Do you think it’s rude?

I'll tell you what the difference is in your scenario -
If we are there to watch the fireworks/parade, we are not going to deliberately stand behind tall people because, being petite, we know I can't see.
We'll get behind shorter people. But, if people, at the last moment, hoist a child on their shoulders, you have NO way to plan for that. Does that make the situation clearer? Of course, taller people have the same rights as anyone, but they don't suddenly 'grow' when the fireworks start!

"...they don't suddenly 'grow'..'" made me laugh. I do find shoulder kids rude as well as constant cell phones and iPads.

He said what are you talking about, there are bunch of people doing it (which there was)
That's the reason this post, and others exist. To those who find it rude the fact that others do it doesn't make it acceptable. If no one did it you wouldn't have these threads.

would I rather have her throwing a fit in this crowd?
I feel for ya because that was a tough situation to be in. I'd still would find it rude because I'm sure there are plenty of kids who couldn't see either who didn't end up throwing a fit. You did what you thought you needed to do I get it just saying kinda unfair to the kids who couldn't see, weren't put up on shoulders of their parents but didn't throw a fit either. I get how you were trying to nip something in the bud, just saying I can get how others would view that as rude regardless.

Is it rude for tall people to stand somewhere other than the back of the crowd?
My husband tries to do that as much as possible. luckily when we saw HEA where he was standing, on a slower night, blocked as few people as possible as we were up 1 or 2 people behind a railing. A guy with his kid pulled up onto his shoulder (not quite like what you would see it was him bracing his kid up against his body rather than hoisting the kid fully onto his shoulders but close enough) and it for sure blocked portions of the view for me. When we watched the Star Wars fireworks my husband stood away from me and he went towards the back. When we saw Illuminations we were up against a railing at least right by a dock-people could at least plan more accordingly.

His height is something we often think about- he's over 6ft 5inches and I'm over 5ft 3inches. We try actively to not block people; sometimes we can't but most often we'll stand off to the side in certain circumstances so he's less likely to be in the way. It's at least something we think about. And if I encounter someone much taller than me I actively move, as best as possible, to a place, wherever I'm at so not just speaking towards WDW, where I can see better. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But my height is something I often think about. It's a neverending struggle lol..no joke movie theaters that don't have true stadium seating (meaning enough of an incline of rows) cause me problems and I get flashbacks to sitting in booster seats as a kid..only as an adult I can't sit in those lol.

Yes, I find it incredibly rude, after standing in a spot for an hour and the show starts and wham, up goes all the children. Not thinking of others and not realizing you’re blocking the view of everyone behind you is no excuse. Same with holding your phone or tablet up.
If you’re going to put your child up on your shoulders then stand in the back.

LOL as a parent I do this every time. It is hard enough for an adult to move to a better viewing spot but when you have child it is impossible. I find I am usually near other parents doing the same thing. For me it's about my child's enjoyment, if you are sans kids and unobstructed viewing angles are a must then book one of the many special viewing opportunities Disney offers.
Or maybe if you want your child to have an unobstructed View being all about your own child’s enjoyment you should book one of those special viewing opportunities Disney offers?

Last edited:
Or maybe of you want your child to have an unobstructed View being all about your own child’s enjoyment you should book one of those special viewing opportunities Disney offers?
I just think it’s something ppl like to complain about. I am short. If I can’t see it’s b/c the person in front of me is taller. It’s just part of being short. But, I have never had an issue seeing (for the most part) b/c most things are up. I can’t recall ever thinking that I would have a better view if it weren’t for the kid on the shoulders in front of me. But, if I care enough to want the prefect view, I pay for that experience. I’m not saying it’s not rude but that I don’t rely on other ppl to make sure my experience is enjoyable. I expect most ppl will be the most concerned with their own experience whether that’s right or wrong, it’s the way it is.

I just think it’s something ppl like to complain about. I am short. If I can’t see it’s b/c the person in front of me is taller. It’s just part of being short. But, I have never had an issue seeing (for the most part) b/c most things are up. I can’t recall ever thinking that I would have a better view if it weren’t for the kid on the shoulders in front of me. But, if I care enough to want the prefect view, I pay for that experience. I’m not saying it’s not rude but that I don’t rely on other ppl to make sure my experience is enjoyable. I expect most ppl will be the most concerned with their own experience whether that’s right or wrong, it’s the way it is.
What's different here is that you can walk up, stand behind someone taller than you, and decide to accept that view. They don't get taller just as the show starts. The kids never go up on the shoulders until showtime, when it's too late for most to find a better spot.

What's different here is that you can walk up, stand behind someone taller than you, and decide to accept that view. They don't get taller just as the show starts. The kids never go up on the shoulders until showtime, when it's too late for most to find a better spot.
Yeah I get it but b/c I’m short I rarely can stand behind anyone who doesn’t obstruct my view so I either make sure I am in the front row (like for a parade) or pay for a view if it’s important to me. I guess b/c that has been my experience I don’t rely on other ppl. And, I’m from NOLA & kids on shoulders at parades is the norm. Adults on shoulders can sometimes be the norm!

The first projection show I saw was at Disney Paris. Lots of kids on shoulders, lots of pardon and shifting about and taller folks to the sides, then… lots of smiling faces. As a taller, childless couple at the time we did move a step or two to accommodate folks, I think the jostling for position is part of the requisite activities for the situation.
As the now parent of a very small child, at this point he’ll probably spend some time on my shoulders, and I’ll probably spend some time shifting around with other folks to make sure everyone gets a reasonable view…
Rude, unwavering, unreasonable behavior is one thing, along with the unfortunate false sense of entitlement that always manifests in a guest or two at any Disney experience. But I don’t think a kid on a parents shoulders is inherently that.

I'm a wheelchair user and the accessible viewing areas fill up quickly, so if I miss out there, I have to really work to find an area where I'll have any sort of view from the chair. In the last few minutes before a show starts, the crowds always push in, and people have even tried standing BETWEEN MY LEGS because they think that's an open spot to view the fireworks while I, apparently, get to watch their butt instead. I'm not even exaggerating.

So yes, children on shoulders are a problem for me. Children can happily view the fireworks while being held at arm level. I hold my own daughter on my lap and, if I can see, she can see.

I've had my 2 and 4 year old on my shoulder at different times, but I'm usually to the side on main street. I've also held both my kids in my arms so their eye level with me.

Depends on the situation. I don't think any one is doing it to be rude, but people are trying to let the kids see better.

I wish everyone would sit down, frankly. And they have stroller parking for everything, except this? I get it, I've been in those shoes... but you see people taking space for strollers, and people.
I typically have to pick up kids and alternate holding them so they can see, since tall adults think it's okay to block the view of little kids. I don't do the shoulder thing, because I do think it's kinda rude, but it's also not very safe. Some parks don't allow it.

Just sit down..

I wish everyone would sit down, frankly. And they have stroller parking for everything, except this? I get it, I've been in those shoes... but you see people taking space for strollers, and people.
I typically have to pick up kids and alternate holding them so they can see, since tall adults think it's okay to block the view of little kids. I don't do the shoulder thing, because I do think it's kinda rude, but it's also not very safe. Some parks don't allow it.

Just sit down..

One of the things I liked about Tokyo Disney is that there was a section where everyone sat for the parades and if you wanted to stand there was another section for that too. Strollers had to be in the back or folded up.

LOL as a parent I do this every time. It is hard enough for an adult to move to a better viewing spot but when you have child it is impossible. I find I am usually near other parents doing the same thing. For me it's about my child's enjoyment, if you are sans kids and unobstructed viewing angles are a must then book one of the many special viewing opportunities Disney offers.

If it's about your child's enjoyment, why don't you spend the money to book one of the special viewing opportunities? I find it absurd that you expect someone to spend a lot of money just to avoid you rudely blocking them with your child on your shoulders.

One of the things I liked about Tokyo Disney is that there was a section where everyone sat for the parades and if you wanted to stand there was another section for that too. Strollers had to be in the back or folded up.
Yep. Tokyo Disney has a couple things going for it. One, the culture... two, it's operated by a different company that licenses the brand.
I'd LOOOOVE for WDW to start testing this out, with signage and cast members telling people to sit down in if choosing to view from the hub. It's even worse if there's a stage show. The angles are impossible.

what bothers me more than kids on shoulders is people with the light up mickey ears flashing in my face while I'm trying to watch Fantasmic!

"...they don't suddenly 'grow'..'" made me laugh. I do find shoulder kids rude as well as constant cell phones and iPads.

Taller people have the same rights as everyone sure but my husband is 6'7" and he always tries to make sure he's towards the back of a crowd or not standing in front of a shorter person, especially at events where lots of kids are trying to see.

In terms of hoisting kids on shoulders I do feel like it's rude but also it's a bit of a situation where if you can't beat 'em, you have to join in - so many people get up towards the front and block the shows this way that if you have a little one and you're towards the back this ends up being the only way they have a chance of seeing the show, perpetuating the problem, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter