes starting with decrees finalized January 1 2019 and beyond, and we’re thinking that through too. Or at least I am.

I am so sorry that it went down like that for you! I have no idea on what we are going to do , but at least this Disney community let's you know you are not alone.

Hope it works out for you, and there is always time for Disney !!LOL

Thank you. I’ve gotten some lovely messages from here, that’s for sure.

Sorry to hear what you're going thru! :hug:

I see that you've gotten a couple of recommendations similar to what I was going to say but I'll add that you might want to consider a bit more on keeping the membership. It may not be the time to be taking Disney vacations but unless your lawyer has a lot of familiarity with DVC they may not have any idea on how easy it is to rent out where you'll cover dues and have a little extra. It would allow you to keep it for when you are settled and on your feet and since your soon to be ex is offering I'd take him up on it. It also can be easily sold any time if it does become apparent you will need the full funds (I know you've shared your purchase experience and also think you have it all paid off now?). For now, I'd take it, say thanks, keep it and rent until the point is reached that you know it works to keep it and use it or that the day is at least coming or that you know you have to have the money from it and to sell it then.

You are correct about the lawyer! I said “oh and we have a timeshare”, and she scoffed at it. “It’s worth pennies”. Obviously she wouldn’t know about renting.

Robert didn’t even mention it to his attorney. He has no clue what he’s doing.

And you are correct; no loan anymore.

When my husband and I were discussing divorce, this is the plan we had with the lawyers - but since he makes SO much more, he was responsible for yearly dues Dan dh year.

Thankfully, councils g helped

OP - talk to your minister and pray - I hope things turn around for you

Wow you hit the lawyer phase and still turned it around! That’s impressive.

I hope it can happen for the Op too if it’s healthy for them.

This whole thing is rotten.

(Not going to happen for me. Being served by surprise plus a similar thing he did when we were engaged mean NO MORE chances. I’d never be able to leave my house or answer the door again.)

Sorry to hear what you're going thru! :hug:

I see that you've gotten a couple of recommendations similar to what I was going to say but I'll add that you might want to consider a bit more on keeping the membership. It may not be the time to be taking Disney vacations but unless your lawyer has a lot of familiarity with DVC they may not have any idea on how easy it is to rent out where you'll cover dues and have a little extra. It would allow you to keep it for when you are settled and on your feet and since your soon to be ex is offering I'd take him up on it. It also can be easily sold any time if it does become apparent you will need the full funds (I know you've shared your purchase experience and also think you have it all paid off now?). For now, I'd take it, say thanks, keep it and rent until the point is reached that you know it works to keep it and use it or that the day is at least coming or that you know you have to have the money from it and to sell it then.
Also, your lawyer is wrong when he says that now is not the time for Disney.

Disney is your thing, not his.

Now is NOT the time to allow him to take something that is uniquely yours away from you.

And I think that you’ll find in the next few years that whatever the cost of using your damned points on you, it’ll be worth it. Mark my words.

If he’s offering it, take it.

Keep your chin up.

Last edited:
Sadly, I’m dealing with this.

Alas I’m only the associate, but I’m also the only one who has been using the points happily. Funny, since HE was the one who insisted on purchasing bay lake.

He’s willing to just hand it over to me with no compensation (I have nothing to give and need everything he’s giving me).

Just wanted to say I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. I hope things work out for you.
And I like crisi’s advice.

Sadly, I’m dealing with this.

Alas I’m only the associate, but I’m also the only one who has been using the points happily. Funny, since HE was the one who insisted on purchasing bay lake.

He’s willing to just hand it over to me with no compensation (I have nothing to give and need everything he’s giving me).

But that seems to mean maybe first putting me on then taking him off. Two years ago I was trying to put me on, and I read everything here, but could NOT figure out how to do it.

And honestly, as my lawyer (still cannot get used to that) says... while I’m trying to get my life going and figuring out what I’ll do so I’m making a living in 5 years when spousal support is gone and my son is an adult, it’s not the time for Disney trips.

So I think I’m going to agree to sell and we’ll split the money.

Sigh.

I’ll buy in at VGF resale someday. Maybe.

Right now, aside from the anger I have over how he did all of this (I was 100% blindsided, no final argument, no “I wanna divorce!”...just being surprise-served with papers with my son right next to me), if he wanted to use the points, I could see it working. For a time. But I can also see it going very icky.

As the associate I didn’t have the perks unless he was with me (usually). And he hasn’t gone to a WDW park since January 2015. So...
Bumbershoot
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I agree with PP’s ... if at all possible to transfer name if no Loan.
Maybe rent out points for the meanwhile.... if possible. One day that trip will be magical again!
Also like a PP said...take everything he is willing to give!!!
Good luck

OP.....if it is possible to switch to your name I would do that. Sharing will be impossible unless one person(you)is in total control and will just make reservation for the other.
There will be so many things to navigate sharing of a Dvc can just bring bad vibes to a great memory place:-)
Good luck
Kerri

Dues would normally have to be paid up to complete the transfer so you'd have to pay the rest of the year at closing normally. Possibly they'd allow it to stand in this situation as long as it was in the name/account of the person taking it over, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

OP I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. But thank you for the space...

Also, your lawyer is wrong when he says that now is not the time for Disney.

Disney is your thing, not his.

Now is NOT the time to allow him to take something that is uniquely yours away from you.

And I think that you’ll find in the next few years that whatever the cost of using your damned points on you, it’ll be worth it. Mark my words.

If he’s offering it, take it.

Keep your chin up.

Thank you, Dean. Terrific perspective.

sjrec, thank you.

Bumbershoot
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I agree with PP’s ... if at all possible to transfer name if no Loan.
Maybe rent out points for the meanwhile.... if possible. One day that trip will be magical again!
Also like a PP said...take everything he is willing to give!!!
Good luck

Thank you so much.

Dues would normally have to be paid up to complete the transfer so you'd have to pay the rest of the year at closing normally. Possibly they'd allow it to stand in this situation as long as it was in the name/account of the person taking it over, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thank you so much.

Feeling our way through my daughter's shocking unexpected divorce as we speak and I just want to send thoughts and best wishes to you. It is the most stressful time in our lives.

I would never share points with an ex but I most certainly would find a way by hook or by crook to continue going to Disney. It has been our salvation of late. Thank goodness all our points are only in my & DH's name. Came very close to joint owners with the daughters. Very thankful I didn't.

Good luck to you.

@bumbershoot - Just wanted to add my two cents and say best to you and your sons future.
Some things happen for the best and we don't realize it because we are caught up in trying to live the life and make it work. I've been divorced and my best advice is to just move on and make your life the best you can - and keep your points! :grouphug:

Feeling our way through my daughter's shocking unexpected divorce as we speak and I just want to send thoughts and best wishes to you. It is the most stressful time in our lives.

I'm so sorry for your daughter and family. I know that this is stressing my aunt out immensely (my own mom passed before I even got married).

@bumbershoot - Just wanted to add my two cents and say best to you and your sons future.
Some things happen for the best and we don't realize it because we are caught up in trying to live the life and make it work. I've been divorced and my best advice is to just move on and make your life the best you can - and keep your points! :grouphug:

Thank you very much.

@Dean... I asked LT, but they were maybe a little vague (or maybe I was). On the form it has a space to check if it's because of a divorce, and of course you choose if it'll be deeded as a single person or married owning separately. Since it's a gratuitous family transfer, if it's done for divorce, is it going to end up different? Will I still get full benefits? This has been a sticking point for a week in my brain.

I wish I'd paid more attention to you about 2 years ago and just used a service like this to put me on the membership. Would have made this so much easier.

@Dean... I asked LT, but they were maybe a little vague (or maybe I was). On the form it has a space to check if it's because of a divorce, and of course you choose if it'll be deeded as a single person or married owning separately. Since it's a gratuitous family transfer, if it's done for divorce, is it going to end up different? Will I still get full benefits? This has been a sticking point for a week in my brain.

I wish I'd paid more attention to you about 2 years ago and just used a service like this to put me on the membership. Would have made this so much easier.
If one owner remains on the deed it will end up with benefits if there before the transfer.

But I was only the associate. That’s the problem.

Should do it while I’m still legally family. Sigh.

Yes do it while still legally married. Gratuitous family transfer. You should retain all direct benefits. Then rent out the points to cover the dues until you are financially able to take a vacation. Use a service so you don't have to deal with lots of people.

Ok so I won’t check the divorce box. Thank you.

We’re already delaying finalizing for health insurance reasons for me, so this will slot into that timeframe anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!