Does anyone else think this is a little creepy?

I was with a friend in MK in November, and we had lunch at BOG. They didn't hand us a rose, and being our first time there, we didn't really know HOW they would find us to deliver our food…

We went to the West Wing to find a table…it was crazy busy, per the usual…sat down at one table, but realized it hadn't been cleaned very well, so we got up and moved to another table.

When our food was delivered, it was delivered to the first table that we had sat at…the waiter eventually found us. We were amazed, though, initially never dreaming of how they'd found us.

"How did they DO that??!!" we wondered…thinking there really IS magic at Disney!!! Then, it hit us. The Magic Bands. In fact, it was the fact that the food had been taken to the wrong table that gave us our answer and we put the clues together.

First, it was a bit creepy/unsettling…but then we thought it was pretty cool.

I can assure you theres more data and tracking on the MB than Disney is telling you. I work for a company that deals in security. After discussions about certain topics with a coworker I gave my previous MB to him as he works with certain types of devices. He gutted my MB and pulled the two necessary pieces out that make it work. He used certain pieces of equipment on it (similar to skimming) and was able to retrieve certain pieces of data that included my cc. I was shocked at what he showed me. Drink the Disney koolaid if you must but don't be surprised when you look back a few years from now and see differently how things came together with tracking, personal information, etc.

I can assure you theres more data and tracking on the MB than Disney is telling you. I work for a company that deals in security. After discussions about certain topics with a coworker I gave my previous MB to him as he works with certain types of devices. He gutted my MB and pulled the two necessary pieces out that make it work. He used certain pieces of equipment on it (similar to skimming) and was able to retrieve certain pieces of data that included my cc. I was shocked at what he showed me. Drink the Disney koolaid if you must but don't be surprised when you look back a few years from now and see differently how things came together with tracking, personal information, etc.

Hmmm...this is very disconcerting. I thought the information was not on the band itself.

Disney has spent millions of $$ and it will pay for itself in tracking the guests. They will know where you are, how long you spend in a shop, or even how long you spend in a bathroom. This is info they will use in the future to decide where to set up another gift shop or vending cart. The MBs have antennas that recieve and transmit info. They are battery powered, and it is suggested the battery will last 3 years. The KTTW cards have passive chips, only good for a very short distance. We can opt out of the MBs and use the cards only, but everyone is wanting this new toy. And putting it in your pocket or purse will not stop it from transmitting info. You could put it in an Altoid box, inside a tinfoil lined bag, inside another metal box, or you could decline the MB. Big brother is watching.

Disney has spent millions of $$ and it will pay for itself in tracking the guests. They will know where you are, how long you spend in a shop, or even how long you spend in a bathroom. This is info they will use in the future to decide where to set up another gift shop or vending cart. The MBs have antennas that recieve and transmit info. They are battery powered, and it is suggested the battery will last 3 years. The KTTW cards have passive chips, only good for a very short distance. We can opt out of the MBs and use the cards only, but everyone is wanting this new toy. And putting it in your pocket or purse will not stop it from transmitting info. You could put it in an Altoid box, inside a tinfoil lined bag, inside another metal box, or you could decline the MB. Big brother is watching.

Have you actually read 1984? Disney tracking us to get us to spend a few more bucks doesn't compare to a life threatening tyrannical government tracking citizens to make sure they aren't rebelling. Using a trackable device to get onto ride, link pictures, and "magically" bring you your food simply isn't even close to the fictionally portrayed Big Brother watching his citizens.

Have you actually read 1984? Disney tracking us to get us to spend a few more bucks doesn't compare to a life threatening tyrannical government tracking citizens to make sure they aren't rebelling. Using a trackable device to get onto ride, link pictures, and "magically" bring you your food simply isn't even close to the fictionally portrayed Big Brother watching his citizens.

Aaack! Not logic and fact?!!

Same thing happened to us as the OP but on Splash. Never scanned our bands or anything, but the photo showed up anyway (even though we weren't even using PP). I figured it was related to MBs but I'm definitely curious as to why it only picked up Splash. We rode all the other rides that offer photos, and even used FP+ for several of them, but only Splash showed up in our PP account.

Jannylynn, I'm sure you will agree that there are many big brothers. And further, I never stated that WDW was the government. Let's keep this on topic, please. :flower3: I am just stating that the technology is there for us to be tracked, and yes, to stay on topic I do believe it is creepy. At this point, we can opt out, by using the KTTW cards, but many will choose not to. That is their perogative. If you don't want every move watched and analyzed, then don't use the MBs.

i don't believe this. post pictures with your credit card # or its not true.

Yes if you completely cover the band in foil it will block the signal.

Aluminum foil will also block radio signals if you wear it as a hat. Researchers at MIT tested them.:thumbsup2

OMG, if I start seeing people walking around with foil wrapped MBs, I will lose it. That would be hysterical!!! LOL

I don't get what people are creeped out about. If this creeps you out, don't ever Google yourself on the internet. LOL

It's simple technology that they've told you about ahead of time.

Not to get off topic, but, you are only a hop, skip and jump away. After all:

The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.  Adolf Hitler

Or, this is the beginning. Start small. With something insignificant. Who cares about Disney marketing? We're adults. We can think for ourselves. Make our own decisions. It's why the grist thing most dictators do during a takeover is kill the teachers, change education to stop free thinking, so we become more susceptible to whatever lines we are fed v. Knowing how to analyze and critique, to see connections from the past to the present and how it affects the future.

I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere someone posted the links to where there is some relationship between Disney and the NSA regarding magic bands. I can't remember what it was, but it was something that an intelligent, thinking person should keep in mind why harmless here, there is other potential.

Now, will I be wearing a tinfoil hat? Nope. We'll have the magic bands in a couple of weeks, but my eyes are wide open. And, I'm pretty sure there is at least some temporary storage on those magic bands.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Jannylynn, I'm sure you will agree that there are many big brothers. And further, I never stated that WDW was the government. Let's keep this on topic, please. :flower3: I am just stating that the technology is there for us to be tracked, and yes, to stay on topic I do believe it is creepy. At this point, we can opt out, by using the KTTW cards, but many will choose not to. That is their perogative. If you don't want every move watched and analyzed, then don't use the MBs.

No, I don't agree that there are many big brothers. It is generally used in reference to government monitoring citizens and mind control. You clearly haven't read that book to understand why I take issue with the comparison. Disney tracking us isn't the same thing at all. It's hyperbole to use that term. And I am on topic because it has been brought up often in this thread.

I agree. Opt out. Stay offsite. Don't pull fp- since they can link that to your ticket which has your name. Pay with cash. Refuse the fingerprint id. Wear a hat and sunglasses to remain incognito if you have issues with this.

I think (hope?) most people realized the above from the very beginning of the MB's.

I'm not the type that blindly believes what companies tell me.

I'd like more evidence beyond just "I work for a security company" and "a coworker of mine said..." before I drink your Kool-Aid, either.

My understanding was that information is not stored on the device itself, rather it transmits a key, which accesses your account.

All creepiness aside...I see great benefits to this technology for the parents who look down at a parade and their child is missing...if you can track a missing child , I say YEA! A few years ago, my sister and I followed a little fellow all through Frontierland. He looked about 4 years old.. We were looking to see if the people around him were "with " him and it turned out they were not..He didn't have a clue and was swinging his little block bucket, getting it down the street. The parade was about to start, so we got a CM to take him..That's when we found out other mothers were watching him too. It was very scary....someone could have wisked him away...he was adorable. Sooooooooooo, track away Disney! :banana:

All creepiness aside...I see great benefits to this technology for the parents who look down at a parade and their child is missing...if you can track a missing child , I say YEA! A few years ago, my sister and I followed a little fellow all through Frontierland. He looked about 4 years old.. We were looking to see if the people around him were "with " him and it turned out they were not..He didn't have a clue and was swinging his little block bucket, getting it down the street. The parade was about to start, so we got a CM to take him..That's when we found out other mothers were watching him too. It was very scary....someone could have wisked him away...he was adorable. Sooooooooooo, track away Disney! :banana:

This has been brought up before and its highly unlikely they would or even could use the bands this way. They have a very low power transmitter and the receivers are most likely only going to be in certain areas like ride queues.

Their current system of waiting and or walking the kid around is faster than taking the kid out of the area where you are looking for them, finding a reader, looking up your info, maybe trying to call you from one of the few phones that can dial an outside line and you hearing the ringer or you finding a CM where they can get to some sort of command center where "Big Mouse" ;) can try to find your kid.

The bands let them know where you have been not where you are.

So the moral is don't assume that the MB will keep track of your kid.

I had experience with a "lost" kid and the magic bands just last week. My family was entering the Studios and my oldest went to another line while the rest of us stayed put. He was held back because he couldn't remember what finger. We thought that Disney was handling it and planned to meet him at Toy Story. We get to the ride and he isn't there, but there is a call on my phone. Disney linked the band to my phone number and called. My son was detained at the front gate and my husband got him while my other son and I rode standby.
I see tremendous benefit to Magic Bands and am not in the least bit creeped out by the "big brotherness" of the concept. I studied statistics in grad school and my husband is in IT - we can only speculate on the possibilities of data mining all the data Disney can get from these bands. They say they aren't GPS tracking you, but rest assured they probably have enough passive scanners to track your movements better than a security room in Vegas.
With this information, they can better project crowd patterns and use that information for merchandise, food, as well as attraction and amenity placement. All good things, I suppose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter