DVC and ability to go with the flow

denecarter

OKW 2003
Was checking the Theme Parks Board and found a thread

Evening Extra Magic Hour! (VERY LONG POST)

Anyway, the gist of it is, WDW is trying a mixture of morning and evening EMH and some of the folks are getting so worked up about it!

It kind of annoys and amuses me at the same time how people say "We're early risers so we want morning hours!". Well, that's nice... works well for folks with younger children and from the east coast. How about those of us with teenagers who aren't into the idea of going to bed early or hanging out at Pleasure Island or Downtown Disney every evening? How about folks from different time zones? I think there is room at WDW for everyone... early birds and night owls, young and old, people into PI/DTD at night and people into RnRC/ToT at night.

Another major complaint (and this is how it applies to DVC) is that they've made all these plans and now the plans may be messed up. In my commando days, that would have applied to me. I'll always be a planner; but luckily, DVC gives me the opportunity to go with the flow since I know I'm returning... I make a few, general plans, learn everything I can about the time I'm going to be there, and go armed with information so I can modify and adjust based on the circumstances at hand.

Life just seems less stressful at DVC!

I like the idea even if I have small kids. Mix it up a bit. I heard about this on the rumors board awhile back. From the post you referred to it sound s a little more official. We usually don't make it to the early hour anyway. Gives everyone a chance to enjoy some extra hours! Maybe this is why WDW has been so poor to respond to the lack of E-nights.

I am with you, denecarter, DH and I are "go with the flow" people since becoming DVC members and AP holders. We just returned from a 6 day stay over Easter and wandered into the parks when we felt like it. No more commado touring for us!

I, too, am amused by those who complain that now their whole "Schedule" is messed up by the "extra hour" in the evening.

I, for one, will appreciate the extended evening hours and our family always took advantage of the E-Ticket nights when we were there. I am NOT one to get up early on vacation but staying up late is an option that I prefer!

DVC makes it SO much easier, doesn't it?

pin

It sounds like a great idea to me! I've been to one early opening in all my trips to WDW --- having extra time in the evening would be terrific in my book.

Do you ever get the feeling that no matter what Disney does, someone will be unhappy? ;)

I also agree that knowing we've got years of trips ahead helps to look at everything differently. I can really enjoy a Christmas Week trip because I know I don't have stand in a single line if I don't want to! :)

midnight opening MK .
I certainly remember the ability in the summer to stay by the pool at bwv until it stormed at 4:00pm at which time we left the pool ,dressed and went to the park until midnight.

I love this idea. It gives options to everyone. We rarely get up early for EE. I wonder if the attractions will be open later or just the gift shops and restaurants.

I think that this is a great idea, and I hope the test goes so well they make it permanent. If I'm to get an extra hour or three in a park, I'd much rather have it at night then at 6 or 7 AM. And yes, DVC does make it a lot easier to adjust.

I am a little torqued off, though, about some of the posters in the other thread and their "this is terrible - 20 hours of planning down the drain" attitude. If I understand correctly, Disney is now giving away - totally free - to on-site guests what they used to charge for on e-nights. This is great; just the kind of thing I've been seeing DVCers ask for: "Why doesn't Disney do something nice for on-site (and/or DVC) guests at a low/no cost?" Yet the minute they do, the sniping, the snarking and the moaning commence. That'll send the right message to Eisner; "We tried to give them extra hours, but such a whining went through the Internet...." Yeesh.

Once again, tjkraz said it best - 'yes, we all make plans, but we've got to be able to go with the flow without losing any sleep'.

Sorry 'bout the rant.:rolleyes:

We like the idea of extra evening hours...hope they have some when we are there in June.

While on vacation we like to sleep in a bit and not have to worry about not getting up on time for the EE.

I like the idea that Disney is trying something new and different. The thought of getting everyone up at 6:00 AM to get to an early entry never went over too well with my crew anyway.

Originally posted by PamOKW
...(snip).....Do you ever get the feeling that no matter what Disney does, someone will be unhappy? ;)............

ITA. Can't recall even one minor change (or rumored change for that matter, LOL) that didn't generate a flood of posts bewailing the change. And that applies to those of us who post on the DVC Forum, too. :teeth:

Originally posted by CarolMN
Can't recall even one minor change (or rumored change for that matter, LOL) that didn't generate a flood of posts bewailing the change. And that applies to those of us who post on the DVC Forum, too.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

if i had stayed commando i'd still be returning from vacation needing a vacation, now i keep the day before traveling free so i can do any last minute planning and make a feed store run(2 horses,3 dogs, 6 cats) and we always leave the day after open so we can take the bump, (love a free flight)
although i think the almost hourly jet blue out of jfk is killing off the non holiday ny bump opportunities, haven't had a bump from southwest out of macarthur in over 2 years
so i'd have to say about the extended park hours, bring them on
fit's right into our pap, no ps dvc style of vacation

honey what park are we doing today,

reply: i don't know, let's just jump into the disney river and see where it take us
pirate:

The only time of day it's hard for me to "go with the flow" is when the parks first open and I know the lines will be short for a couple of hours. We can usually do all the rides we want before noon and then "let the river take us. BUT we never use extra magic. I would be up and there early but my family are slugs in the morning.

So we avoid the EMH park in the morning assuming it will be more crowded after the magic.

Likewise, we don't like riding rides late at night. We like eating cookies and looking at the lights and strolling around and sitting in the jacuzzi tub. So it wouldn't make any difference to our plans -- unless fireworks/parades are affected -- then we might have to adjust a little for that.

According to information being posted on the theme parks forum, the new EMH program will retain the early entry hours as well as adding the later hours. It would be hard to find fault with this idea, if true.

I am all for expanding the hours, be it at the beginning or end of the day, makes no difference to me. With expanded hours it allows more people to adjust their touring times/plans to suit their needs. Some days we like to head out early, some days we like to stay out late, everyday we just like to be casual and enjoy.

I was lead to understand that not all WDW resorts will be able to take advantage of the extra evening hour. Do we know yet if the DVC resorts will?

I assume all of this means the crowds are back up.

This is what is posted on the All Ears Network website. I think it sounds great! I hope they do it the week of July 4th!:

http://www.allearsnet.com/news/hnews.htm

WDW To Test Variations of Extra Magic Hours in May!

WDW will be testing out new variations to the Extra Magic Hour Program in May by having both morning and evening hours for resort guests.

From May 9 -22 a test period will be held to allow resort guests to have the opportunity to not only visit the theme parks one hour early, but also as many as 3 hours in the evening after the park's stated closing time. Extra Magic Hours will be offered 8 times during the course of a week.

Any WDW resort guest, including those staying athe the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin, as well as the Lake Buena Vista Hilton may take advantage of this special program. Shades of Green guests may participate in the morning program only.

Offerings by Day of Week (May 9-22)

Sunday - Epcot (evening)
Monday - Disney's Animal Kingdom (morning)
Tuesday - Disney-MGM Studios (evening)
Wednesday - Epcot (morning); Magic Kingdom (evening)
Thursday - Disney's Animal Kingdom (evening)
Friday - Magic Kingdom (morning)
Saturday - Disney-MGM Studios (morning)

Attraction offerings may differ depending on anticipated attendance levels.

If you plan to use a Single-day Ticket media and want to take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours (morning or evening), your ticket will need to be used at the park offering the Extra Magic Hours.

FASTPASS may be available during evening Extra Magic Hours.

This program does not replace E-Ride nights, which are expected to begin again during the summer.

Once available, a schedule will be posted on www.disneyworld.com.

Currently, each morning a different WDW theme park opens one hour early for resort guests at no charge.

Originally posted by DrTomorrow
I think that this is a great idea, and I hope the test goes so well they make it permanent. If I'm to get an extra hour or three in a park, I'd much rather have it at night then at 6 or 7 AM. And yes, DVC does make it a lot easier to adjust.

I am a little torqued off, though, about some of the posters in the other thread and their "this is terrible - 20 hours of planning down the drain" attitude. If I understand correctly, Disney is now giving away - totally free - to on-site guests what they used to charge for on e-nights. This is great; just the kind of thing I've been seeing DVCers ask for: "Why doesn't Disney do something nice for on-site (and/or DVC) guests at a low/no cost?" Yet the minute they do, the sniping, the snarking and the moaning commence. That'll send the right message to Eisner; "We tried to give them extra hours, but such a whining went through the Internet...." Yeesh.

Once again, tjkraz said it best - 'yes, we all make plans, but we've got to be able to go with the flow without losing any sleep'.

Sorry 'bout the rant.:rolleyes:

I totally agree with you. what is up with these people complaining, they all need to relax. This is one heck of a wonderfull idea and I hope it stays forever. I remember on the last trip I was on my Sister wished that they would keep the parks open past 8 or 9 PM.She said that "WDW is like a ghost town past 9 PM except DTD and The Boardwalk." And she was exactly right with this remark. I just hope all the people complaining do not ruin this wonderfull idea.

I love visiting the parks at night - it's so magical with all the lights. I too used to be comando... then became and AP holder and now just bought DVC... relaxation and Disney here I come.

I agree about being DVCers and the fact that it decreases your stress factor.

DH and I often tell people who ask us what the benefits of owning are:
If we don't do it this trip, we'll do it next trip, because we know we'll be back, and probably within a few motnhs".

It's a beautifull thing!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter