Does anyone else get that, you must be crazy look from non DVCers

LarryKeith

Are we there yet!!
:charac2: Does anyone else get that, you must be crazy look from non DVCers when you say you bought into it? Most people I know think I'm a pretty smart person but when I talk about DVC to family or friends you would think I had 2 heads with the look I get. I just wondered if anyone could relate to this?:idea:

Yup, all the time! But we don't care. It's our happy place and we share it with family and friends who understand.

We just added 150 points :cool1: ! So let 'em scratch their heads and wonder what is "wrong" with us. Less people to compete against when making our ressies ;)

I think I got it over the phone yesterday from my mother when I mentioned my husband and I were probably going to buy in.:rolleyes:
I wish there was a better word than "timeshare" to use, because I'm pretty sure she stopped listening after that. People already think I'm crazy for going to WDW once (or more) a year so what's a little more derision? :)

Oh yeah. The biggest problem seems to be that they cannot grasp the concept of points and how they work. It takes a lot of explaining and sometimes the glazed over look is still there. Oh well, I know it is a great value so that's all that matters.

hahaha! i know exactly what u mean and i just became an owner. still waiting for my packet to arrive. believe it or not i am also considered to be a "smarte" person by freinds and famile. when we told them we bought into dvc they didnt know what to say. i know its somewhere between congrats (i think) and boy r u stupid! everyone knew it was only a matter of time before we bought a "timeshare" but they never would have guessed it to be dvc. i can tell they almost feel sorry for us because they think we got suckered. oh well, i cant wait to show them all our pictures from our first visit to ssr probably next year. i bet after they see the pics they'll start asking some more questions :)

Yep. Count us in as 'people who just cannot be thinking logically!' I was a little shocked at others' reactions and can totally understand why you submitted this post.

Fortunately, there are boards like these and you can see the excitement in those who have and are purchasing!!! Also, my SIL/BIL have been DVC owners since 1994, so they are thrilled we joined and have enjoyed their benefits for over a decade now! They have never regreted their purchase and in fact, just added a 150 points!

I'm a single guy who owns , with my mother on the deed too. I explain the whole thing and how it works to dear ole dad. Dad is also my boss at work.

Last year go away on vacation to BWV during summer.

I tell dad this winter I'm going back this summer. He says " AGAIN?" you just bought DVC last year, are you gonna buy it again.

I guess he thinks it cost $22,000.00 for a one week trip to Disney World. Thank goodness mom understands! <G>

We get it just from going to WDW so often I don't even tell people we own! We just got back and my sister said "aren't you sick of that place yet" I replied yeah but cm's come to our home beat us up and take our money forcing us to go back.:rotfl2: Why in the heck would we go if we were "sick of the place"

My MIL had a similar reaction. "You want to go again?"

As my husband just said to me, "You can go hundreds of times and it's different each time." We still haven't done everything yet.

We just did Family Magic Tour in December and we plan to do Cirque DuSoliel for the first time in June. :)

I love to here these replys, the 1 thread hit home. Thank goodness that there is this board to know we as DVC addicts are not alone.

What about the comment--"You are going to Disney again? Didn't you just go there. . ." Though now my "little" sister is slightly hooked! She now wants to go with me every 2-3 years now that she has a job. Most people ask what is there to do if you have already been before without realizing that each trip is different than the last. That's fine with me, the less people know the real Disney, the fewer crowds for me to deal with on my trips! Though I now have my good friends' toddlers telling everybody I am taking them--they are 3 and 4--to Disney, just the 3 of us. . . They seem to forget their older sisters and parents are going too. . .

SimbaCub
OKW April 2007
VWL Thanksgiving 2007
VWL Week before Christmas 2007 with friends

I have a friend who bought at OKW in 1996. I thought she was nuts. So in 1999 she invited me to a weekend with online friends at OKW. I fell in love with the 2 bedroom. About 6 months later, I bought at BWV. I loved that area from when I stayed at the Beach Club. Now my mom thought I was nuts. Until I took her to OKW about 6 months later. As she walked around the 1 bedroom with her jaw dropped, I knew it was worth it!:goodvibes When we got home, she was telling everyone about "our apartment"!

We have been to WDW several times the past few years and our friends DON'T GET IT. My parents have been a lot with us too and I have not even told them. My dad gets burned out on Disney but my mom loves it. We will probably NEVER TELL OUR FAMILY. :rotfl: They don't get it, they don't appreciate it like we do. I have a close friend that became members about 2 years ago...SHE GETS IT. We talk Disney all the time. Our kids love it and their kids will too. Who cares what the rest of the NON DIS world thinks. :hippie: Peace-Love and Disney.

Everyone says are you going to Disney AGAIN???? They don't know about HHI and VB but we do.:banana:

I get those looks all the time. Usually, those people already think I'm nuts for going to WDW that often. I'm from CT and amazingly, the people that don't understand why I go to WDW so often, have no problem going to the Jersey Shore (which I despise) every weekend in the summer. But "that's different".

Hey, CT. I hear you! We're land-locked here in lovely central OH and people either go to VA Beach or Myrtle. Give me FL beaches and WDW any day!!! In fact, we had gone to WDW in July and then spent a week there before Christmas. Want to hear the worst part? We hadn't joined DVC yet!!! That's approximately $4,000 we could have put towards our membership! Ughhh! :headache: Anyway...talk about a magical time! I had never been over Christmas and the decorations were beautiful (not to mention the 80 degree, never-rained-a-day-while-there weather!!!). You guys are right...a different experience EVERY time you go.

Wishing all of us many happy, healthy, safe & magical returns!!! :grouphug:

:charac2: Does anyone else get that, you must be crazy look from non DVCers when you say you bought into it? Most people I know think I'm a pretty smart person but when I talk about DVC to family or friends you would think I had 2 heads with the look I get. I just wondered if anyone could relate to this?:idea:

Yup, we're new members and some of the few people we've talked to about it with give us "the look". Of course, it's odd because while we get "the look"....often times at some point in the ensuing conversation a hint gets dropped about going with us on a trip. :)

As for "the look", I ignore it. I know what value it is to my family and, since I dont' tell others how to spend their money, I don't expect others to tell me. I just smile and mentally move them to the bottom of the "maybe go with us someday" list. ;)

My Mom used to look at me like that until last year. We took her & my brother, stayed in a 2 br. BWV (w/ BW view). ;) Now they get it. :)

There are a few people who scratch their heads, but being from Florida, it's more accepted that you spend a fair amount of time at WDW.

And I find once we invite the doubters along on a trip or two, they quickly change their minds.

One of my favorite things is to take guests into a 2 bedroom unit at OKW! Never had one yet who wasn't amazed.

You mean this look....:confused: . Yep. I have some people who I don't tell anymore (my brother for one). He loves to rustic camp and I give him the same look :confused: . So were even. We talk politics instead.:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter