Does Animal Kingdom Lodge have Two Home resorts?

I am not arguing the point that it is a glitch of some kind, but for legal/paperwork reasons isnt your name associated with a specific room in one of the two resorts when you bought in. Perhaps this is where the problem is originating.
My contract at VGF is titled as a % part ownership in a particular unit number, but I’m not limited to booking that unit number at 11 months. I assume Poly owners own a % of one of the units in a particular long house but they aren’t limited to only booking ‘their’ longhouse at 11 months. SSR owners own a % in one of the buildings and some own a % of a unit in the treehouse additions, but they aren’t limited to booking their building or a treehouse at 11 months. AKV has units in 2 buildings - Jambo and Kidani - but it’s one DVC resort.

I am not arguing the point that it is a glitch of some kind, but for legal/paperwork reasons isnt your name associated with a specific room in one of the two resorts when you bought in. Perhaps this is where the problem is originating.
Yes, your contract will officially be in one or the other. We have 2 contracts with one being at each so they are both checked all the time for us. It was a screw up when they updated the site but seems to have been fixed for most people now (they just have to manually check the box for whichever one they don't 'own' at).

My contract at VGF is titled as a % part ownership in a particular unit number, but I’m not limited to booking that unit number at 11 months. I assume Poly owners own a % of one of the units in a particular long house but they aren’t limited to only booking ‘their’ longhouse at 11 months. SSR owners own a % in one of the buildings and some own a % of a unit in the treehouse additions, but they aren’t limited to booking their building or a treehouse at 11 months. AKV has units in 2 buildings - Jambo and Kidani - but it’s one DVC resort.

It's slightly different with AKV because it actually does name which resort your contract is in (unlike the other examples). But yes, it is 1 resort.

Screenshot_20181112-224142_Samsung Internet.jpg 20181112_224232.jpg

Your DVC contract and deed specifies a particular room in a particular building. And indicates the percentage of ownership you have of that room. This is the amount that is equal to the number of points that you have.

If you own at Kidani, then your home ‘building’ is Kidani. If you own at Jambo House then you own at Jambo House. However, that is essentially just for bookkeeping. Just like the fact that I own at Polynesian means that I own in a particular building at Polynesian. Possibly even one of the Bungalows. But I don’t know which one and I don’t care because I get to use the whole Polynesian resort. It doesn’t matter which room and which building contains your ownership at Animal Kingdom. You get to use the entire resort as your Home Resort, including both buildings and all the facilities.

And this also applies to scheduling at AKV. The two buildings are listed separately on the Reservation program, because the rooms at each are slightly different. However, both of them are your home resort, and if you click on both of them in the reservation search engine, you should be able to schedule both at 11 months. As far as I can tell, it matters not a whit which one you own in.

I think this is exactly what's causing the problem. My contract shows I have ownership at Jambo, and that's the option that appears by default when I'm booking more than 7 months out. Before the update by Disney IT that broke it, both Jambo and Kidani appeared. Yes, you can find the missing option and select it if you want to search both, but that's a workaround and should not be a permanent "solution" from Disney.

I see that the problem has been fixed for some people. As of right now it's not fixed for me.

Adding to the discussion of what you actually own:

-- When you purchase DVC you are deeded a percentage interest in a "unit." A unit is seldom a single room -- the rooms are officially called "Vacation Homes" A unit is actually a combination of two or more rooms/vacation homes at AKV (other resorts are similar although at OKW each building is a unit.

-- If you check your AKV deeds, you will notice that there actually is no mention of Jambo or Kidani. Instead you are deeded an interest in a unit that is in "Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas."

-- As the Declarations for the Animal Kingdom Villas note, "only a portion" of the Animal Kingdom Villas exist at what was previously called the Animal Kingdom Lodge and is now called Jambo.

--As the original Declarations also show in Exhibit A thereto, the "Animal Kingdom Villas" include both the units in what is now known as Jambo and what would become the entire building now known as Kidani.

In essence, there is only one AKV and everyone who owns there owns an interest in what is one large DVC Resort that includes both Jambo and Kidani. The reservation system, until recently, never made a distinction between a Jambo owner and Kidani owner. The only distinctions made resulted from having the buildings treated as separate booking categories (not separate ownership categories). It is only with the recent change in the reservation system that owning at Jambo and Kidani were separated (when legally there is no such separate ownership interest). The system needed to show Jambo and Kidani separately for the purpose of making reservations. Disney IT, on the applicable page, was trying to show your home resort separate from the others but because of AKV's distinction in reserving rooms they had to show two different buildings. They could have done it differently and what they did led to the system problems of reserving AKV buildings at 11 months out, and now that problem, which should have never occurred, is being fixed. None of us who have been owners for many years should be surprised that Disney IT screwed up and caused a serious problem when doing an update; that is just par for the course.

Last edited:

Adding to the discussion of what you actually own:

-- When you purchase DVC you are deeded a percentage interest in a "unit." A unit is seldom a single room -- the rooms are officially called "Vacation Homes" A unit its actually a combination of two or more rooms/vacation homes at AKV (other resorts are similar although at OKW each building is a unit.

-- If you check your AKV deeds, you will notice that there actually is no mention of Jambo or Kidani. Instead you are deeded an interest in a unit that is in " Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas."

-- As the Declarations for the Animal Kingdom Villas note, "only a portion" of the Animal Kingdom Villas exist at what was previously called the Animal Kingdom Lodge and is now called Jambo.

--As the original Declarations also show in Exhibit A thereto, the "Animal Kingdom Villas" include both the units in what is now known as Jambo and what would become the entire building now known as Kidani.

In essence, there is only one AKV and everyone who owns there owns an interest in what is one large DVC Resort that includes both Jambo and Kidani. The reservation system, until recently, never made a distinction between a Jambo owner and Kidani owner. The only distinctions made resulted from having the buildings treated as separate booking categories (not separate ownership categories). It is only with the recent change in the reservation system that owning at Jambo and Kidani were separated (when legally there is no such separate ownership interest). The system needed to show Jambo and Kidani separately for the purpose of making reservations. Disney IT, on the applicable page, was trying to show your home resort separate from the others but because of AKV's distinction in reserving rooms they had to show two different buildings. They could have done it differently and what they did led to the system problems of reserving AKV buildings at 11 months out, and now that problem, which should have never occurred, is being fixed. None of us who have been owners for many years should be surprised that Disney IT screwed up and caused a serious problem when doing an update; that is just par for the course.

I liked this post because, as always, @drusba provided expert clarification of the issues. Great post!

As far as I can tell, it matters not a whit which one you own in.
The only time it would matter which Unit you own at a particular resort is if your Unit becomes uninhabitable. For example, if there is a fire or a hurricane that damages a particular bungalow at the Poly, Disney could opt to tear that bungalow down and not rebuild it. The owners of the Unit would receive some insurance proceeds and no longer receive any points for that contract.

It's been awhile since I read the document, but if I remember correctly, if they do opt to repair the damaged Unit, those who own that Unit might not be able use their points until the repairs were complete and that Unit was ready for occupancy again.

Let's hope that never happens to anyone!

We own at AKL and can book at Kidani or Jambo House at 11 months.
As mentioned, your contract will list either Kidani or Jambo House, but you can book at either.
Ours says Jambo House, we have never stayed there and always booked Kidani at 11 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter