Does your 4 year old use a carseat on the plane?

While in a carseat with normal movement my children don't seem to disturb the seat in front of them. If they were kicking a seat I would tell them to stop, but I've never had that problem. And if the normal movement of my child's legs in a seat does bother the person in front of them and they aren't misbehaving, I could care less. Sorry, but my child's safety on an airplane is so much more important than them having a less "bumpy" ride.

I am just stating what I have seen. Once a person reclines most of those bigger kids are sqooshed in their carseats. Since you feel that this is the safest way to travel with your child then YOU should be the one inconvenienced- not someone else. Have someone from your party sit in front of the child if need be. That is being considerate.

I am just stating what I have seen. Once a person reclines most of those bigger kids are sqooshed in their carseats. Since you feel that this is the safest way to travel with your child then YOU should be the one inconvenienced- not someone else. Have someone from your party sit in front of the child if need be. That is being considerate.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We've used the CARES harness for my son since he was 1-1/2. Works great, because it is similar to his car seat so he knows he can't get out when it's on and it is a lot more secure than just the air plane seat belt. It is expensive to buy though if you don't fly very often.

He is 3 now and has flown a couple of times without it, when we forgot it, and did fine. We just kept him entertained with Play-do, DVD player, and lego blocks.

Agree, Agree, Agree!!!!!!

I have also been on the receiving end of "his feet don't touch the seat" Well if it is no problem you won't have any issue with sitting in front of them then.

Also goes for if you insist on putting the seat in backwards, then someone from your party should sit in the seat in front and be the one inconvenienced not a perfect stranger. Your kid-your inconvenience!

I was once made to take my 5 month old out of a "snugli", as they told me it was safer for him not strapped in. The more that I think of it, I have personally never seen a child in a carseat on an airplane.

I would check with your airline carrier. I think I remember being told at one point that only FAA approved carseats were ok, and they were few and far between.

I vote no. We had a rental on our last trip so I was taking my car seats either way. I figured it would be easier to just use it on the plane. I spent the whole trip apoligizing to the person in front of my DS because he kicked him numerous times. I was mortified. Thank goodness the person in front of us was kind. Needless to say I did not use it on the way home and he did fine.

My DS and DD will be 3.5 years old for our trip in May. It had never occurred to me to use a carseat on the plane. I plan to prepare them well ahead of time for what to expect--we used to take 8 hours trips to visit family every 6-8 weeks for over 2 years so they have experience sitting for long trips. I plan to bring several quiet, lightweight activities (coloring, flash cards, books, etc.) to keep their attention. We have late afternoon flights, so I plan to skip naps and they may snooze on the plane once we're at cruising altitude.

My son is too tall for CARES. Already looked into that. My main concern is that he might NOT keep his belt on. I'm leaning towards no seat at this point. Thanks everyone.

Before the flight tell him that it's just like the bus and there is no option to take off the belt. Keep reminding him every few days.

I was once made to take my 5 month old out of a "snugli", as they told me it was safer for him not strapped in. The more that I think of it, I have personally never seen a child in a carseat on an airplane.

I would check with your airline carrier. I think I remember being told at one point that only FAA approved carseats were ok, and they were few and far between.

:rotfl: That's ridiculous! I could name off more seats than I have fingers and toes that are very popular and purchased all the time. FAA approved car seats are not few and far between. Pretty much as long as it's a harnessing seat, it's FAA approved. I really wish people knew what they were talking about (not you- but whoever told you that) before they open their mouth.

Once a person reclines, EVERYONE is squished, regardless of whether they are in a carseat or not. I think you need to reconsider who is being inconsiderate of others. A carseat is about safety - not anyone's comfort. Parents are able to control their children's behavior most of the time. If my DD is kicking the seat (whether in a carseat or not) I will tell them to stop. That is, unless of course, the person in front of us is reclining and squishing everone. Then I am inclined to kick their seat myself!

Once a person reclines, EVERYONE is squished, regardless of whether they are in a carseat or not. I think you need to reconsider who is being inconsiderate of others. A carseat is about safety - not anyone's comfort. Parents are able to control their children's behavior most of the time. If my DD is kicking the seat (whether in a carseat or not) I will tell them to stop. That is, unless of course, the person in front of us is reclining and squishing everone. Then I am inclined to kick their seat myself!

the right to recline comes with your seat (or else they wouldn't recline) NO ONE child or adult has the right to kick and disturb the seat in front of them and it is the parents responsibility to make sure they don't or else sit in front of them. A person also doesn't have the right to take this away from the person who paid for the seat either with a car seat blocking it or a lap top, etc.

If you are going to interfere with the seat in front then a member of your party should sit in that seat. That is only common courtesy.

:rotfl: That's ridiculous! I could name off more seats than I have fingers and toes that are very popular and purchased all the time. FAA approved car seats are not few and far between. Pretty much as long as it's a harnessing seat, it's FAA approved. I really wish people knew what they were talking about (not you- but whoever told you that) before they open their mouth.

Two of my children are still in carseats. We own two Graco Nautilus seats. They are FAA approved.

If you refer to carseatsite.com it does provide a list of FAA approved carseats. Yes, I would agree that there are many models, but not that many different makes that are approved. They do tend to be some of the higher ticket makes, like Britax, and not everyone may have a seat on the list.

Maybe I should have been clearer in my earlier post. I just wanted to have the OP aware that she should check to make sure her carseats are FAA approved before even trying to bring them on board. It would be a hassle to drag them all the way to the gate to find out they could not be used anyway.

ok, to emphasize what another poster said - nearly every single harnessed carseat is FAA approved! I don't know what carseatsite.com is, but I would go to one of the forums run by carseat techs, such as car-seat.org

Also, I went to the carseatsite.com you mentioned, and you skipped reading half of the darn entry. She said she is selecting "travel seats" based on ease of use (light weight), basically. that has nothing to do with whether or not it is FAA approved. nothing.

Again, pretty much EVERY SINGLE HARNESSED CARSEAT ON THE MARKET TODAY IS FAA APPROVED. REALLY.

The Britax Regent is one of the only exceptions, and it is no longer being manufactured.

Each family will decide what is right for their children, but let's at least not spread incorrect information.

ok, to emphasize what another poster said - nearly every single harnessed carseat is FAA approved! I don't know what carseatsite.com is, but I would go to one of the forums run by carseat techs, such as car-seat.org

Also, I went to the carseatsite.com you mentioned, and you skipped reading half of the darn entry. She said she is selecting "travel seats" based on ease of use (light weight), basically. that has nothing to do with whether or not it is FAA approved. nothing.

Again, pretty much EVERY SINGLE HARNESSED CARSEAT ON THE MARKET TODAY IS FAA APPROVED. REALLY.

The Britax Regent is one of the only exceptions, and it is no longer being manufactured.

Each family will decide what is right for their children, but let's at least not spread incorrect information.

I think that you are misunderstanding me. I am trying to be helpful and make the point that I would check out my seat. I myself have FAA approved seats now, but I have experienced trouble in the past on a major airline carrier. I was just trying to help. I did not say the list was all inclusive, just to check it out.

My goodness, I promise never to try to help someone avoid any possible headaches again! I thought we were all here trying to share personal experiences to make everyones life easier.

My kids under 5 have always flown with a car seat... was it a PITA to lug them through the airport --ohhh yeah! but we wouldn't have done it any other way. My stepmother was a flight attendant for 20 years and after hearing stories from her about unrestrained kids, it convinced me.

I do have a question for anyone who has not rented a car and stayed on Disney property -- did you go to Universal or Sea World on your trip or was it primarily Disney?

OP here...

My carseats are FAA approved.

I think I'm going to take it. My son has recently become very scared of EVERYTHING. Lots of things he was fine with a few months ago are now "scary", including airplanes. :sad2: He freaks out and starts crying when I talk about our upcoming vacation and how we will be riding on an airplane. He cries and wants to cuddle just at the thought of it. If, heaven forbid, he decides to pitch a major fit when we get on the plane, at the VERY least, I can strap him down, put my arm around him, and calm him down, and HE will know that he CANNOT sit in my lap for a hug. He is easily persuaded by candy, lollipops and gummies, so I will bring them to break out if he gets upset. I'll also bring his blankie and stuffed dog for comfort. He will be fine once I can turn on the dvd player, but I don't want to take the chance that he will be so upset that he won't sit nicely for takeoff. If he turns out to be totally fine, on the return trip, we'll check the seat.

Thanks for all your feedback. I feel more comfortable taking the seat, mainly due to his developmental delays (speech/language issues as well as some autistic like tendencies). If he was a "typical" kid, I'd probably not even be asking...

The FAA and the American Academy of Pediatrics both strongly recommend that all children on planes be restrained in a child restraint until they are at least 40 pounds(rear facing for under 1). Legislation has been started several times to mandate this, but ultimately ends up getting tossed because once you require all children under 40 pounds to be in child restraints, free airfare for lap infants obviously ends. The ATA (trade group representing most of the major airlines) claims that ending free lap children will force families to choose to drive to destinations instead of flying and since driving is "riskier" than flying, more families will be put at risk. To believe they are more worried about your safety on the road than their bottom line is ridiculous. My children have always ridden in safety seats on planes until they moved to a booster in the car (at about 5.5 years old for my older kids, the 2 year old will still ride in a car seat). I never let them purposely kick the seat in front of them and I'm sorry if they accidentally bump the seat in front of them, but I will always chose my children's safety over convenience(mine or anyone else's). I have had my seat back bumped and kicked by lap children, older children getting in and out of their seats, people with very long legs(my husband falls in this category), and elderly people who use my seat back to hoist themselves up. Do you propose that all these people have someone from their party sit in front of them as well? I take getting bumped around on an airplane as part of the package -- if you choose to fly and fly coach (as I do) know that you're going to be packed in like sardines -- that's why the average Joe can afford to fly now. Yes, be as courteous as possible, but courtesy extends both ways.

So, if someone is reclining in the seat they paid for---which they have every right to do, you feel you and your kids have the right to kick their seat? Nice attitude.

Too bad for you... I paid for my seat and I am going to recline it if I want to because maybe it's more comfortable for me, especially on long flights. You and your kids do not have the right to kick the seat of the person in front of you just because they are reclining and you have some sort of anger management issue with that. I've been flying my whole life, and I think you are exaggerating when you say recliners squish everybody. They only recline about 4 incehs...not like we're lying on the people behind us. I've never been squished. It may be harder to get out, but I only get out to use the bathroom (or walk around sometimes if it's an international flight, which are very long flights).

OP-- I didn't use car seats for my kids on flights. They sat with the belt tightly around them and were perfectly fine. My kids have never bounced around in turbulence. Do what you feel comfortable with, and don't let anyone make you feel bad if you choose not to use one. I never see carseats on planes, and I fly a lot.

OP here...

My carseats are FAA approved.

I think I'm going to take it. My son has recently become very scared of EVERYTHING. Lots of things he was fine with a few months ago are now "scary", including airplanes. :sad2: He freaks out and starts crying when I talk about our upcoming vacation and how we will be riding on an airplane. He cries and wants to cuddle just at the thought of it. If, heaven forbid, he decides to pitch a major fit when we get on the plane, at the VERY least, I can strap him down, put my arm around him, and calm him down, and HE will know that he CANNOT sit in my lap for a hug. He is easily persuaded by candy, lollipops and gummies, so I will bring them to break out if he gets upset. I'll also bring his blankie and stuffed dog for comfort. He will be fine once I can turn on the dvd player, but I don't want to take the chance that he will be so upset that he won't sit nicely for takeoff. If he turns out to be totally fine, on the return trip, we'll check the seat.

Thanks for all your feedback. I feel more comfortable taking the seat, mainly due to his developmental delays (speech/language issues as well as some autistic like tendencies). If he was a "typical" kid, I'd probably not even be asking...

Sounds like a good plan, OP! :thumbsup2

So, if someone is reclining in the seat they paid for---which they have every right to do, you feel you and your kids have the right to kick their seat? Nice attitude.

Too bad for you... I paid for my seat and I am going to recline it if I want to because maybe it's more comfortable for me, especially on long flights. You and your kids do not have the right to kick the seat of the person in front of you just because they are reclining and you have some sort of anger management issue with that. I've been flying my whole life, and I think you are exaggerating when you say recliners squish everybody. They only recline about 4 incehs...not like we're lying on the people behind us. I've never been squished. It may be harder to get out, but I only get out to use the bathroom (or walk around sometimes if it's an international flight, which are very long flights).

OP-- I didn't use car seats for my kids on flights. They sat with the belt tightly around them and were perfectly fine. My kids have never bounced around in turbulence. Do what you feel comfortable with, and don't let anyone make you feel bad if you choose not to use one. I never see carseats on planes, and I fly a lot.

The poster I responded to was talking about their mere convenience and so are you. My child's safety will ALWAYS come before your convenience or anyone elses. My child has never kicked anyone's seat. The poster I responded to was saying when she reclines kids in carseats kick. Well, she needs to rethink reclining then. I was suggesting she relook at who was being inconsiderate. You always have the option of flying first class if you are concerned about how packed the coach sections are and are concerned about getting your seat knocked. My attitude is just fine. I think you need to rethink about what we are talking about here - someone saying that a child's safety is not as important as their comfort on an airplane. So, yes this does make me angry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!