Do you tell your neighbors you're moving?

I said this 4 years ago...

TS560x560~4043718.jpg

B
Like I posted years ago, don't know why this seems to be an issue only on the DIS. Other forums you get flagged for posting a new thread instead of replying to an old one no matter how old it is.

Indeed. But the new post does not provide any new information or ask for anything related to the subject. An 11-year old thread is unnecessary to revive.

B

Indeed. But the new post does not provide any new information or ask for anything related to the subject. An 11-year old thread is unnecessary to revive.
I disagree. The experiences posted 11 years ago are just as valuable today. Like I said, on other boards a Moderator probably would move a new post on the same topic to the existing post without regard to how old the original post is. Why have multiple posts on the same topic when you can consolidate them and make it easier for everyone? At least that seems to be a popular mindset many places but the DIS.

I didn't want to be honest, but I had to. I asked one of my neighbors to help me with moving. He has a van and fortunately he agreed. Dunno if it was a great idea, cause it took us too much time to pack everything, and we also had to go several times here and there, so his wife wasn't happy about that. Nevertheless, we had a nice goodbye and I even miss them a little.
Welcome to the dis, Tommy.

Like I posted years ago, don't know why this seems to be an issue only on the DIS. Other forums you get flagged for posting a new thread instead of replying to an old one no matter how old it is.
Hmmm....never seen that happen anywhere.

Hmmm....never seen that happen anywhere.
Disclaimer from one site I belong to.

Repeated subjects.
Recommend new members search the group. With 16,000+ members in the last 12 years, we have covered everything in detail. You will find great information.

I still think it's silly to go to an thread over a year old for anything, I don't want to read about stuff that doesn't even exist anymore so I don't get the suggestion.

"Hmmm, what is on TV this weekend?" became, "Hmmm, what is a good movie to get at Blockbuster?" which is now, "Where in the world can I find 30 Rock?" which is now streaming and so a mashup of thoughts and timelines would mess with the time space continuum.... nope.

I still think it's silly to go to an thread over a year old for anything, I don't want to read about stuff that doesn't even exist anymore so I don't get the suggestion.

"Hmmm, what is on TV this weekend?" became, "Hmmm, what is a good movie to get at Blockbuster?" which is now, "Where in the world can I find 30 Rock?" which is now streaming and so a mashup of thoughts and timelines would mess with the time space continuum.... nope.
Somehow I think neighbors still move.

I didn't want to be honest, but I had to. I asked one of my neighbors to help me with moving. He has a van and fortunately he agreed. Dunno if it was a great idea, cause it took us too much time to pack everything, and we also had to go several times here and there, so his wife wasn't happy about that. Nevertheless, we had a nice goodbye and I even miss them a little.
I would never ask my neighbors to help me with moving the house. I'd definitely tell them that I move, but I'd rather hire a moving company to help me with my stuff. I've already faced with 'a man with van' when my mom was relocating to another apartment. When the guy arrived, he was alone, so it was me who had to help with everything. Also the final price was a bit higher than expected. Later I also read at https://expomovers.com/what-are-the-risks-of-hiring-super-cheap-movers/ about some other pitfalls that did I could probably face with. So I'm glad all stuff was safe, but from now on I'd better hire professionals.

Last edited:
Some seem to get annoyed when an old thread is restarted. Usually that happens when someone new to Dis doesn't change the default sort order and happens to comment on an older/inactive thread not realizing how old it is.

1. Random new poster resurrects old thread
2. Other posters point out that the thread is old
3. Dan welcomes new poster
4. tvguy argues that bumping old threads is the preferable way to run a message board
5. Rest of us argue about all of the above
6. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Just another Thursday on the DIS CB :rotfl2:

ETA: 99% of the time, new poster is never seen from again

I can see by the clock that it is haiku time.

Another thread resurrected.
What's a fool to do?
Best to eat a shawarma.

I mixed my number order. I haven't had my coffee yet.

1. Random new poster resurrects old thread
2. Other posters point out that the thread is old
3. Dan welcomes new poster
4. tvguy argues that bumping old threads is the preferable way to run a message board
5. Rest of us argue about all of the above
6. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Just another Thursday on the DIS CB :rotfl2:

ETA: 99% of the time, new poster is never seen from again
So well said, dad. :thumbsup2 :laughing:

Disclaimer from one site I belong to.

Repeated subjects.
Recommend new members search the group. With 16,000+ members in the last 12 years, we have covered everything in detail. You will find great information.
So a recommendation to search? Got it.

I disagree. The experiences posted 11 years ago are just as valuable today. Like I said, on other boards a Moderator probably would move a new post on the same topic to the existing post without regard to how old the original post is. Why have multiple posts on the same topic when you can consolidate them and make it easier for everyone? At least that seems to be a popular mindset many places but the DIS.
I think it's because the DIS started with boards specifically about park visits, and the procedures/tips/info for the best experience changes so quickly that the default here became starting a new thread. (I wouldn't want to read advice for paper FastPasses now, for instance.)

I do agree with you that on the community board, reviving old threads can be fun and work just fine for timeless advice. But occasionally we do see new (possibly fake) posters reviving an old thread as an advertisement for something, which I'm sure the mods also want to discourage.

People across from me were putting their house on market and they came to all of us prior to the sign going up to let us know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter