Driving vs. Disney Transportation?

I mean the Ferry's for Downtown because we're staying at POFQ and they have a ferry boat that goes directly DTD.

The ferry's should be a lot better since its from the two Po resorts as opposed to buses shared by all.

That boat is nice, but it is a LONG trip. If time is of the essence, I'd still drive to DtD. We stayed at POFQ before, and while we enjoyed the trip, we ended up using our car the next time we went to DtD. 5 minutes vs. 45 minutes (including the wait for the boat).

I also wanted to congratulate you! :) How exciting! My fiance and I will be going down April 2014 for our Honeymoon.

Thank you and Congrats Right back to you. I hope the wedding goes great and the trip is heaven.

That boat is nice, but it is a LONG trip. If time is of the essence, I'd still drive to DtD. We stayed at POFQ before, and while we enjoyed the trip, we ended up using our car the next time we went to DtD. 5 minutes vs. 45 minutes (including the wait for the boat).

Thanks that's helpful to know, I'm just nervous at the thought of driving since we will be drinking while we're in downtown and as said we don't intend to get wasted but the boat even if it is long might be safer.

I would like a little advice on whether we should drive to the parks and DTD or use the buses and such. We're staying at Port Orleans French Quarter if that helps and we will be down with our own car. We will be going in October 22 to 27. I want to Say we will be early risers at 7am for parks opening at 9am but my fiance might put up a fight over that one.

I've read good and Bad about the Buses that transport you around the parks.
I'm just not sure if it would be better to drive or relax since this is our honeymoon and let Disney do the driving. We do intend to drink when we eat Dinner, specially at Epcot and Downtown Disney ( Since we're at POFQ we will probably use the boats). We won't be getting Drunk mind you.

Again Thanks for any help or Tips.

Haven't read the posts, but sure they are very mixed.

We use Disney transportation 100% - seldom have issues big enough to bother us no matter where we are going. We like the *freedom* of relaxing and leaving the driving to Disney. No worries, no stress, no schedules for us - we are on vacation, and truly immersed in all things Disney. We actually *enjoy* the transportation as part of the experience. :thumbsup2

But, the *bottom* line is what each and everyone *wants* to do. No one can tell another what they feel works best for them. We all have our reasons/opinions why one vs. the other works better for us. That's what matters most - have a great trip. pixiedust:

This August will be our first trip to the world with a car. In all of my past trips, I've had decent experience with Disney transportation. My plan is to use Disney transportation to go from our resort to each park. The only planned exception to that is for our evening return to HS for F! I figure The busses will be mobbed at that point and we'll have sleepy kids. For travel to other resorts and DTD for four ADRs, I plan on driving. I can't see wasting all of that time to make a transfer.

I think the best thing is to have the option to drive if you want to. We prefer to drive over taking the bus ANY DAY. We love monorails and ferries, but forget the bus. The only plus about the buses is that they drop you off close to the park entrance, so no need to take trams.

Driving seems like the quickest way to get to the parks since you don't have to wait for transportation and you don't have to make any other stops. Plus, you can decide to leave something in the car if you wish, or go back to retrieve it from the parks (like jackets or change of clothes.)

Drive everywhere including the MK. It's not as big a deal getting from the parking lot to the park that everyone makes it out to be. Especially if you plan on getting there early...you will be in a lot that is close enough to walk to the monorail/ferry if you want to. Then, it's a pleasant ferry ride (my preference) away. Driving your car is fun, convenient, pleasant, and much much faster. The only place I might use Disney transportation for you would be to DTD since you can take the boat from your resort which we have done. It's a very nice ride.

Congrats Zombie on your pending nuptials. :thumbsup2 My DW and I honeymooned there in 1988 and we will be there for our 25th anniversary this coming May. My son just honeymooned there a few months ago.

Being able to get around without driving is one of the main reasons I choose WDW as a destination.

We just got back and this was a huge concern of our if we should take the bus or drive. We drove to DTD and it was a hassle to find a place to park. Took the bus to all the parks, were the for RD, and never had to wait more then 5 minutes for a bus. We stayed at ASMo and only twice we shared a bus w/ the other AS resorts, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

100% always use disney transportation. part of vacation for me is taking time off from behind the wheel.

The extra 10-30 mins one may save by driving them selves means nothing to me.

We use both. I like to take a bus to MK, because you don't have to go through TTC like you do if you are driving - the bus drops you off outside the gates. I like to take the bus to Epcot at night if I know that we are both going to be drinking. Most of the rest of the time, we drive. We are staying at POR this next trip and I plan on utilizing that boat to DTD.

Personally, I stretch myself to the limits of endurance in the parks and would rather not to have to think about driving back to the room, so I take the bus. But I stretch myself because I don't get to go all that often.

I found the bus connections to DTD rather annoying in my '09 trip. Long waits and extra stops. I'd rather drive to/from DTD next time. Other than that one location, I'd like to let someone else do the driving for me.

I'm guessing that you'd want a more relaxed pace for you. If that's the case, it's probably just a personal preference. Would you rather take control behind the wheel or let someone else take the responsibility?

I guess you gotta ask yourself also if you care to drive or not. A lot of people don't want to drive a measly 5-10 minutes and rather spend 20-40 minutes waiting and riding on a bus. As someone who drives from NJ to FL, the short drive to and from the resort/park is nothing. It actually causes much more anxiety/stress to wait and ride a crowded bus... especially as I've had to do sometimes carrying my sleeping child while standing and holding onto a pole on a moving bus. People farting and stinking up the bus, coughing and sneezing all over each other... then again you can meet some really nice folks in there, even while a foul odor going around. Disney farts... yuck! LOL

We drive everywhere. It doesn't bother me. I just drove 16 hours to get to Orlando and I'm just not much of a bus person :lmao: I'd just rather get in the car and go when I'm ready to instead of waiting for a bus and taking the extra time.

DisneyZombie said:
Could Ya'll tell me how long it generally takes to get from your hotel to the parks while driving? I also plan to stay till closing for most parks, so we will be lagging behind while everyone else fights for the rush of getting out the parks.

About 10 minutes total! Always a shorter trip than the bus.

Its no contest for me, Disney Transportation all the way! I have had a car on two trips, and didn't use it once. Last time, we flew, so we didn't have a car, and I never wished for one.

Yes, you wait for the bus, sometimes for a little while, although at least half the time on this last trip we waited 5 minutes or less (POR). But there is no finding a spot, no worrying about taking the wrong turn, no car keys to carry, and I can relax in air conditioned comfort on the bus after a long, tiring day. The longest waits we had were for MK, which many people bus it to anyway. I don't like driving to begin with, and now I am a single mom, so no navigator. Its just so much more relaxing to take the bus.

We like to drive to and from Florida rather than flying, but generally we leave the car sit until its near time to go home when on Disney property.

These are the exceptions:

1. We don't leave property much but we make a single grocery run at the start of the trip, we did fly last time and accomplished this with a cab pretty reasonably.
2. There is no hotel to hotel bus transportation, so if we were at our resort and had an ADR at another resort we would drive rather than try to get a connecting bus transfer.
3. If we had a pre-opening ADR or even earlier fishing reservation we would drive to those to avoid the stress of worrying if we'd find an early enough bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter