DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Trip report link!

I can't believe how fast the DL trip has come up. The plans sound wonderful.

In case I don't get back here, to you and Tom I wish you a

I can't believe how fast it was over! ;)

Happy New Year to you too!

I am loving the pics and stories from DLRP! Surprised the dinner options aren't very good. :confused3

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year! party:

I am glad you enjoy the pics as there are LOADS more to come.
Yip, park food is not high on our list when we are at DLRP. I just don't care for overpriced burgers with fois gras on them.
But we have found a cute little patisserie/boulangerie, which has heavenly baguette and pastries, so we just indulge in those. ;)

Happy New Year to you too! :goodvibes

And happy new year to you and Tom as well Karin
Enjoy Paris!

Happy New Year, Linda!
We had a really good time in Paris. Can't wait to get back in August. :thumbsup2

HAPPY NEW YEAR, KARIN and TOM!!! :love:

Happy New Year, Christine and family! :goodvibes

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all about this trip!

Jill in CO

Happy New Year Karin & Tom !!! Loved the DLP pix !!! To bad the dining options aren't better !!!

Happy New Year, Rosie and family!
I am glad you enjoyed the pics, there are lots more to come. ;) You would think that dining would be awesome in a park in France, but most CS are like McD and the TS places are overpriced (and they lack service ;)).

Happy NY Karin!

You plans look wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful NY's day and a fabulous trip this weekend. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Happy New Year, Mary Ellen!
I just never got around to post the rest of my plans, but then we didn't really stick to them anyway. :rotfl2:
I hope to have the start of the TR up this weekend. :goodvibes

Almost time for Paris, Karin!:cheer2: Safe travels, and Happy New Year!:hug:

Happy New Year, Jeanette and family!
Thanks for the well wishes. :goodvibes

Well are you there yet???:rotfl2::rotfl2:

And back already, Rosie! :rotfl2:

Plans look great. If I don;t get back before you go have a magicla trip and cannot wait to hear about it.

On another note have you ever flown Easyjet?

Unfortunately we didn't quite stick to the plans we had made, but we had a lot of fun anyway.
We did take quite a lot of photos though. ;)

And to answer your question - no, we have never flown Easyjet. Tom and I like to fly out of our home city, which leaves us with either Austrian or Lufthansa.
Many of the low cost carriers like Easyjet will charge you for EVERYTHING, seat assignment, luggage, snacks and they usually don't use the main airports. I added it all up once and Lufthansa came out to be the winner, even if the actual fare was more than the low cost carriers (considering in the extra cost).

Late but here!

Subbing and will be back to read :)

:woohoo: Happy to have you!

Karin, it is almost time for you and Tom to head out to DLRP. I hope you have a great trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

Thank you! We did have a wonderful time. Everything worked out fine and even the weather cooperated.
Trip report starting soon. :goodvibes

Happy New Year Karin and Tom!

Your plans sound amazing and I know you have already left, so I hope you are having a FANTASTIC time! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return :goodvibes:goodvibes

Happy New Year to you too, Lesha and family! :goodvibes

We had such a nice time at DLRP. And I will add a TR for it here as well. :goodvibes

just catching up Karin, I hope you and Tom had a wonderful trip and am looking forward to reading all about it!

Welcome back! When do you have to report back to school and Tom to work? We were supposed to be back Monday, Jan 6th but ended up with three snow days. :cool1: Now it is catch-up time for all, students and profs alike.

Welcome back (already?!) Your teaser pictures of the food look AMAZING! Especially that photo of the baguette - DROOL!

Have fun!!!!

Thanks Jen! We did! :thumbsup2

All your plans look wonderful. Have a great time in DLRP.

Thanks Elaine! As I mentioned before, plans changed, but we managed to fit in a lot anyway.
It was a fun filled weekend and a great start into the new year. ;)

Tom and Karin have fun at DLRP!

Thanks Teresa, it was really a nice weekend! :goodvibes

Hope you are having fun

We did have a lot of fun. It was really a fun start into 2014. :thumbsup2

I saw your post over on the "how many days" thread and wondered when we'd see you back here. Thanks for the teaser pictures! I can hardly wait to hear all about the trip.

So my posts gave me away. ;) I do them every day in the morning before I go to work, but never got around to post some more.
Now it's about time to start the trip report. :goodvibes

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all about this trip!

Jill in CO

Thank you, Jill!
The trip report is starting soon - this weekend, I promise! :thumbsup2

just catching up Karin, I hope you and Tom had a wonderful trip and am looking forward to reading all about it!

Welcome back, Cynthia!
We had a really nice time at DLRP, a few ups and downs, but it was fun none the less. ;)

Welcome back! When do you have to report back to school and Tom to work? We were supposed to be back Monday, Jan 6th but ended up with three snow days. :cool1: Now it is catch-up time for all, students and profs alike.

Thank you!
Tom and I went back to work on Tuesday. Got home at 11pm on Monday and Tom was at work again by 5am. I was much luckier as I only had two lessons in the afternoon which let me sleep in a little. :goodvibes
I watched the extreme cold in the US on TV, and today they showed pictures of Niagara Falls being frozen. :scared1: It was beautiful to watch - I just would not like to have to face the cold. ;)

Welcome back (already?!) Your teaser pictures of the food look AMAZING! Especially that photo of the baguette - DROOL!

Yes, we are back again already. It was just a weekend trip. We left on Friday and returned on Monday at 11pm.
That baguette is just so good! It comes from a small patisserie/boulangerie in the countryside. It is one of those shops that are TINY and you have to queue up outside the shop, because it is so popular. And not only their baguette is to die for, their eclairs are out of this world. :cloud9:

Welcome back, Karin & Tom! Glad to hear you had a good trip even though it didn't turn out exactly as you planned. I often find that some of my very best times come due to changes in my carefully made plans. Hopefully that was the case for you as well.

Thank you for sharing the teaser pictures. I enjoyed all of them, but the one I liked the most was the baguette! That one really has my mouth watering right now! I can't wait to read the rest of your report.

Nancy

Hi Karin...Happy New Year! Pictures are awesome, glad you had a great time even though your plans changed.

Welcome back, Karin & Tom! Glad to hear you had a good trip even though it didn't turn out exactly as you planned. I often find that some of my very best times come due to changes in my carefully made plans. Hopefully that was the case for you as well.

Thank you for sharing the teaser pictures. I enjoyed all of them, but the one I liked the most was the baguette! That one really has my mouth watering right now! I can't wait to read the rest of your report.

Nancy

Thank you! :goodvibes
We really enjoyed our little weekend getaway! :goodvibes
It is funny, but I do a lot of planning and then something happens and we have to throw all our plans overboard. This time was no exception, but we got everything accomplished that we wanted to do.
And it is not that we do not return in good time. ;) We will be back to DLRP in a little over 200 days after our Med cruise. :thumbsup2

I knew, that the baguette photo would get some of you! :rotfl2: I must admit it was even better than it looks in the photo. ;)

:hug: Welcome home Karin! LOVE the pics so far :thumbsup2

Thank you, Jeannette!
There are A LOT more photos to come! It was a great little trip. :goodvibes

Welcome back Karin! Hope you guys had a great time!

Thank you, Mary Ellen!
We actually did have a really great time. Lots of fun and food. ;)

Hi Karin...Happy New Year! Pictures are awesome, glad you had a great time even though your plans changed.

Hi Elaine!
Happy New Year to all of you too! :hug:
Lots more pics to come, we had a fun long weekend at DLRP! :goodvibes

Let's get this TR started ........

Day 1, January 3
Not as planned, but a nice surprise!- Part 1

Our travel day had arrived! And after having some breakfast I got my things ready, put a few more things I had not previously taken to Tom’s into a bag and finally locked the door and headed for the car.
I arrived at Tom’s at around 10am and we got out the rest of the things he wanted to bring and I finished packing. At around 11am we had everything ready so far and thought about lunch. We had wanted to make some pasta, but there were still leftovers from New Year’s and it would have been a shame to throw them out. So we opened a tin of baked beans, made some scrambled eggs and had kind of a brunch with the leftovers.
It was a nice and easy but tasty lunch and we finished off most everything that we would have had to throw out after our return. And soon it was time to say goodbye to Pixie and lock the doors behind us.
I was a bit worried about traffic as the route to the airport leads past some shopping centers and traffic can be stop and go, but we were lucky and it was easy sailing all the way to the airport. As planned, we were able to leave the car in a 10 minute parking zone, grabbed our suitcases and headed inside the airport to drop off our luggage. There was quite a line at check in for economy class, but if you just drop off luggage and are already checked in you can use business class and first class lines, so getting rid of the luggage was a breeze.
So within minutes we were back in the car and driving to the parking lot. To our huge surprise it was very empty and we easily found a spot close to the main entrance road and close to the gates. We got our carry-ons and walked back to the airport. Given that our airport is fairly small, going through security was VERY easy and we quickly found ourselves walking through the duty free shop and then grabbing a seat in the waiting area for our flight.

20 minutes before take-off they started boarding,

we found our seats

and settled in and soon it was time for the plane to taxi to the runway.

We took off and as soon as the fasten seatbelt signs were off they started their in-flight service. They handed out

two PickUp cookie bars for each passenger, shortbread cookies sandwiched together with milk chocolate, to each passenger and then followed up with free drinks. Tom had Coke, while I stuck with water. We were both still full from lunch, so the cookie bars went into my handbag to be enjoyed later.

The flight only takes 55 minutes and before we knew it the fasten seatbelt signs came on again and we were descending into Frankfurt airport.

We were in no kind of rush as we had a two hour layover anyway, so once we had reached our parking position we gathered all our belongings and went to the waiting bus. It took around 10 minutes to get to the terminal, we checked if our departure gate had changed and it had not, so we went to find where it actually was and it was just down the hall. Winner.
Frankfurt airport is HUGE and if you have to get from one end to another it can take forever, but this time we were in luck. Since we had some time to kill we strolled through the shops, then logged into the free 30 minute internet they offer at the airport and finally, after a restroom break headed to our departure gate. There were only a few minutes left before boarding so we didn’t bother to sit down, but stood right there by the gates. A few minutes later boarding started and we just let ourselves in, using the automated gates. Assigned seats found we settled in and soon it was time to push back and taxi to the runway again.

This is another short 1 hour flight and once we were on our way the flight attendants started handing out very tasty

Chicken and Feta Sandwiches and serving drinks. We were munching our early dinner and soon learned that the pilots were already descending into Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport.
Landing was right on time and we taxied to one of the Satellites where we disembarked and walked towards baggage claim. This is where we separated. Tom had gotten me a trolley to put our luggage on once it was delivered before he headed to the Hertz rental car pick up.

Day 1, January 3
Not as planned, but a nice surprise!- Part 2

Tom had gotten me a trolley to put our luggage on once it was delivered before he headed to the Hertz rental car pick up. Now that rental car reservation has a fun little history as well.
Right after we had purchased our plane tickets we had booked our rental through the company we always use, AutoEurope. Around mid November Tom called me to let me know that he had had a call from someone from AutoEurope telling him that we would not be able to pick up the car at the time we had requested as the station would be closed. Now, we wanted to pick up the car at 7.15pm at Paris’ most busy airport! I laughed it off and checked online if there were any closures at the airport, then called Hertz Austria, who got in touch with Hertz France, and they assured me that they would be open 24/7. So, when the guy called back to tell me about the closure I told him that I had made some phone calls myself and no one at Hertz knew about the changes. Still the AutoEurope guy insisted that HE was right and I was wrong and that he would cancel our reservation anyway. So I told him to go ahead and I would make other arrangements. 5 minutes later we had booked the same car for about the same (just a tiny bit more) price with Hertz directly. In the evening of the same day I searched around the internet and came across another company that offered FULL insurance packages AND gave a nice discount for first time users of their site. So, in the end we cancelled the booking we had made with Hertz, and went with the new company. We paid less than 100 Euros for 3 days of use of the car including ALL insurances. Needless to say I was right about the opening times of the Hertz booth at the airport – 24/7.
So, while I was waiting for the luggage Tom was heading to pick up the car. They have added a fun new feature at CDG airport, they have overhead screens where you can see the suitcases that are loaded onto the arrival belt.
So once I had seen our suitcases coming up the belt it was easy to just pick them up, load them on the trolley and head towards the exit. Tom was already waiting, paperwork in hand. He had been told that the car had 5 larger scratches and a few smaller ones, which again rang some bells. Maybe some of you remember the “scam” they tried to pull off some time ago with a scratched car that when we returned it to the airport it had a huge dent as well. We went to take photos of all the scratches

when I saw another larger scraping.

Since we could not find an attendant close to where the cars were parked we headed back down to the rental booth and had all the damages marked on our rental contract. So with about a 10 minute delay we finally got into the car, fixed the GPS on the windscreen and made our way out of the airport.
The GPS did not show any delays on the motorway, so we made it to Val d’Europe in good time. We stopped at the Auchan, a huge grocery store, to pick up some drinks and a bit of baguette, some cheese and some pastries, so we would have something to nibble on in case Earl of Sandwich was already closed.
The stop was short and sweet and since we had a half empty bag, that is where we put everything. Into the car we got again and off we went to the Hotel New York. We showed our reservation at the security check-point and were allowed in.
And our luck didn’t run out as we found some empty parking spaces right close to the main entrance of the hotel. So we got all our luggage and headed towards the Front Desk. We were second in line and were soon asked to step up to the Front Desk. I was a bit irritated as while he checked us in the cast member continued to laugh and joke with another cast member in French. He put ONE room key on the counter and started to write down the room number when I asked if this indeed was a room with two beds.
In those hotels you can book either a room with one double bed and a daybed, or a room with two beds. I had clearly booked a room with two beds. He looked, then mentioned it was a room with one bed. No good, we need two beds. He went to a room in the back for quite some time then came out and told us that he had found another room with one bed and a pull-out bed. And it was on the same floor. He wrote down the room number and I was waiting for him to get me a key to the other room but he did nothing. So I asked about the key and he said that this one would be okay at the new room too.
Okay my friend, I might be female, but I am not stupid, you did nothing, you just gave us the same room again. So I went on to tell him that I was not happy with a day-bed, which he told me again was a pull out but I disagreed and that I had booked a room with two beds and I was not happy that one of us had to sleep on a pull-out.
I mean that hotel is not cheap. I paid over 1100 Euros for three nights and that included a 35% discount. So, the cast member went back to the back room again and stayed there for quite some time, before coming back to tell us that they did not have any more rooms with two beds, but they would move us to another room the next day.
Okay, I can live with that, even though it is pretty inconvenient if you only stay for three nights. Finally, key in hand we headed towards the 5th (US 6th) floor and were looking for our room. Once we opened the door we knew why the cast member had made such a fuzz about us needing to stay in that room for the night.

They had put a welcome gift into the room.

Still would have been nice if they had read the reservation more carefully. Once inside the room we went to inspect everything,

then started to look at the gift. Since this had been our second visit, we were welcomed back with a nice letter, a bottle of Vittel water and two glasses and a fun Mickey mug with an attached spoon and some candy

and a rose in the bathroom. The bed had been turned down and there were even chocolate coins with Disney characters on it.

The view out the window was nice

even though the windows were divided and small. And while we were still looking around, there was a knock at the door and a cast member came to pull out and put up the daybed. He asked if he should put out the pillows as well, as they were in a drawer, but we told him that we could do that ourselves.
So he left after we had tipped him and we opened a drawer in search for a pillow. No pillow in drawer one. Well, none of the drawers had pillows inside but there were so many on the regular bed that we did not mind at all. By then we were already a bit on the tired side and we still wanted to get some dinner from Earl of Sandwich, so we just left everything in the room, I grabbed my purse and off we went to the Disney Village.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter