do your add on points last 40 years?

DisneyPhD

<font color=peach>Too old is when you stop breathi
We just bought 170 points and for us that is all we can aford to buy right now. When we bought we thought we would stay at 170 and just make it work with sudios every other year. But maybe we will add on some day (that way I can have BCV also!)

It seems that many people on these boards add on points. If you buy 2002 and then add on 100 more points in 2007 are those points good for another 40 years or do they stop in 2042 when your orignal points stop? If that is true it seem like a waste of points. (this is considering new not resale.)

And if add on points do last 40 more years, does it also count with small amonts of points (20 or so?)

Right now all add-ons expire 2042 just like new purchases. Everything expires then. Whether that will change with a future resort after BCV is unknown.

Everything ends Jan 31, 2042, regardless when purchased.

If DVC should eventually offer some sort of extension, all points owned would likely fall under that program, but as of this time, any contract purchased will end in 2042.

Stay tuned!

All new sales, add ons and resales of current DVC locations expire in 2042.

There has been much discussion about when DVC points will begin to go down in value as they get closer to 2042. Some think they won't drop until we are less than 20 more use years (ie, around 2022). Others think it will be before that time.

Since many DVCers figure a 7-10 year break even on points, it is conceivable that the value per point will hold up for some time yet.

In any event, buying in 10 years will not be a "waste of points". It will just be a decision of whether 30 years of DVC is a good value.

Thanks for the quick answers everyone. I may be dense but I still don't understand fully.

If I bought 170 points in 2002 that expire in 2042,

Then add on 100 points in 2012 do those points expire in 2042 also? It seems to me that they should expire in 2052.

I will be more likely to add on points if you get the full 40 years out of them ( I am 30 now so I could still have more then 40 years worth of vactions in me!)

Everything expires in 2042.

Those who originally bought in 1992 will receive 50 years of usage rights. Those who buy now will receive 40 years. Those who buy 10 years from now will receive 30 years, assuming they are buying current DVC homes.

Disney could open up a new DVC resort after BCV and have it end at some point after 2042. Like Doc said, stay tuned!

The whole entire Disney Vacation Club, no matter when you buy or where you buy, ends on Jan. 31, 2042. On that day you own nothing anymore in the DVC.

At some point in the future they might start selling something else (maybe a DVC II), but NOTHING has been said about that by Disney, and probably won't for many, many, many (20 or more) years.

Just adding my $.02

The program does not last 50 years or 40 years or 30 years. It lasts until January 31, 2042. Since DVC began in 1992 this has been the end date. Over the last 10 years people have continued to pay more and more for points although the number of usage years is decreasing. Based on sales at BCV, this should continue for some time to come.

WOW! I did not know that. I was given the impression ( or might have assumed) that you buy for 40 years at a time. Our DVC guide keep talking about having it for the next 40 years, I did not realize that if we had bought 10 years ago we would have had 50 years of use. Funny in all that they explain to you, this was an detail I missed. Thanks for clearing that up. It really is so much to keep track of, but we love dreaming about and planning out WDW vactions, so I don't mind.

We had been planning to buy in a few years, but decided now is as good of time as any. It apears the sooner you buy the better. I guess if we are going to add on at some point we shouldn't wait to long to do it. ( I think we will have to a least 2 years, we payed cash (credit card really to get flyer miles) for our 170 points and need to recover!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter