Don't laugh at me, but how do you say Pommes Frites?

707 MickeyGirl is correct. The "es" is silent on frites. Thank you grade 6 french lol

This made me LOL because I had no clue either!

And while we are on this subject can someone tell me how you say "beignets" hahah

:)

Ben- yays

This is one of those words I grew up knowing so couldn't understand why others have trouble.

My favorite is a street in Houston that we needed to use frequently. Most non-Houstonians are lost on how to say it. Give it a go it is Kuykendahl.

Have you not seen Princess and the frog? (That's how I know)

Oh yeah! It's funny you mention that I watched it a couple months ago and was like "ahhh so THATS how you say it" and then immediately forgot haha

This is one of those words I grew up knowing so couldn't understand why others have trouble.

My favorite is a street in Houston that we needed to use frequently. Most non-Houstonians are lost on how to say it. Give it a go it is Kuykendahl.

My guess on that would be K-eye-ken-doll.

And speaking of Houston... Houston, TX vs Houston St in NY.

Kirk-in-doll------but I'm a cheater as I know someone with that last name...I could give you a crazy time with all the German, Czech and Polish last names of the people I know.

Kirk-in-doll------but I'm a cheater as I know someone with that last name...I could give you a crazy time with all the German, Czech and Polish last names of the people I know.

Not cheating at all. That is totally right. My fiance was pissed as was like there is no R why is there and R sound haha. I know some crazy last names to. Kind of a miracle mine is pretty normal since my mom's family is German and Czech. Even her maden name is on the easier side of the whole family.

LOL - Here in Illinois we just "Americanize" foreign names. Chicago has a Goethe St (should be pronounced like the German author it was named for- kind of like Ger-teh) and instead it is pronounced Go-thee. The city of Cairo, IL one would thing would be pronounced the same as the city in Egypt - Nope, it is Kay-ro - hard accent on the Kay. A road near me is Schmale Rd. Oldtime locals call it Shmah-Leh (german pronounciation) because they knew the original family it was named for. As the suburbs expanded and population exploded, it is now pronounced Sh-Male (like telling a male person to be quiet! LOL) I even hear this on the local traffic reports.

I've never heard a Chicagoan pronounce Pommes Frites, but I bet it would be Pahm-mehs Frights!

Pom freet. :)

Pum, like rum, not pom like pomegranate.

Pum Freet is correct.

It's actually almost a mixture of the two of these, but closer to 707MickeyGirl. (lived in Quebec for 9 years, took French in school from Junior K to Grade 12) The closest I can come to explaining it is "pawm" or "pohm".

I now live in BC and I love hearing people try and pronounce some of the street names around here. My favourites are Quesnel and Esquimalt! My GPS has a field day with that last one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter