Driving 6000 Miles for the Magic: A Miracle Trip

OUCH! My feet are hurting for you! And who comes to the rescue but INCREDIBLE DAD! Superman ain't got nothin' on him!!!
I really want to try Soarin' and since you wrote this NOW I really want to ride it!!! You write so realistic, I feel like I'm there watching all this happen. Can't wait till next week!

So sorry about your foot. :sad1: hope it gets better, and no xrays.

oh and one more thing....a Cliffhanger....no fair.:rolleyes:

guess i will wait patiently..:surfweb: :coffee: :laundy: :rolleyes1 popcorn:: :hourglass KIM

Christamae -
Epcot sounds and looks like soo much fun! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope your foot is alright. . . it sounds soo painful. Have a GREAT day. I can't wait to read your next post about your trip!!:flower3:
Erica:stitch:

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: My foot hurt just reading your report! My DH has lost a toenail and it grew back (with fungus - yucky!!) but her cringes anytime anything gets near it and that happened over 10 years ago!

I have never been on Soarin' - it is new since my last visit. I am skeptical - is it like a simulated ride? I just cant handle those kind of rides. (like Star Tours) Glad you had the experience.

I'll be back on Saturday!
Cathy

I have never been on Soarin' - it is new since my last visit. I am skeptical - is it like a simulated ride? I just cant handle those kind of rides. (like Star Tours) Glad you had the experience.

I'll be back on Saturday!
Cathy

Hi Cathy! I don't do well on the "simulated" rides, either, but I LOVED Soarin'! Give it a shot!

Christamae - I have been "lurking" since the beginning. Simply in awe of your family. I will (try to) Never complain about getting my "troups" out the door again.

Waiting patiently (or not) for the next installment. popcorn::
Barb
P.S. Hope the foot's OK.

How fantastic that you could ride Soarin it is superb isn't it :goodvibes OMGoodness your poor toe I'm cringing for you, that sounds incredibly painful, hope it got better really quickly!

Christamae,
So sorry to hear about your poor foot! I hope everything worked out okay....and I'm really glad you got to ride Soarin' and see so many of the Epcot shows. Aren't those acrobats great? I think I held my breath the whole time we were watching them. :goodvibes

Wonderful report! :flower3:

I must say thank you to everyone who is posting. It is a privilege to read all your kind remarks.

Backstage Gal: Soarin' is my favorite Disney ride ever!

Goofyluver: Yep-the best! I love flying!

Tanya90210: It was pretty painful. I had that time freeze moment with the thought-this is really going to hurt.

MissMichelle: Thanks! We have seen the acrobats on all our trips. They are always good.

DonaldTDuck: So you have ornery toenails, too? ;)

jlcd: Thank you!

KathyRN137: Thanks! I think this series only has 8 or 9 more installments & only 2 more Disney days.

eyeheartgoofy: Yea, a cliffhanger-I know, I am horrible :rolleyes1

wendygrace: I'm glad that I got to ride, too! A great experience. I got excited just listening to the music a couple days ago.

Echo queen: Sorry you missed Epcot-hope you get to see it on another trip.

LeeLee2U: Thanks! Soarin' is a must see.

burly (kim): Thank you...yea a cliffhanger...thanks for your patience :)

lovedcookie: Thanks. Epcot has lotsa fun stuff.

crgfsu1: Another toenail commisserator-Soarin' is very gentle and smooth. That's the only reason I can do it. Give it a go :)

momoftriplets: Thanks for delurking and your kind comments.

DisneyJo: I was very happy to ride Soarin'-a highlight of the trip.

zigzagzerr: Thank you...the acrobats are a great show-especially considering their age.

Thanks for all the foot/toe well wishes.

And for all whose trippies I haven't signed lately, I'll try to catch up on your adventures this coming week.

Without further ado

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I woke up quite sore. Besides the toenail I am pretty sure that I strained a ligament on the top of my foot and sprained my ankle. I was very thankful for the Dilaudid. Ya know for a disabled person, I’ve had an awful lot of injuries. Stitches 7 different times from my walking days when I fell a lot, 4 concussions (1 from falling, 2 from tipping my chair, 1 from falling out of my chair), and I tore the ligament behind my right knee twice (1 was a lifting oops, the other I fell out of my chair) and left knee once (lifting accident) and countless sprained ankles. Anyway I decided not to go to get an x-ray. I had pain meds and besides-I was at Disney!

Besides all the regular care and getting ready, I also had to clean my toenail. We were just about ready to go when we had a crisis. A critical piece of tubing on my portable suction machine broke. :eek: I have to have that machine to leave. The cruelly ironic thing is that it was the one piece of equipment that we didn’t pack.

Mom and Dad had a heated argument. Especially when Dad cut the tubing. I was praying mightily. With more snips of tubing (Danny, what are you doing! Fixing the machine!! How? Talk to me!) Dad was able to connect the broken tube to pieces of the longer that connects to the suction catheter. I breathed a sigh of relief.

We started off to Magic Kingdom-later than intended. Outside the entrance, we stopped to ask about a dump for the RV. It was full and emitting a not so nice stench. I chatted with a CM in an electric wheelchair. She used an antenna topper for her joystick/toggle on her chair. Getting the information took awhile because the CM had to call around.

Between the sore foot, fighting, and all the delays, I was feeling a bit frustrated and grumpy.

Finally, we entered Magic Kingdom.

I picked up an ace bandage from first aid to help stabilize my ankle and after the bathroom break headed to Frontierland for Country Bear Jamboree. I think I last saw it when I was 9. It was, um, not my favorite. A bit corny and hokey. Dad liked it.

100_0646.jpg

100_0653.jpg

100_0659.jpg

100_0660.jpg

100_0668.jpg

100_0672.jpg

Then we headed to Pecos Bills café. Even though it was 2:00, it was very crowded and noisy. The seating wasn’t especially wheelchair friendly. We all crammed around an end table. Now right outside the afternoon parade was going by. There weren’t very many people standing. I suggested that we go outside (it was really loud and I was getting a headache). Nope. I couldn’t go out alone. So I missed a parade that was mere feet away, I wouldn’t have had to wait for, and was by an air-conditioned building. Instead I had to spend the next 45 minutes watching people eat. :headache: Whoopee.

Dad didn’t appreciate my glum look and got upset. The morning was not going well.

After eating, it was off to Adventureland for Jungle Cruise. I hadn’t ridden this since I was 7. I was excited to try the wheelchair accessible boat. This is one of the few attractions that has a separate wheelchair line. They had to start up Big Bertha so instead of the posted 20 minute wait, ours was 45. Danielle and Grandma went first and came off smiling.

Then it was Mom, me, and Dad. Mom had some trepidation because the step was so big that she wasn’t sure she could get out. But she took the plunge. The wheelchair loading is very well done. You pull straight on, the platform is twisted forward and lowered, and then to get off the platform is raised and turned and you drive straight off. Low bars ensure you don’t drive off and give extra security during the ride.

100_0697.jpg

Our guide was quirky and into her part.

100_0686.jpg

I enjoyed the whole ride and appreciate all the work to get an accessible boat…Some of the turns unnerved me because the boat tipped slightly. I kept remembering how imagineers had trouble with the wheelchair boats sinking…But I returned safely from my voyage avoiding wild animal attacks, cannibals, and seeing such wonders as the backside of water. We docked and I got off safely. Mom, however, was in trouble. She couldn’t step up. Even with Dad’s help, she wasn’t making it. :scared1: And there is some strange rule that only wheelchairs are allowed on the lift. We were seriously getting worried. Mom was flustered and embarrassed-we were holding up the line. The guide was trying to keep it light hearted but looked concerned. Dad tried one more time-Mom’s arms around his neck; he put his hands under her tush, and with a great heave-she was free! If you have any doubts about your ability to step out of the boat (about 10 inches) stay in your wheelchair.

Next we swung by Aladdin’s flying carpets. We were kindly informed that only manual chairs were allowed on the ride. The way they secure the chair is a raised area between the front and back wheels and battery boxes get in the way. Okay.

Much to Dad’s chagrin, another bathroom break was needed. This was a bathroom filled day. We were late to the Pirate show and it was hard to see. I wish Disney would set up a roped off area for wheelchairs for the street shows. The show itself was good. Jack Sparrow was great.

100_0705.jpg

100_0709.jpg

One of the little kids being trained aimed low with her sword to which Jack made a funny comment. At another point, they were split into teams. One kid wanted to be on Jack’s side and snuck over.

“A mutiny!”

And then Jack ran away.

I am pretty sure at this point that we had a Dole Whip. I hyped this one up and the family tried it. Unfortunately Dad didn’t order the floats but just the whip. They weren’t especially impressed. I was able to eat some of the tangy goodness. Yum. A unique refreshing treat.

Me pin trading (I didn't actually trade with them):

100_0712.jpg

Danielle wanted to see Cinderellabration. We headed there 30 minutes before show time to ensure that no one would stand in front of us. Mom took pictures of the castle while we waited.

100_0713.jpg

100_0714.jpg

100_0716.jpg

100_0717.jpg

About 5 minutes before the start of the show, this family squeezes their two daughters in front of me and Mom, ummm. Mom politely points me out and asks them to scoot back over. They grudgingly do so but one girl still stands partially in front of Mom and the thing she waves hits Mom in the face repeatedly. Definitely not Mom’s favorite experience. Again I wish Disney would set up a roped off area for wheelchairs for the street shows. The story is that this is Cinderella’s coronation and a celebration.

100_0729.jpg

100_0731.jpg

100_0733.jpg

100_0734.jpg

100_0740.jpg

After a bathroom break, we decided to do a tried and true ride to try to turn this day around. Winnie the Pooh. I specifically asked for the bounce button so I experienced more effects. The ride vehicle sloshed back and forth when Piglet was in the rain scene, blew around when Owl’s house was falling, and bounced along with Tigger. Danielle was having a bad bladder day and needed the bathroom again.

As soon as she got back, we headed to Philharmagic. It was just as wonderful the second time around. It really is a must see.

It was raining when we got out. As we donned the rain gear, we discovered that our guide book was missing. :guilty: The one with the locations of all the rides/attractions, their length, how many wheelchair spots, the location of all air conditioned counter service restaurants, the location of all Companion bathrooms, the busyness factor of normal bathrooms and number of wheelchair stalls, and the one with Indiana Jones, Cinderella, Belle and Beasts autograph. Gone. We figured that it was probably left in the bathroom. Dad went to check and asked a lady to look for him. Nope. :sad2:

There was an argument on whether to continue look for the book. Dad was a bit grumpy. I thought that we were going to stay for Wishes because this was a planned late night. But Mom was tired and wanted to go home. After more exchanging of words in an unDisney fashion, Dad stormed off to Lost and Found to ask about the guide book. No luck. I am sure that it was a great find…

As we were leaving, Wishes started. This made Mom feel even worse. Dad was just irritated. We dismally headed to the car-a very long trek to RV parking. On the way we passed a confused looking woman and asked if she needed help. She had gotten separated from her party. She was from Scotland. She borrowed our cell phone to try to get in touch with the other member of her party. No such luck. We suggested she return to the park…

The drive back to the house was tense.

I am afraid that this was not a very good day. We were one of those families that you look at and shake your head. There was some good stuff but all the stress and attitude definitely detracted…

Next installment on Saturday, August 4, Doin' the Park hop

Doin' the Park Hop w/pics- Page 29, Post #430

Oh, Christamae, so sorrry you had a crappy day :hug:

Hope your next ones are better. You should always have magic, you are an amazing young lady!

Welcome back Christamae!! Sorry the game ended on the other board just as you were able to join back in. Didn't that happen last time too? Hope alls well. Tokyodisneymom has surgery tomorrow so keep her in your thoughts.
Wally

I don't remember the castle looking so beautiful, thanks for the photos.:flower3: :wizard: heres to better days.:wizard:

Sorry for all the bumps in the road on this day. But still, a bad day in Disney versus any day in the real world? Hmm, think I'll take any magic I can get. :goodvibes Hope the next day was filled to brimming with it! :hug:

Christamae -
Sorry you had a tough day. I hope the next installment is filled with smiles and magic.
:tink:Erica

Your pictures of the Cindarellabration show are so beautiful! That's one show we missed. :confused3 I had forgotten how beautiful the Castle was with all the gold embellishments!

That guidebook must have been a terrible loss; hopefully some of the info stuck in your head!

We moms and dads can be a real pain sometimes, especially when we get into arguments. :rolleyes: Arguments are like pebbles thrown into the lake; the rings spread pretty far.

I'm hoping you had a better day after a good night's sleep. :goodvibes

Kathy

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

headed to Frontierland for Country Bear Jamboree. .... A bit corny and hokey. Dad liked it.

Dad's are like that, aren't they? :goodvibes

Sorry you had a rough day. Hope you all feel better after a good night's sleep. I know it usually helps at our house. ::yes::
Barb

Sounds like a rough day - here's hoping the next day was better. Hey - at least Pooh didnt let you down :)

Cathy

Christamae...don't you know yucky days aren't allowed at Disney??? :rotfl:

Hope your next day was better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter