Do you understand your spouse's job?

Yep, he fixes big cranes and other big diesel things. I know this because he used to come home smelling like diesel. That is NOT a good smell. Though my DH used to say "that smells like money " Unfortunately, it wasn't a lot of money in our little part of nowhere! Hense, the new job in a new city :)

He drives a truck so pretty straightforward. Now there are conversations we have about e-logs, DOT laws, and certain places he has to go to load and unload and their rules that I just smile and nod. Lol.

He hasn’t a clue what I do. He knows my title but because my title doesn’t really describe the job, no clue at all.

My husband owns his own business and has a home office so I overhear phone calls, see invoices and work orders, customer lists. I set up his Google business information and leave thank yous to customers who leave feedback. So, yes, I know his work intimately.

He is IT and does something with the Cloud. I really have no clue. I coach gymnastics so DH knows what I do but he doesn’t understand how I do it.

I don’t know if I would understand his job - it’s classified. I have no clue what he actually does once at work.

My DW is a Senior Regulatory Advisor and I have no idea what she does. I mean, she's told me what she does but I just don't understand.

Do you understand your spouse's job?

Not really. I can explain it to people in a pretty simplified version, but once he gets into the specifics, I just sort of listen to "be a good listener". I don't actually absorb everything.

My dh is a mechanical engineer who co-owns an oil and gas engineering company with a fellow college alum. They design, manufacture, sell and support downhole drilling tools for oil and gas wells. I can, in general, explain what the tools do and why they're important and necessary but if he tried to explain them to me in further depth, my eyes would glaze over. I am also able to convincingly ooh and aah over his tools and act impressed when they remodel their building or add onto it. I also act supportive when he comes home stressed or has to travel or work late. I figure that's all I need to do.

I'm a SAHM. He thinks he knows what I do all day, including spending too much time on the Dis (according to him), but he really has no clue. I think he thinks there's a magical toilet paper and dry cleaning fairy who make these things magically appear in our home.

Yes. I do statistics (productivity) and the spouse does programming QA for a software company. We wouldn't be able to do each other's jobs, but we're both familiar enough to understand the general gist of everything.

I think he thinks there's a magical toilet paper and dry cleaning fairy who make these things magically appear in our home.
lol it took 2 years of living in our house before my husband found out where the bulk extra toilet paper (we get it from Costco if that helps visualize what I mean when I say bulk) was at :rotfl:

I understand very well what my husband does and he tells me about it all the time :) Also his job is people oriented so it's easier to understand - but how he manages to not strangle people on a regular basis - that I do not understand.

He tries to understand what I do - but I work from home doing gig work on the computer and of course take care of the kids and such as he tends to work 70+ hour weeks. He has a very basic sense of what I do, but stumbles all over himself trying to explain what I do to other people. He's on vacation this week and you can just see he's confused by what I'm doing - and since he was home he went to pick up the kids from band camp and couldn't believe that it took over an hour of his day just to pick up the kids. LOL - I've been complaining about doing kids pickup for 15 years and he is also very appreciative and sympathetic but until you're the one doing it you just don't know.

My DH was laid off in March. His company went bankrupt, then the technology was acquired by another company. I understood what he did, but I have a hard time explaining it to others who don't understand technology (like my parents). No one is currently performing DH's function in the company that acquired the technology. Several people who weren't laid off moved to the new company and are rallying the management to bring my DH back. Management thinks other people could take on the reporting function, if they knew what to do. Now they're talking about bringing DH back for two months to teach them everything he did. His challenge will be to go in and prove himself invaluable so they'll hire him permanently. Fingers crossed!

Actually, my wife and I were the two finalists for the same job........long before we started dating. She got the job, I got another job at the same place a week later. Although due to how budgeting for positions was done, my start date was before hers.

My DW is a Senior Regulatory Advisor and I have no idea what she does. I mean, she's told me what she does but I just don't understand.
I have no spouse but if I did I wouldn't care what her job was as long as she is contributing to the house-hold expenses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter