Does this trip sound like a nightmare?

Sarah_Rose

DIS Veteran
So a good friend of mine (who currently lives on the other side of the country from us) and I are thinking of meeting up in WDW for a "girls only" (plus my toddler DS... ;) ) trip. Between the two of us, we have 3 kids - she has a DD that was born in March, and I have a DD who was born in May and a 2 year old DS.

The plan would be that we'd each fly to Orlando and share a room at a value resort.... so 2 adults, 2 infants, and a toddler in one hotel room. :scared1: We'd either go in early December or early May, so the babies would either be 6 and 9 months, or else 11 and 14 months, and my DS would be 2.5. We're both WDW veterans with lots of trips under our belt, and so we would not be into commando vacationing - we're all about taking breaks, going at the kids' pace, and being prepared to spend lots of time at the pool/playground.

I'm going back and forth between thinking that it would SO MUCH FUN and thinking that I must be crazy. :lmao: What do you guys think? I'm a SAHM and so I'm used to wrangling both kids on ambitious errands - we even do the Toronto Zoo (one of the world's largest zoos) a couple times a month with just me and the kids - but WDW is a completely different beast. ;)

Going with Nightmare on this one! Your oldest one will just be hitting the age where its fun. The little ones will just be there. That is alot of money to spend when the kids are so young. When we had our 2nd child we waited until she was 2 before we returned. Then you have to get their feedings in, naps, keep them out of the sun, etc. I can't blame you for wanting to get away but I think it would be more miserable than fun...

I think with the right expectations it would be fun. Yes the kids are young, but personally, I had so much fun when my kids were little. My kids now are 4.5, 10, 12. They each had their first trip no later than 6 months. So my older two went when they were 4m & 24m. We had a blast. Later that year we went with an 8m, 2.5 yo and 4 yo (niece). So fun!

I enjoyed it when they were all little and couldn't ride the bigger rides. Then there was worry about how to ride swap etc.

ETA: I would vote for December. First, it would be much cooler. A lot easier to wrangle kids when they are just tired (vs Hot & tired). Also I think it's easier before they start walking etc.

I don't think it sounds like a nightmare at all. I think you're going into the situation with the right thoughts.

To me the nightmare part was sharing one room with everyone. Just thinking if one of the kids decides they can't sleep how that would impact the others. But the rest of it sounds great.

I am thinking it sounds like fun! I would go for it and just take breaks. The babycare areas are really nice and quiet if you need to take a break in the park.

I have to say that while I wouldn't classify it as a "nightmare" I also don't think it would be an easy trip. First, you have to negotiate flying with 2 small children. If it were me, I'd be bringing my own carseat for my toddler, so there's that plus 2 children (double stroller?) and carryons to manage in the airport. Where would you put your daughter while you're buckling in your son's carseat? Would she be a lap-baby? Logistically, flying would be my personal nightmare.

Second, when you get to the parks, when you want to do rides (Pooh, Small World, Dumbo), you're having to get on and off with a baby strapped to you or in your arms, plus holding your son's hand. I wouldn't count on much help from your friend, since she'll have her own infant to handle. Bathroom breaks, diaper changes (x2 unless your son is trained), eating in restaurants, all sound like a lot of work to me.

Third, two infants plus a toddler and 2 moms in a value room - too close for my comfort. If one baby doesn't sleep well, no one is going to sleep well.

I'll freely admit I had my children a bit further apart (almost 4 years) and I would be stressed out trying to meet everyone's needs by myself. While in theory it sounds fun ("let's take the babies to Disney World!") I think it would be prudent to wait until you have another adult that will be another set of hands for you and you only. If you want to get together and have a girls' weekend and enjoy a pool, find a city halfway between the two of you where you can have some fun time together but I just don't see having all that expense of going to Disney when you won't fully enjoy it.

