Do you tip the restaurant when you pick up the food yourself?

Tink3815

DIS Veteran
We tried a new pizza place. When paying for the food at pick up , they have you tap your credit and you need to choose from no tip to up to30%. I always tip for delivery, but not sure why we are tipping for cooking and packaging the food. The place is super busy for take out and looking for more staff so I don't think it's pandemic related. Is this the new normal?

Last edited:
Same here. I tip for everything now, more than I used to. I’m just so happy to be going back into places that are open and willing to serve me!
I'm talking pickup, not dining in.

Soooo what's the difference between tipping at a place that you pick up a pizza and a cheesesteak and a drive thru place like burger king. They are both cooking and packaging food.

I never think twice of tipping anyone at a drive through.

The difference in some places is the waitstaff may be packaging those orders and bringing them out front to the customer, and depending on the state are treated as tipped staff and getting $2.13 an hour unless their tips get them up to the state’s minimum wage.

NY state recently enacted a law the tipped positions outside out of NYC now have a Minimum Total Compensation Per Hour of 12.50 an hour. As of 7/2021, all fast-food workers in New York State must make at least 15.00 per hour.

It depends, I think. Is this a local place, or a chain?
If local, I'd fill in for 10-15% if I was just picking up.
I didn't use to, but with 'the plague' we need to support local businesses.

A chain, I'm not at all likely to tip, especially if they "tell" you to with suggested amounts.
I'm pefectly happy to tip my delivery person, and waitstaff, and I add a bit extra when I feel I can afford to. They deserve 'combat pay' for dealing with the unknown these days.

In California, all restaurant workers get at least minimum wage ($14/hr this year, will be $15/hr next year). So not quite the same situation as other places.

I tip 10% or so for pickup. I am good giving a bit extra because of the current situation, but I am frustrated by the places that are trying to get me to tip 30% for pickup. (Side note: when did we blow past 20% tip to 30%?) I had a restaurant default to that amount just this weekend. For an order I placed online, and went into the restaurant to pickup at the counter - and was at a place that is always self serve, even if you eat in (not much different than McDonalds really). That hit me as WAY over the line.

In California, all restaurant workers get at least minimum wage ($14/hr this year, will be $15/hr next year). So not quite the same situation as other places.

I tip 10% or so for pickup. I am good giving a bit extra because of the current situation, but I am frustrated by the places that are trying to get me to tip 30% for pickup. (Side note: when did we blow past 20% tip to 30%?) I had a restaurant default to that amount just this weekend. For an order I placed online, and went into the restaurant to pickup at the counter - and was at a place that is always self serve, even if you eat in (not much different than McDonalds really). That hit me as WAY over the line.
Definitely over the line. Food prices have increased 20% and to add an additional 30% makes getting take out almost impossible for some.

I always tip between 15 and 20%. I might tip 30% if I only ordered like one item or made any special requests.

This is crazy to us Brits.

$15 an hour would be seen over here as good pay for wait staff.

30% tips on top in a takeout 😂

I go to mcdonalds and order from Mobil app. They bring the food out to me
( Mobil parking is across the parking lot) they don’t have a tip option. I don’t understand why one would tip on to go orders or pick up orders at a restaurant.

it reminds me of those lil places that you stand in line order and there’s a tip jar at the counter. 🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

at a sit down we do tip but servers bring our food and drink because they have to but nothing extra or special that they do for us. Tipping is just the norm and expected but I do tip extra if they fill my drink without me having to ask and if they are friendly. I will only tip 15% if server just bring our food and I have to get their attention for refills. To be honest service has gone down hill before the pandemic. I feel some servers just expect the tip so they half as it. I love the ones that do an awesome job and are happy to serve, we make sure to give a good % and a lil extra.

In the absolute height of the pandemic, I tipped everything. A Lot.

Now that we're in the "vaccine" phase, I've gone back to more regular tipping - if I asked them to accommodate my allergy (and I show up and they did, b/c I always ask), I tip my own take out allergy food 20-25%. For the rest, I don't tip unless it's a huge or complicated order. So, my tip amount varies, but tends to shake out to 5-8% of the total takeout bill.

Thing is, there are VERY few places I can pick up without asking to "make sure it's separated", so the 5-8% tends to be standard (I even do it at Five Guys:))...

Yes at places that offer sit down wait service, always have. Since the pandemic we have tipped much more, probably 30+%. Why, my kids were servers in college and everyone had to take a turn on carry out and missed out on tips during their shift they always appreciated when folks tipped and would mention it. We are also tipping more at our favorite sit dowm. We watch out servers wash then sanitize each table, chair, wash/sanitize the wall behind the table after each customer, we appreciate it. I also figure it helps them with more carry out and less indoor dining taking place here. We can afford a Disney vacation, yes we save up for them, so we can afford to tip a little more. My husband was unemployed for 4 months of the pandemic and we still haven't received any unemployment so we didn't order out so I do understand a tight budget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter