Does anyone else think this is a little creepy?

I just checked my account and was disappointed that there was no "surprise" photos on there. :guilty:

Yeah, I'm actually in the opposite boat than the thread starter. We used our MB as the photopass through out trip earlier this month and I was interested to see ride photos just get automatically placed on there, but none showed up. I wouldn't buy any anyway, so it's not worth it to me to get them added onto our MM+ account, but I think it's a good feature and addition by Disney.

Anyone know why ride photos wouldn't show up on your account if you were wearing MBs all the time?

Clearly this is just one example of how Disney intends to recoup it billion dollar investment in FP+/MB. You didn't sign up for Photo Pass or purchase the photo when you came off the ride, so they'll take one more shot at squeezing this extra money out of you.

Clearly this is just one example of how Disney intends to recoup it billion dollar investment in FP+/MB. You didn't sign up for Photo Pass or purchase the photo when you came off the ride, so they'll take one more shot at squeezing this extra money out of you.

Well, and good on 'em, too! They're not forcing me to buy the photo, they're just giving me one more chance to consider it... if I want!

If they make more money this way, it'll be because people think the product is worth it.

I like it, and hope a bunch of ride photos show up from our next trip in April. Even if we don't buy any, it'll be fun to see them again.

Is it the ride photo? I don't understand the creepy factor. Your picture is taken on most of the rides. Don't you find it creepier that your photo is shown on the screen afterwards and anyone can buy it?

Do not do ETWB then, they give a generic photopass and every picture from that session is on it whether it's your child or not.

1- Is it the ride photo? I don't understand the creepy factor.

2- Your picture is taken on most of the rides.

1- Yes.
2- Not very many, really.

Attractions with "Ride Photos" taken of guests during the ride

MK- Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
MK- Splash Mountain
MK- Space Mountain

DHS- Tower of Terror
DHS- Rock'nRoller Coaster

Epcot- Test Track

AK- Expedition Everest
AK- Dinosaur

Maybe one or two more have been added.

Duh, yes and we have also known there was a camera for that purpose. These new pictures are more or less taken unawares.

What "new" pictures? It's not the same pic using the same cameras that they have been using for years??
I don't give a mouses bottom if WDW knows where I am at every minute of my life, maybe I should put my MB in my purse so they can track me when Im not there too....:lmao::rotfl2:::yes::

rmm7e said:
With the magic band, Disney definitely knows where you are at all times. I realized this while having lunch at Be Our Guest. They didn't give me a rose to mark my table, they delivered my food based on the band. That did creep me out because I was assuming you had to be in close range (and tap the sensor) for it to really work. Instead it's like a Marauder's Map and they are tracking you. (Or will be soon, throughout the parks.)

The ride photo thing doesn't bother me - in fact I think I would kind of like it if all of my ride pictures were automatically sent me so I could check them out later without having to do anything at the time. The BOG thing ^^ did creep me out though - when we were there in October they didn't hand us a rose, saying they'd find us using our bands instead. We actually left my band at our table under a sweater and went off to get our drinks, came back and moved to a better table. When our food was brought to us, the waitress mentioned that we must have moved tables, and I felt a little creeped out. Given how much Disney stresses that there's no gps-type thing on the bands, I was surprised to realize they could track us moving around like that.

Yes creepy but very interesting. I can see how guests can feel uneasy about this. On the otherhand many people probably purchase these photos.

I am aware that I am "on camera" almost constantly while visiting WDW. I am also aware that I am having my picture taken on various rides, etc and that complete strangers buy pictures with me in them and take them home and hang them on their walls. I am actually rather amused by that. In addition I know that I am probably in countless random photos taken by guests in the park (I have countless photos of people I don't know from my trips).

The aspect that I found creepy was that they were able to take one of those random ride photos and match it up to me and then email me. I was on dozens of rides during that visit where pics are taken and this was the only one that showed up in my account.

I don't recall reading any info that stated that they would use the magic bands to solicit photo sales. Perhaps if I had know they would use the magic bands for that purpose it wouldn't seem so intrusive.

I don't have a legal mind but I would imagine they would use the old excuse of "we have completed previous business with you, we have every right to solicit you". I personally have heard this so much lately

Oh my gosh! I was there Nov 10 to 15 and got a couple e-mails about my PP about to expire. I never used PP so I just assumed it was an e-mail sent to everyone. After I read this, I went to the site. I have 4 pictures! TT, RnR, EE (2, I rode twice). It lists the dates and times! It must read your magic band when the picture is taken! I don't know how I feel about this. It's nice that you have the photos but it's creepy that they could pull these up. They really are tracking you!

It will be a bonus for me and my son. He is a special needs adult, and by the time I get him off the rides and to the photo display, our pictures are gone. I know I can ask a CM to find them, if I wait in the purchase line. But, who wants to do that?

What I want to know, how about some of the other rides like Dinosaur, or Everest Expedition that have the photos and are not on the photopass??

Those rides ARE on photopass, though.

When our food was brought to us, the waitress mentioned that we must have moved tables, and I felt a little creeped out. Given how much Disney stresses that there's no gps-type thing on the bands, I was surprised to realize they could track us moving around like that.

They are pretty clear on the fact that MBs have long range transmitters and can be read from afar. I assume if you had had the rose and moved tables that would have been found as well.

Duh, yes and we have also known there was a camera for that purpose. These new pictures are more or less taken unawares.

We saw photos of guests projected on the wall when in the Nemo ride line. They were "head shots" of a father and his daughter. There were only the four of us in the whole line and it was very obvious it was their photos. The father was excited to see them.

Were their photos taken unknowingly when they entered the line? DD and I did not have MBs and photos of us were not projected on the wall.

They are pretty clear on the fact that MBs have long range transmitters and can be read from afar. I assume if you had had the rose and moved tables that would have been found as well.

Just to be clear. Based on the technical specs, long range means about ten feet.

I assume if you had had the rose and moved tables that would have been found as well.

The whole purpose of the rose was to find you to deliver your food. You don't take the rose with you when you leave. But you do take the magic band. And that's what is a little bit creepy to me. I don't have anything to hide, but there is something unsettling about being tracked like that, even when you know ahead of time and agree to it going in.

Okay, so we have been getting our pictures taken on rides without our consent for a long time, but how do they identify each picture and send it to our email address? It our MB somehow scanned as the picture is being taken? My daughter just called me ten minutes ago to tell me that she also received pictures this morning from her trip the week before Thanksgiving. She was totally creeped out as I was when she told me. We are going in February and I was excited to try the MB, but not now. I will be requesting a card to carry. It is just too creepy.

Okay, so we have been getting our pictures taken on rides without our consent for a long time, but how do they identify each picture and send it to our email address?

1- It our MB somehow scanned as the picture is being taken?

My daughter just called me ten minutes ago to tell me that she also received pictures this morning from her trip the week before Thanksgiving. She was totally creeped out as I was when she told me. We are going in February and I was excited to try the MB, but not now.

2- I will be requesting a card to carry. It is just too creepy.

1- Yes.

2- OK.

I got the email too.. I just thought it was some sort of error. I expected Disney to use the RFID to tag things to you throughout the park. In fact I can actually read my magic band using my cell phone and an app. (Close range..) Some of the information is encrypted, and for the most part the band is just an id #. Without Disney's database of information the id # is pretty useless. RFID is not new.. so if you are paranoid about being 'tracked' you might consider the fact that many credit cards / ID cards have RFID tags in them now. US Passports have an RFID tag built into them as well.

If you don't want to be 'tracked' you probably should stay home, and not use the internet. It's happening everywhere via facial recognition and more.

I see no issues with it. Just a different way for disney to track you when you are on THEIR property. As for the rfid... yes, the cards are read by sensors. However, even the "long range" ones are pretty short range. They do not have the power for all that much range.

I also think using them to keep data such as those photos is a brillent idea. I see nothing scary or creapy about it. When you approach the photo spot, it reads the band, the photo is taken and it is linked to the account. Your email and the like are already linked through mde. So not sure what the surprise is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter