Does anyone else get that, you must be crazy look from non DVCers

I wish MORE people did not understand the Disney Vacation Experience. :goodvibes
The parks and resorts are crowded enough already. Frankly I'd gladly pay higher ticket prices for lower crowds....;)

We have decided not to tell my parents/brother that we are buying in, precisely because of that look. We did explain the concept to my parents during their visit last week, and my dad did seem to sort of get it, but he is very conservative and anything that has the word "timeshare" even remotely associated with it makes him go :eek: .

In-laws all think it is great and want to come try it out. MIL/FIL don't do very well financially, so we will likely treat a time or two. BIL has a ton of Marriott freebie points from super-travel, plus they are very well-off, so he won't even accept our pts for a trip.

DH took me for the first time as an adult last year, and I was a doubter. However, I think that the air there must be addicting, because we have gone 3 more times since, and decided to buy DVC last month.

I get the "you are going to WDW again??" at work a lot, especially as we are a child-free couple. :lmao:

-Kat

I like the one where they say "Oh, that's right - you have to go to Disney - you bought that timeshare there, didn't you?" And then you get the look.

We just passed ROFR for BWV, waiting for closing papers:yay: ..was so excited was talking about it around some co-workers. Well right away the comments were " how many times can you go to Disney?".:mad: Well, those that commented either never went, or went once with all kids, rushed vacations. They never experienced it from a relaxing angle.:snooty: They don't understand the superior accomodations and staff.

I don't even tell people about DVC unless I know it is someone who gets it. We joined in 2004 and then did the 7 night Western DCL cruise. Last year we had 6 nights at BCV and then another 5 nights at VB. In September we are using points for one of us and cash for the other for another 7 night cruise. The points we are banking we are going for 2 weeks to BCV and VB in 2008. Yes, it was a big waste of money.:rotfl2:

I think it all has to do with their concept of Disney and what to do while they are there. Last year, just prior to buying into DVC DH and I went with my mom and dad. They only go once in a blue moon, not yearly like DH and I do even though we do not have kids. They are used to doing Disney commando style (with my nephew) and standing in lines forever. I explained we'd be doing things differently and the plan was to relax and have fun :rolleyes1 We went during Thanksgiving (yikes crowds:scared1: ) but I had ADR's for all meals and had booked a tour for each day we were there and made sure we went back to the room to relax and unwind. I thought dad would be the hardest to impress since he's used to doing it "his" way. I think he had the most fun! They never knew about booking tours or making ADR's. I thought Dad would have had a hard time enjoying Hoop Dee Doo review since English is a second language for him and can be somewhat challenging. That was his favorite thing second only to the Segway tour! Other than Soarin we did not ride anything that wasn't part of a tour and they both completely loved the expreience!

So, once we bought DVC and broke the news, they were so excited about coming along on our next trip! They were both very supportive and are looking forward to doing some vacationing with us from time to time. My brother on the other hand, totally doesn't get why or how we could go to WDW as much as we do, much less buy DVC :confused: In his opinion WDW is the most stressful thing he can think of and can't wait until his DD2 and DS11 are old enough to not want to go anymore. I suppose he hasn't considered the fact that they very well might have inherited MY love for WDW :lmao: I kinda feel sorry for him, he has no idea what he's missing! I told him to just gimme once chance and do a Disney trip with me and see if he changes his mind. It hasn't happened yet but I don;t give up very easily. As for the rest of the world (friends co-workers) they already think I'm nuts so this isn't a big surprise :rotfl2:

None of my family gets it, I really wish they did. It must be a gene.( and I'm glad I have it) I love community theater and most people in that love disney. No DVC'ers but if they knew the details( or just took the time to investigate ) they probably would be neighbors. I talk to a person tonight that goes every other year, now he could stay in at a DVC for what he pays for that value resort. People just don't get it. Even Disney lovers don't get it.

Most of the time people think I'm talking about the defunct "Disney Club" -- the discount card Disney used to have. They'll say, "Oh, I used to be a member too." ;)

My family gets it, cause they know how I feel about WDW....But even people I spoke to IN WDW during my solo trip, were a little perplexed..''Oh, a timeshare'' is what you hear a lot..
The folks at work think I am bananas:banana: Shouldve heard their comments when I told them I was going solo:scared1: They thought I was off my rocker, and that I have no friends, so that must be why..:rotfl:

My family really doesn't get it but they respect our choice in DVC ownership. Co-worker opinion is pretty mixed. One co-worker loves all things disney but is happy enough to stay at the All Star's or Pop Century and doesn't feel that DVC is for her because her husband never travels to WDW with her. Another peer commented (before we actually finalized the contract) "I wouldn't waste any money on that...I told my kids that we're done with Disney!" Most people know how much we love WDW and just laugh..."so when are you going again?"

I get "you're going AGAIN?" all the time. One friend asked me what the fascination was, I said "it's magical" he said "really? in what way?", I told him, you can't explain in it words, you have to experience it in person. We feel the magic over and over again every time we go :wizard:

I get "you're going AGAIN?" all the time. One friend asked me what the fascination was, I said "it's magical" he said "really? in what way?", I told him, you can't explain in it words, you have to experience it in person. We feel the magic over and over again every time we go :wizard:

Amen!!!!princess:

We also get that look, and the "Are you going to Disney again?"...and we reply, Yes we are, this time, next time to VB, two months ago a cruise to the Bahamas, and next year to Aruba, along with more trips to WDW! So far we've shared our Dinsey "home" with our good friend and his two children, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, two sisters, a nephew, a neice her husband and their two children, and in April we're going with a dear friend, his wife, and their three children! None of them will ever look at us with that two headed stare again!

We know all about the "look". Thankfully we do have some friends that get it, and we hope to take my MIL and FIL next January. If we can actually get them to go, I'm sure they will be converted as well.

Scott

We also have had the same problem over the last 10 years. We have owned DVC for the last 7 years and have gone there every year since we bought. Everyone always asks where we are going for spring break even though they know where it is and I usually just say Fla. I always feel vacations are very personal and should be where you enjoy yourselves and really feel comfortable and safe. We are taking friends this year and the last 2 years we have taken family. We have all of the sudden come into a problem next year because now family wants to come with us again and all the families from the senior class want to come down too. All of the sudden they all don't want to go to Mexico (not sure if it is because if everyone can drink). They actually say they dont want to ever go back to Mexico with the kids so Im not sure whats happening there. I will have to ask. Lots to think about before next year.

I like the one where they say "Oh, that's right - you have to go to Disney - you bought that timeshare there, didn't you?" And then you get the look.

We get this comment all the time! We also get the "Why don't you just go to Six Flags? It's cheaper and it's the same thing." Umm....No!

I was wondering after reading about the "look" we get from non-Disney people, has anyone ever had a friend or family member dislike WDW after a trip? A recent trip that is, not 10 yrs. ago. I've only read about people who "get it" after they have been there. Has anyone not "gotten it" after a trip?

Oh yea, I know people have not "gotten it" after a trip. I'm sure these are some of the people that become the ones who give the strange looks. Some of the reasons they dislike Disney after they go, is because they do it "all wrong" IMHO. They go in the summer, or on a holliday weekend, they pick hotels that involve the most logisitcal nightmares, and they don't plan for any meal reservations. Plus, they don't understand other things such as the fastpass system, etc. One huge mistake I feel is not scheduling in some "non-park" days. This is a huge help to making a 7 day + trip go very well.

So when they get back hot, sunburned, out of money, and a from a week of standing in line after line even for dinner, yeah they "don't get it". I think every first timer should go with an experienced guide and planner to help show them how it's done right... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter