DVC and annual passes

longboard55

DIS Veteran
We got Grand Californian several years ago at half the price it is now which is great. But now we get killed on the APs prices. Anyone else feeling the pain

And there you have it with the updated language that specifically explains that a non block out date can be limited since AP holders at DL are in a different bucket than other type of tickets.

The plus to this is that maybe we will see sales resume of AP's at WDW with this updated language.

The old language looked like that too.

I am pretty sure there was nothing in the old language that specifically stated that there would be a set number of park reservations for AP holders vs. other types of tickets. That is what the whole lawsuit was about..it didn't make it clear that a non block out date was restricted in anyway...this is now clear that even a non block out day can be blocked if the AP bucket is out of reservations, even when a multi day ticket bucket is not.

ETA. DVC news also seems to indicate these are new terms and conditions to the renewals.

https://dvcnews.com/other-resources...-disneyland-magic-key-renewals-open-august-18

Last edited:
We got Grand Californian several years ago at half the price it is now which is great. But now we get killed on the APs prices. Anyone else feeling the pain
Holy cow! Those prices are insane! I definitely feel your pain. I’m hoping WDW annual passes will come back in time for my July 2023 trip, but if they are along the lines of the Disneyland prices I may just have to pass.

A Magic Key pass does not guarantee park entry, even on dates when a pass is not blocked out. Disney allocates daily park reservations among Magic Key passes, other passes and theme park tickets, and therefore makes available to those Magic Key holders eligible to make reservations for a particular day only a portion of the total park reservation capacity. Disney determines the number of park reservations available to Magic Key holders for any date, and Magic Key holders may access only those reservations that Disney makes available to them.

You can go when we say you can go!

A Magic Key pass does not guarantee park entry, even on dates when a pass is not blocked out. Disney allocates daily park reservations among Magic Key passes, other passes and theme park tickets, and therefore makes available to those Magic Key holders eligible to make reservations for a particular day only a portion of the total park reservation capacity. Disney determines the number of park reservations available to Magic Key holders for any date, and Magic Key holders may access only those reservations that Disney makes available to them.

You can go when we say you can go!
Love your last sentence!!!!
So true, and that’s why I am not, and probably will not, buy an AP.

Thankfully for consumers you can't sell something you don't actually have enough of, even if you put it in the terms and conditions.

Thankfully for consumers you can't sell something you don't actually have enough of, even if you put it in the terms and conditions.

Which is why Disney will control the number of passes that are in circulation to allow for those holders to get the bulk of the year as available when booking in advance. I see new sales being an on and off type of thing in the future.

As renewals don't happen, they will open up for more sales, etc. But, as it stands, this new language lets all consumers know clearly what you are and are not buying, which was the issue before...it implied being blocked out meant everyone...now it does not.

It's why I think we will see WDW passes, all of them, blocked from the start for Xmas, just like the DL passes....and why I think the rumored afternoon bucket system go into place as well that allows more reservations for those without resort stays that start later in the day.

Which is why Disney will control the number of passes that are in circulation to allow for those holders to get the bulk of the year as available when booking in advance. I see new sales being an on and off type of thing in the future.

As renewals don't happen, they will open up for more sales, etc. But, as it stands, this new language lets all consumers know clearly what you are and are not buying, which was the issue before...it implied being blocked out meant everyone...now it does not.

It's why I think we will see WDW passes, all of them, blocked from the start for Xmas, just like the DL passes....and why I think the rumored afternoon bucket system go into place as well that allows more reservations for those without resort stays that start later in the day.
Or other attendance buckets drop off enough that they need aps again.

Or other attendance buckets drop off enough that they need aps again.

Exactly. But, what they have done...which is what they didn't before (hence the lawsuit) is make the terms and conditions regarding the buckets clear. So, it allows Disney to play with attendance, and keep the reservation system in place, as well as keep some level of a yearly pass in play for the times when they want/need it. They can shift spots based on the data they have, which is what they wanted from the start...just didn't have the correct info out there for the consumer.

This change will hit locals harder than the onsite guest, like a DVC owner, since currently, we are not limited to the number of park passes we can hold that match the resort reservations we have.

I do imagine that there will be some who don't choose an AP, but I honestly don't think we will see so many days sold out to AP's vs ticket holders far in advance, but rather closer to actual dates or holiday times that are not blocked from the start.

As long as they continue to allow park passes to be booked far in advance, then at least for the DVC owner, it should work the way it has always worked...other than holidays if they no longer sell a pass that works over Xmas time.

Last edited:
Exactly. But, what they have done...which is what they didn't before (hence the lawsuit) is make the terms and conditions regarding the buckets clear. So, it allows Disney to play with attendance, and keep the reservation system in place, as well as keep some level of a yearly pass in play for the times when they want/need it. They can shift spots based on the data they have, which is what they wanted from the start...just didn't have the correct info out there for the consumer.

This change will hit locals harder than the onsite guest, like a DVC owner, since currently, we are not limited to the number of park passes we can hold that match the resort reservations we have.

It's still illegal if one ap holder can't get in because the bucket is full.

I can't tell you I'm selling you a car but I only have 1 available and 3 people have paid me for it, even if I put it in the fine print.

It's still illegal if one ap holder can't get in because the bucket is full.

I can't tell you I'm selling you a car but I only have 1 available and 3 people have paid me for it, even if I put it in the fine print.

We will agree to disagree on that because you are not guaranteed entry every single day of the year. If you don't like those terms, don't buy it. Now, if you buy an AP and get blocked every single day, even with advance notice, sure.

That isn't and won't happen...its not happening now...because Disney could simply eliminate the passes if they want to..and they will control how many are out there....

The car example is apples to oranges since you are talking one item....AP's at DL have two parks, and hundreds of days they can use it.....pretty hard to prove that the ticket you bought can't be used as intended.

WDW has 4 parks to use the passes...so, again, pretty hard to say you were blocked an unfair amount of time.

Sorry, but if someone buys an AP and gets 200+ days of admission, but is blocked, one, they can't claim they didn't get what they paid for when it was clear from the start.

Last edited:
Disney does not want the AP holders in Disneyland like they are now. But the AP holders will still want to be there. This is going to get really interesting to see how this all plays out in the next year or so.

At Disney World I wonder if it could possibly get dicey around holidays and race weekends for the locals?

Disney does not want the AP holders in Disneyland like they are now. But the AP holders will still want to be there. This is going to get really interesting to see how this all plays out in the next year or so.

At Disney World I wonder if it could possibly get dicey around holidays and race weekends for the locals?

As I mentioned, I bet the blocking of passes around the holidays will be for every single pass at WDW as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter