Don't buy coupons off Ebay!!!

kellia

DIS Veteran
I feel so stupid for doing this, but I bought what was said to be a real coupon from Lowes off Ebay to use for a home project we had coming up. I've used Lowes coupons at Home Depot before, no problem. Well, got the coupon, took it to Home Depot and they said it was fake and took all of dh's info to give to the police for fraud. Said they've had a lot of these coming through recently. I feel so dumb and angry!!!

Technically it's not legal to buy coupons anyway.

When I pay someone on Ebay to cut a stack of coupons for me I always check the feedback and prefer to see the coupon themselves as usually they are ones from the Sunday papers that I have on hand myself so I can see if they look legit.

You need to follow up with Ebay on your transaction so they can stop the seller.

well number one I sure wouldn't have given my info to Home Depot, they aren't the fake coupon police (or any kind of police ;) )

and number 2 I would have just said I didn't know it was a fake, which he didn't and you bought it on Ebay. If they won't take it then they won't take it. I find it hard to believe that there would be such drama over a competitor's coupon.

Anyway, I'd file a claim against the seller and go from there.

make sure you copy down as much of the ebayers info that you can so should there be an issue concerning the police you are able to supply it to them to show that you are not making it up and that you bought them in good faith,

I feel so stupid for doing this, but I bought what was said to be a real coupon from Lowes off Ebay to use for a home project we had coming up. I've used Lowes coupons at Home Depot before, no problem. Well, got the coupon, took it to Home Depot and they said it was fake and took all of dh's info to give to the police for fraud. Said they've had a lot of these coming through recently. I feel so dumb and angry!!!

I wouldn't have given them my info. The police here are too busy for stuff like that, so any threats would be empty ones. I do kind of envy people who live in areas where there is a police presence . . .

I wouldn't have given them any information either- that's crazy!!

May or may no be helpful now, but our "Movers Kit" at the local post office has 10% off coupons in them. I got like 5 :rotfl:

I'd report the store to corporate for treating you like a criminal.

I buy Ebay coupons all the time (err pay for someone else to collect them!). Too bad people are selling fakes :(

Well, we didn't actually give them our info, but they had it after we paid using the Visa (debit) card. After they said it was fake, dh said ok and went ahead and paid. A manager was called over and said they were calling the police and giving them our info for fraud. In hind sight, you are probably right and they can't/won't do anything. How humiliating, though! Dh was NOT happy about being black balled from Home Depot, not to mention he already hated being around when I pay and use coupons! :rolleyes1 BTW, the seller did have good feedback.

we never shop at home depot. THey've always had shady customer service.

I do not mean to scare you, but counterfeit coupons are fraud. Make sure you have all of the information on the seller handy to protect yourself. Counterfeit coupons are a federal offense and the feds have had several cases lately they have prosecuted. On many counterfeit coupons they offer large rewards to turn in the counterfeitors. You can check www.cents-off.com and it will show some current counterfeit coupons and you will be able to pull up information on how serious this is.

Many retailers are going after customers now that bring them in. It is odd however that Home Depot would care that much about a Lowes counterfeit coupon.

How does the Home Depot guy know that the Lowe's coupon is a fake?

I mean, it's not like a Lowe's coupon is going to scan at the Home Depot???

I'm confused.

If you ever want a free legitimate Lowes (or any other store coupon) just ask on here. I'm an avid coupon clipper and have sent extra coupons that I wasn't using to fellow Diser's several times. I sent a couple of Lowes coupons to someone that asked on here this winter. :thumbsup2

It's sad that there are so many people running scams out there. :sad2:

Well, we didn't actually give them our info, but they had it after we paid using the Visa (debit) card. After they said it was fake, dh said ok and went ahead and paid. A manager was called over and said they were calling the police and giving them our info for fraud. In hind sight, you are probably right and they can't/won't do anything. How humiliating, though! Dh was NOT happy about being black balled from Home Depot, not to mention he already hated being around when I pay and use coupons! :rolleyes1 BTW, the seller did have good feedback.

I would have returned everything. Never in a million years would I have spent my money at a store that accused me of being a criminal!

Maybe I'm just hormonal, though... :rotfl:

I agree with the previous poster. I would have returned everything to Home Depot and taken my business elsewhere. In fact, if I were you I would consider calling the store and discussing the way your situation was handled with someone in upper management. That is fine if they don't want to accept the coupon, but turn you away. There is no need to threaten police action on something so trivial.

And if they are concerned about you getting 10% off your order and getting away with it, so what. It's no different than giving 10% off to legitamite coupons.

I would have returned everything. Never in a million years would I have spent my money at a store that accused me of being a criminal!

Maybe I'm just hormonal, though... :rotfl:

I totally agree and I don't think I'm hormonal :)

I do not mean to scare you, but counterfeit coupons are fraud. Make sure you have all of the information on the seller handy to protect yourself. Counterfeit coupons are a federal offense and the feds have had several cases lately they have prosecuted. On many counterfeit coupons they offer large rewards to turn in the counterfeitors. You can check www.cents-off.com and it will show some current counterfeit coupons and you will be able to pull up information on how serious this is.

Many retailers are going after customers now that bring them in. It is odd however that Home Depot would care that much about a Lowes counterfeit coupon.

This is a huge issue with all retailers and the Federal, state, and local authorities do investigate and prosecute these type of cases. Working in the field we have sent many people to state prisons for retail theft crimes. It costs retailers billion of dollars a year in losses and Governments are now passing strict laws. People work on a small to a national scale stealing merchandise and then returning it to the stores for gift cards, performing fraudulent returns, passing non-store merchandise as store merchandise, or counterfiting cards. People who steal and return will sale the cards for pennies on the dollar to unsuspecting people. The police would probably not do anything if you got stuck with a card. It would be like if you got stuck with a fake $5 and used it. They could just take your info and your on your way. People will sale them on Ebay just like fake purses. Retail security groups will even watch EBay for activity. Like anything else if it seems to be good to be true then it probably is. Buy from people you know.

OMG, I would have pitched a fit! How dare they treat you like that and embarrass you in the store. How does Home Depot know it's a fraud?? What are the police going to do? You found a coupon and tried to use it, it's not like you are printing off millions of Lowe's coupons in a get rich quick scheme! Some hoity toity cashier thought she was saving the day, lol!! (I'm a cashier, before I get yelled at) I would be on the phone with corporate. No reason for them to treat you like criminals.

and yes, I am hormonal :confused3

THD customer service is spotty but corporate will fix things up.

About 6 years ago I bought a washer and dryer set. I called to change the delivery/install date because my Dad was in the hospital and I am his primary care giver. The guy at Home Depot told me I had a set date (days away) and they would leave them in the driveway. I told them very nicely to go for it and at the same time to start looking for another job.

It is all about the escalation. Do it while the incident is fresh in your mind. Write down names. Don't get all emotional about it, just state the facts.

The driver ended up dropping off my set at THD near my house. And he was fired (happened to be the guy I spoke to on the phone). I sent a letter with the details to corporate. A regional manager called me, met me at THD, told me to pick out the nicest set I could afford and gave it to me at cost. That wasn't my goal, I just wanted the old set delivered a week later so they really went above.

Sooo to sum up a long post, if THD is hateful to you, note the person's name, the time of the incident and the store location. Write down the details while they are still fresh in your mind. Then shoot a letter off to corporate and see if they right the wrong.

They don't HAVE to take competitor coupons. They choose to. There are all KINDS of problems around here with fake coupons. As this involves their businesses they are pretty well aware of the different scams going on. Try not to get so worked up over it :) They have to do this because of the scammers not because of you.

Everytime I go into Walmart, there is a new copy of a fake posted on all the registers sayind "Do Not Accept". It's been anywhere from $20 of free batteries to multiple free blocks of Velveeta.

I wouldn't have bought anything off of eBay that you can pick up free at the post office to begin with. They have those in the moving kits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter