DVC Add On credit card purchase question

DVC_Corrys

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
We are adding on direct. We have the cash but they will let us pay all in CC with no fee. Anybody have any recommendations on best card to use? Also, does anyone know what category the transaction would post?

Hi all,
We are adding on direct. We have the cash but they will let us pay all in CC with no fee. Anybody have any recommendations on best card to use? Also, does anyone know what category the transaction would post?
Are you considering getting a new card just for this purpose or are you deciding between specific cards you have? Several people on the boards have noted that DVC can come up as "travel" and earn bonuses on that, but really it depends what the options are

Are you considering getting a new card just for this purpose or are you deciding between specific cards you have? Several people on the boards have noted that DVC can come up as "travel" and earn bonuses on that, but really it depends what the options are

We have some cards that have travel bonuses but we are open to opening new cards for the sign up bonus AND travel bonus.

with current offers For Aulani if I geta good bonus it almost makes it same price as resale.

I opened a Chase Freedom Unlimited for our last direct purchase, with 0% interest for 15 months and 1.5% back.

Late to answering, but the Chase Sapphire Reserve codes timeshare as travel, so you’d get 3% back.

I tend to use the Disney Premier for 2% back and 6 months 0% interest. As they’ll often let you break payments over 90 days, this is like having 6-9 months at 0% interest.

I've always wondered if you finance direct can pay your monthly payment with Disney Visa and still get 2% in rewards? I know you can pay your loan payment with a credit card.

I've always wondered if you finance direct can pay your monthly payment with Disney Visa and still get 2% in rewards? I know you can pay your loan payment with a credit card.

AFAIK, They will not accept monthly payments via the credit card.

But we have only paid in full, broken up over a few months.

Late to answering, but the Chase Sapphire Reserve codes timeshare as travel, so you’d get 3% back.

I tend to use the Disney Premier for 2% back and 6 months 0% interest. As they’ll often let you break payments over 90 days, this is like having 6-9 months at 0% interest.
These are the 2 cards I’m struggling between. We’re hoping/planning to add on a fixed week at VGF2 once they start sales. I know my hubby would prefer the 0% + 2% that the Disney visa offers (we currently have the free Dis visa, but would obvs upgrade it to the premier prior to a DVC purchase for the extra 1%)… but when I look at the points that could be gotten with the Sapphire Reserve on that same purchase, I know there is (a lot!!) more value there so I’d rather just bite the bullet… it’s a really tough decision!!

As others have said...

CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE or
to a slightly lesser extent CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED

If you own a small business, LLC, etc apply for CHASE BUSINESS PREFERRED INK
---note that I read that you may not even need to own a bonafide business. esp. if you do freelance work or sell stuff on the side. you can use your SSN over your Tax ID when they ask for it.

Timeshare purchases are coded as Travel so that's 3pts per dollar spent on Chase.

Cash Back Examples, assuming $20k Timeshare Purchase - Assuming NEW application

CS Reserve (CSR):

50,000 Bonus Points after $4k Spend in 120 Days
$20,000 Purchase = 60,000 Points
$550 Annual Fee (Offset by $300 Annual Travel Credit + many other benefits that are worth it in my opinion)

Point Redemption Options (not incl. travel-related redemption):
1. Straight Cash Back, points are worth $0.01/point
2. Pay Yourself Back, points are worth $0.015/point
(Pay Yourself Back is similar to a Statement Credit. When you make eligible purchases on the card, you can get a statement credit for each transaction using points.)

Expected Savings:
110,000 x 0.015 = $1650 - $250 Annual Fee (after Travel Credit) = $1400 Cash Back

CS Preferred (CSP):
60,000 Bonus Points after $4k Spend in 120 Days
$95 Annual Fee

2. Pay Yourself Back, points are worth $0.0125/point
(Pay Yourself Back is similar to a Statement Credit. When you make eligible purchases on the card, you can get a statement credit for each transaction using points.)

Expected Savings:
120,000 x 0.0125 = $1500 - $95 = $1405 Cash Back

Chase Ink Business Preferred (CIBP):
100,000 Bonus Points after $15k Spend in 120 Days
$95 Annual Fee

2. Pay Yourself Back, points are worth $0.0125/point

Expected Savings:
160,000 x 0.0125 = $2000 - $95 = $1905 Cash Back

NOTE: IF YOU ALREADY HAVE CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE or PLAN TO OPEN BOTH, you should be able to transfer your points from either CSP or CIBP to your CSR, which has the .015 redemption value.

Expected Savings combining CSR AND CIBP:
100,000 CIBP Bonus
45,000 CIBP Spend Points ($15k Spend x 3)
50,000 CSR Bonus
15,000 CSR Spend Points ($5k Spend x 3)
210,000 Total Points, all xferred to CSR x 0.015 = $3150 - $345 Annual Fee Total = $2805

Sorry, I thought about this WAY too much. I LOVE Maximizing Credit Card Bonuses

EDIT: Take note that Chase employs a 5/24 Rule. If you opened 5 Credit Card Accounts on Chase over the last 24 months, they will likely deny you.

NOTE: IF YOU ALREADY HAVE CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE or PLAN TO OPEN BOTH, you should be able to transfer your points from either CSP or CIBP to your CSR, which has the .015 redemption value.
Just want to quick mention that Chase is very serious about certain rules- one is that you cannot own 2 sapphire cards at the same time (CSP & CSR). You must cancel one before you can apply for the other, and you will not get the new cardholder bonus if you’ve had *any/either* sapphire bonus within the past 48 months!!
Sorry, I thought about this WAY too much. I LOVE Maximizing Credit Card Bonuses
Haha! I totally get it. I love to maximize! If I’m going to spend, I like being rewarded. 😉

Just want to quick mention that Chase is very serious about certain rules- one is that you cannot own 2 sapphire cards at the same time (CSP & CSR). You must cancel one before you can apply for the other, and you will not get the new cardholder bonus if you’ve had *any/either* sapphire bonus within the past 48 months!!

Haha! I totally get it. I love to maximize! If I’m going to spend, I like being rewarded. 😉

Thank you for that info! I wonder if that also applies to Chase Business Ink Preferred since they fall under the Chase Ultimate Rewards umbrella. Would you happen to know by any chance?

My dad is actually going to be applying for the CBIP but he did apply for CSP last year.

Thank you for that info! I wonder if that also applies to Chase Business Ink Preferred since they fall under the Chase Ultimate Rewards umbrella. Would you happen to know by any chance?

My dad is actually going to be applying for the CBIP but he did apply for CSP last year.
You can have many ultimate rewards cards, but you can only have one sapphire at a time.

To clarify the 5/24 rule, Chase doesn’t just mean 5 chase cards opened in 24 months, it’s 5 cards from ANY bank. Store cards that can only be used at a particular store but are not a Mastercard/visa/amex don’t count against you though. If you have business cards like the ink or amex business cards they don’t count either.

We always use our Disney Visa because you get 6 months interest free. And they let you spread payments out for up to 90 days.

So, we get the rewards and get to pay over time, even though we had the cash to buy.
When we purchased direct with credit card we were given 14 days to complete payment. We didn’t ask about spreading it out, but it certainly wasn’t something they volunteered.

When we purchased direct with credit card we were given 14 days to complete payment. We didn’t ask about spreading it out, but it certainly wasn’t something they volunteered.

They don’t volunteer it. But I had asked because I wanted to hit different billing cycles!

Guide said not a problem so we did it about 30 days apart. I am hoping to ask for the 90 days when I buy VGF soon..assuming the price is where I want it to be!

They don’t volunteer it. But I had asked because I wanted to hit different billing cycles!

Guide said not a problem so we did it about 30 days apart. I am hoping to ask for the 90 days when I buy VGF soon..assuming the price is where I want it to be!
Good info if we ever add on again. Because of their per card limit per transaction I had to call a couple of times. I would have them charge the max limit on the card (their limit, not my cards limit) then schedule a payment on the credit card, once cleared then I called back and had a second charge placed.

I’ll be interested to hear if you can get the 90 days. That’s what we did back in 2018. I asked our guide a week ago and he said it wasn’t an option and cash transactions needed to be settled in 30 days. I wonder if we can still do it but may need to fight for it.

These are the 2 cards I’m struggling between. We’re hoping/planning to add on a fixed week at VGF2 once they start sales. I know my hubby would prefer the 0% + 2% that the Disney visa offers (we currently have the free Dis visa, but would obvs upgrade it to the premier prior to a DVC purchase for the extra 1%)… but when I look at the points that could be gotten with the Sapphire Reserve on that same purchase, I know there is (a lot!!) more value there so I’d rather just bite the bullet… it’s a really tough decision!!
Disney will also let you split between more than one credit card, so you could put some on one and some on the other. I did this when adding on once. I did deposit + 30 days on the Sapphire Reserve and 60 days and 90 days on Disney Visa.

I’ll be interested to hear if you can get the 90 days. That’s what we did back in 2018. I asked our guide a week ago and he said it wasn’t an option and cash transactions needed to be settled in 30 days. I wonder if we can still do it but may need to fight for it.

I will definitely be trying it! It is possible they have changed the rules if you were told 30 days just a few weeks ago.

Yes, as @zapple implied you can hold both the CBIP & CSP at the same time. Only the Sapphire types require you to choose just one, whereas the others are under completely different ”umbrellas” within Chase and play well together. 😉 I especially love having both Freedom cards in addition to my CSR!! They are wonderful cards to get and keep forever- they continue to add great value to my UR points-earning capabilities while the CSR lets me spend them the best 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!