Just my opinion! :)

I'm voting for nightmare. Not only will the 2.5 year old be ready to hit every ride in sight while you have negotiate infants, I can't imagine sharing a room with so many little ones, especially those who aren't my own.
Also, you didn't mention if you and your pal have similar parenting styles. I know that DH and I are napping commandos. We head back to the room so our littlest one can nap in peace, but we have several friends are just "when baby crashes in the stroller, it's nap time." Normally that wouldn't interfere with our spending time together, but we took a trip with them and it really threw a wrench in works when we were trying to plan meet up times, dining times, etc.

So a good friend of mine (who currently lives on the other side of the country from us) and I are thinking of meeting up in WDW for a "girls only" (plus my toddler DS... ;) ) trip. Between the two of us, we have 3 kids - she has a DD that was born in March, and I have a DD who was born in May and a 2 year old DS.

The plan would be that we'd each fly to Orlando and share a room at a value resort.... so 2 adults, 2 infants, and a toddler in one hotel room. :scared1: We'd either go in early December or early May, so the babies would either be 6 and 9 months, or else 11 and 14 months, and my DS would be 2.5. We're both WDW veterans with lots of trips under our belt, and so we would not be into commando vacationing - we're all about taking breaks, going at the kids' pace, and being prepared to spend lots of time at the pool/playground.

I'm going back and forth between thinking that it would SO MUCH FUN and thinking that I must be crazy. :lmao: What do you guys think? I'm a SAHM and so I'm used to wrangling both kids on ambitious errands - we even do the Toronto Zoo (one of the world's largest zoos) a couple times a month with just me and the kids - but WDW is a completely different beast. ;)

Im going with nightmare:goodvibes The thought of being in one value room with 3 small ones and 2 adults:scared:
We have had huge sleep issues with our 4th child. She didnt sleep through the night until she was 2 1/2 (bad reflux baby). DH and I had to take turns getting a good nights sleep. It was really bad, so sleep is a huge thing for me. I just dont see how 2 infants and 1 toddler wouldnt be waking each other up a lot...and in turn waking everyone else up in the room. Now, if you are talking about a family suite at the All Stars or AOA...then maybe it wouldnt be a nightmare. Two separate rooms/areas to help insure a better nights sleep:thumbsup2
Can you tell sleep is my main concern:lmao: When you lose so much of it (like we did for those years) it is something you really covet--especially since wer were 41 when dd was born!! Old folks need their sleep:goodvibes

I would say it would be fun if you were residents because it wouldn't cost as much or be so much pressure. I have done Disney by myself with three kids under 5 but I lived 1 hour away and had an AP. I really don't like going places with other people and their young children because the whining multiplies and I tend to get more stressed worrying. Not even mentioning different paces, or parenting styles, or spending abilities.

It could be fun just be prepared for some challenges.

I vote for not fun, especially with everyone sharing one room. You'll all be grouchy because no one will be able to sleep. Why not wait until the kids are older and dads can come, or when you can leave the kids at home.

Sounds like fun to me! The only thing that might be tough is the sleeping arrangements in a value room. Would a family suite at ASM be an option? That way you have separate sleeping areas.

Other than that that it sounds great. Wraps and baby carriers would make it even easier if you are a baby wearer :)

I think it could be a great trip! As long as you have similar parenting styles and both are willing to go with the flow. My one concern too would be the room. I would do connecting rooms. That way you could isolate a crying child and have a place to escape once the kids are in bed to have some BFF time. I would look into the cares harness for your toddler for the plane and probably have the baby be a lap baby on the plane. Not the safest choice but I think caring car seats would be a nightmare!

It spuds like a nightmare to me! I guess it depends on how code you are and if the kids get along.

Thanks for all the thoughts, y'all! We're still kicking the idea around... early December is my favorite time to visit Disney, and so we're having a hard time seeing "reality" and not just the fantasy of a perfect trip with our adorable perfectly-behaved kids! ;)

I think with the right expectations it would be fun. Yes the kids are young, but personally, I had so much fun when my kids were little. My kids now are 4.5, 10, 12. They each had their first trip no later than 6 months. So my older two went when they were 4m & 24m. We had a blast. Later that year we went with an 8m, 2.5 yo and 4 yo (niece). So fun!

Yeah, I didn't mention that DS had already been to WDW once and DL twice before he was 18 months. ;) I know that I enjoyed traveling with just him at WDW when he was little, but it's the question of adding the second kid in there. At least so far, DD has been the easiest baby EVER, but a lot could change in the next few months.

To me the nightmare part was sharing one room with everyone. Just thinking if one of the kids decides they can't sleep how that would impact the others. But the rest of it sounds great.

Im going with nightmare:goodvibes The thought of being in one value room with 3 small ones and 2 adults:scared:
We have had huge sleep issues with our 4th child. She didnt sleep through the night until she was 2 1/2 (bad reflux baby). DH and I had to take turns getting a good nights sleep. It was really bad, so sleep is a huge thing for me. I just dont see how 2 infants and 1 toddler wouldnt be waking each other up a lot...and in turn waking everyone else up in the room. Now, if you are talking about a family suite at the All Stars or AOA...then maybe it wouldnt be a nightmare. Two separate rooms/areas to help insure a better nights sleep:thumbsup2
Can you tell sleep is my main concern:lmao: When you lose so much of it (like we did for those years) it is something you really covet--especially since wer were 41 when dd was born!! Old folks need their sleep:goodvibes

And good points. We were thinking it would be "fun" to share a room, but sleep could be a nightmare. My DS is currently going through a terrible sleep phase, and if he was like that during the trip, no one would be sleeping. I keep thinking that he'd just be exhausted during the trip so he'd sleep anywhere.... but I know from experience that that is not the case. Two rooms or an AoA suite (I've been drooling over the Nemo rooms for months!) could be a good option.

I have to say that while I wouldn't classify it as a "nightmare" I also don't think it would be an easy trip. First, you have to negotiate flying with 2 small children. If it were me, I'd be bringing my own carseat for my toddler, so there's that plus 2 children (double stroller?) and carryons to manage in the airport. Where would you put your daughter while you're buckling in your son's carseat? Would she be a lap-baby? Logistically, flying would be my personal nightmare.

With ya. We flew (moving cross country) in March with 19 month old DS, two German Shepherds, a canary, and me being 7 months pregnant. I feel like that has to be worse than a toddler and an infant, but I don't really know that right now. :lmao:

Sounds like fun to me! The only thing that might be tough is the sleeping arrangements in a value room. Would a family suite at ASM be an option? That way you have separate sleeping areas.

Other than that that it sounds great. Wraps and baby carriers would make it even easier if you are a baby wearer :)

I killed myself laughing at this comment. And then I read it outloud to my husband and he laughed, too. I'm one of *those* babywearers. The kind that owns 6-8 woven wraps (that rotate (through buying/selling/trading) depending on the month and my mood), a wrap-conversion mei tai, a couple structured carriers, and a few ring slings. :rolleyes1 Oh yes, a few carriers and wraps would be coming along to WDW. ;)

I think it could be a great trip! As long as you have similar parenting styles and both are willing to go with the flow. My one concern too would be the room. I would do connecting rooms. That way you could isolate a crying child and have a place to escape once the kids are in bed to have some BFF time. I would look into the cares harness for your toddler for the plane and probably have the baby be a lap baby on the plane. Not the safest choice but I think caring car seats would be a nightmare!

Great ideas! I'm really digging the idea of AoA - I'll have to try pitching it. I will raise our costs a lot, but I think it would make the trip a lot more manageable.... and give us adults a place to de-stress after the kids crash for the night. Also great idea on the Cares harness - I'm sure DD will have outgrown her infant seat by December (and definitely by May - she's already 18 lbs and not even 4 months!) and so there is no way I could haul two big car seats on to the plane!

This sounds wonderful if you could do it in May! Perfect ages! We took our DD at 12.5 months, 18 months and will be back in Oct when she will be 2. They are great trips!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Sounds fun to me! But if it were me, I'd look into renting DVC points for a one bedroom villa. You will want a kitchen with all those babies!

I think your issue is going to be sharing a room. Value rooms are tiny and the kids are going to end up waking each other up all night long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter