Don't worry, the INTERNET is here!

Domo

Wotcha
Can you remember a time before the internet? How did we get things done?!

1146104092972.jpg

I don't know anymore. I've volunteered in my kids' classes and have used all sorts of online tools to plan events, collect funds, etc. I think of my mom who did all the same stuff but with only a PHONE and PAPER!! :scared1: :rotfl:

In the old days, when I had a question, I could either go to the library and try to look it up there, or I could just accept that I'd never know the answer. Sometimes I'd intend to go to the library, but I'd forget the question by the time I got there. Sometimes I'd even forget the question before I found paper and pen to write it down.

I can't count the number of times my friends and I bickered over some bit of trivia, only to eventually end up shrugging and saying, "Oh well, who knows?" It cultivated a kind of acceptance of ignorance. Resignation.

And my mum won every factual dispute because she was older, and had a PHD.

These days, my mum complains about the way we constantly fact check. Personally, I think she just doesn't like how often she gets proven wrong. Age and degrees don't count for as much as they used to, especially when you're holding forth on something that's not actually in your field of expertise. ;)

Me, I feel like we're living in a Golden Age, and I'm loving it! I love that it's so easy to reach out for help, or support, or information, or debate. I love that I can keep in regular contact with friends in other countries (in the "old days" I was never a letter writer). Even the small things, like being able to text with a friend in transit to coordinate a meeting, feels like a miracle.

And the games are a heck of a lot of fun!

I agree that we did get alot more done. But one thing that I am grateful for everyday--the GPS apps on my phone. What a pain it was to write down directions beforehand, and try to read them while you drove. Not to mention, dangerous! I also like how they help you avoid traffic.

I get more done with the internet. No more getting into the car and driving into town to wait in line at the post office to pay bills for example.

I think the best thing about the internet is the ability to communicate with people all over the world and from all walks of life.

I know we paid a lot more to repair people before the internet. Now DH looks up youtube videos and does stuff himself.

I feel ancient. I had to explain to my boys what the internet used to be like. I told them about the extremely high telephone bills, only 20 mins a day, and no videos. They were in shock. :lmao:

I use to actually watch commercials and have to wait until the show was on next week to watch it. Now with streaming through the Internet, DD has no concept of waiting for the next episode. We keep trying to explain it to her, but all she understands is binge watching on Netflix. Oh and don't even mention YouTube and the mine raft videos! Watching other people play video games instead of playing your own game. I still prefer a good old board game.

According to my 86 year old grandmother that time is still now. I spent 3 hours with her at the DMV today, she gets all she needs to know about everything from CNN, the "other people" get it from Fox News...:rotfl2:no internet needed!!

I use to actually watch commercials and have to wait until the show was on next week to watch it. Now with streaming through the Internet, DD has no concept of waiting for the next episode. We keep trying to explain it to her, but all she understands is binge watching on Netflix. Oh and don't even mention YouTube and the mine raft videos! Watching other people play video games instead of playing your own game. I still prefer a good old board game.
My boys LOVE video game walk thru. They will watch hours of them if I let them. They still like to play video games, and thankfully board games.

I do remember it, and sometimes amuse DS with stories of libraries and microfiche. :laughing: I specifically remember taking notes on index cards for term papers, and rearranging them all over the floor!

I fondly remember real letter-writing as well. There was definitely something satisfying about it!

But I love the convenience of e-mail and texting, too! I actually think I don't take advantage of some aspects of internet communication as much as I should, though. Maybe I didn't get used to things like FaceTime soon enough, because I use it in some situations, but forget it's an option in others.

I do remember it, and sometimes amuse DS with stories of libraries and microfiche. :laughing: I specifically remember taking notes on index cards for term papers, and rearranging them all over the floor!

I fondly remember real letter-writing as well. There was definitely something satisfying about it!

But I love the convenience of e-mail and texting, too! I actually think I don't take advantage of some aspects of internet communication as much as I should, though. Maybe I didn't get used to things like FaceTime soon enough, because I use it in some situations, but forget it's an option in others.
writing using actual cursive no less! (as I type to a chat board, lol :o)

At one point in grammar school I had a pen pal in Australia, South Africa and England. I kept in touch with the one in South Africa up until middle school actually! I miss writing letters!!
Me too! I had a friend from summer camp in high school. We lived about 2 hours away, so it was easier to write letters, then meet up the following year. I think we kept in touch until our senior year in high school. I still have a birthday card she sent me.

When I went to law school in the mid 80s computerized legal research was just starting to become a thing. So we had to learn the old-school way of doing research and also learned how to use Westlaw and Lexis. But there were very few computers back then where I was going to school, so the vast majority of our research was still going through the old dusty books. Even though what we have now is much more efficient, to tell you the truth, I kind of miss it. The smell of the books, the hunt to find the right book with the right case--it was fun.

It was a lot tougher having a long-distance relationship back then, too. My fiancee (now DW) did her student teaching in South America. We could communicate by letter or by international long-distance land-line calls, which were cost-prohibitive for starving students. Nowadays you've got text, email, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Skype, FaceTime, Snapchat, etc., etc.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter