Drying wet shoes

Amyg

DIS Veteran
If we get caught in the rain in our athletic shoes, how can we get them dry by the next morning? And I don't want to have to put them in a dryer either.

Although we are bringing three pairs of various footwear, I might want to wear the same ones the following day since they are the only athletic shoes that I have and I'm not about to buy another pair since we will be leaving in a week.

Anyone experienced with this issue?

We took 2 pair of sneakers each and alternated wearing them. I had 1 pair of athletic shoes and 1 pair of Keds. I would just set the wet sneakers out, wear the other sneakers the next morning, and by the afternoon the others were usually dry. Another idea is to use the hair dryer to dry the wet sneakers faster or set them on a chair so the air conditioner can blow on them.

rlrx said:
We took 2 pair of sneakers each and alternated wearing them. I had 1 pair of athletic shoes and 1 pair of Keds. I would just set the wet sneakers out, wear the other sneakers the next morning, and by the afternoon the others were usually dry. Another idea is to use the hair dryer to dry the wet sneakers faster or set them on a chair so the air conditioner can blow on them.

I think your best bet is the TWO pairs of sneakers...or pair of sandals and sneakers...maybe wearing the sandals like MERRILLS or TEVAS on a day you are doing your "wet" rides...or IF you think it may get stormy that day you are at the Parks....
Another idea is throw some dryer sheets in your suitcase and put a dryer sheet in those WET sneakers...it will avoid any odors while they are drying out!!!
ALSO, one more idea...CROCS are great for rain/water rides!!!

We went last May/June and were caught in rain. Shoes did NOT dry overnight. Definitely plan on wearing a different pair the next day if yours get wet. Wet shoes/socks = killer blisters.

We were in AK in the rain last week. I had Rafters flip flops on my feet but everyone else in my party had sneakers on theirs. The flip flops were great and I wasn't worried about my feet getting wet. When we got back to the room for an afternoon break we put the sneakers outside our room (it had stopped raining). At night we brought them inside, but everyone had an extra pair of shoes so they didn't have to wear the wet ones. It's harder for shoes to dry in the air conditioned room.

As for drying them in the clothes dryer, it's posted in the laundry that you are not supposed to put shoes in the dryer. Guests were doing it, but DH said he was there when someone was told to remove them to prevent damaging the dryer.

Another guest said there was information posted somewhere about using the "brown" paper towels, by stuffing them inside your shoes it would absorb the wetness. I haven't tried it.

We put our wet sneakers on the ground outside the room, the hot air that blows out from the back of the A/C helped dry them pretty quick!

After expereincing several wet summers as a camp supervisor, I've come up with a shore fire solution to dry over night. Stuff each sneaker with newspaper! The paper absorbs the dampness in the shoe within a few hours with no need for a fan or dryer. :thumbsup2

Avoid bringing unecessary shoes---I was so worried about blisters that I ended up packing several pairs of shoes for each member of the family, which filled a suitcase, almost. DH thought I was crazy. I wore my super comfortable Mion current sandals the whole trip, and the only one who changed shoes was DD and DS, but they had blisters anyway.

pezheadmeg said:
After expereincing several wet summers as a camp supervisor, I've come up with a shore fire solution to dry over night. Stuff each sneaker with newspaper! The paper absorbs the dampness in the shoe within a few hours with no need for a fan or dryer. :thumbsup2

I was going to suggest this also! Works wonders.

I sprayed our sneakers, one year, with waterproofing. I bought it in Wal-Mart, in the shoe department.

It worked pretty good.

Here's what we do. We all wear sneakers, but buy junky 2.00 flip flops and carry them all around in one backpack-they're pretty light weight and someone is always carrying some sort of bag anyway. When we go on water rides or if it starts to rain real hard, we will swtich into our flip flops and stuff our shoes into the back pack. I can't stand wet socks, so this has been a technique that we have come to love.

I'll second inloveindisney's idea. We did this in Feb and it worked great, the $2 discount store flipflops weighed nothing and were worth the effort. The fact that they took up extra space caused me & DH to both take backpacks but that left more room for our bottled waters (saved a ton of $) and as we drank them the empty space was used for the sneakers & or WDW presents:)

We learned the hard way in June 2005 that sneakers don't dry quickly in the Florida humidity. We got caught in a downpour in AK and all our sneakers were SOAKED through & through. We left them on the balcony at AKL for 3 days befor ethey dried...I was floored and very thankful we all also had sandels. I don't think our room in the AK had and useful vents.

Newspaper, like a couple others suggested. Learned this trick from one of my old soccer coaches...it really works!

We just wear watershoes ( good tennis shoe type Northface Teva,Ecco,Solomons ) or our Keens .DD and DW also wear Vegs or Crocs We don't even take regular sneekers down this time of the year.

pezheadmeg said:

Papertowels also work. Stuffed DS sneakers overnight and in the morning they were dry. :bounce:

Newspaper also gets out the sweaty feet smell, not like anybody here really needs it. :bounce:

we buy the dollar tree flip flops and wear them for the water rides, i hate wet feet!!!!!!!

My DS is the only one who has two pairs of athletics and I'm not about to buy yet another pair of shoes for myself. In any case, I have a pair of Athens II which I'll change into when it begins to rain or when we go on rides the we'll get wet on.

I think we'll use newspaper of paper towels to stuff in our shoes. Thanks for the great ideas!

Seven more days and we're there! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter