do you still get excited.......

Disney Hot Mama

DIS Veteran<br><font color=coral>Onion haters unit
Do you still get excited when you go every year or more often? We are heading to BCV for our first trip as DVC members on Friday. For whatever reason I am excited about seeing our new 'home' as we bought sight unseen. I am not as excited however about the entire trip. We have been several times in the past few years and I am wondering if this is the reason. I am swamped at home with many projects and this might be the reason but my kids don't seem as excited as I hoped they would be. They are DS (8) and DD (6). Maybe they are spolied as they have been here several times too!

I know once I arrive and reveive my first welcome home and see our room things will change but until them I really want to get excited.

Last August was our first trip as DVC members. My other half says it was the best holiday we as a family have had.
Much like yourself we had many projects at home, as we only moved in a few years ago. I am in the miliary here in the UK and our first choice of accomodation, our home resort , of the BCV had to be cancelled initially, due to the conflict last year. But the kind people at Disney managed to arrange accomodation at the Boardwalk. It was fantastic, five minutes walk to Epcot and Fifteen to MGM. What a place to be. We're already planning our next trip, (2006) with the in-laws in tow.
Have a wonderful time...

We love all our trip to WDW and OKW. We starting planning before we even get back home. We go every year and have been since 1994 and before we joined. We still haven't seen and done everything. There is always more to do. We rarely relax because we want to spend as much time on the run as we can. To me vacation is go go go and have lots of fun. That is what we do! We did go to VB this last May and that was nice but only for a few days. Can't stand to much quiet but the ocean was great! Have a great trip "HOME".

Our trips "home" now are a lot more frequent since buying into DVC. As you can see from my timer, we are getting ready to leave for the airport in a little while. We go about 4 - 5 tims a year now, usling LONG weekends instead of weeks at a stretch.

I still DO get excited, but it is in a different way. I no longer feel the urge to DO parks at commado pace. As a matter of fact, I doubt this long weekend trip will even have us IN a park other than maybe EPCOT tonight for Illuminations (love those APs).

Our purpose for this trip is to attend the Drum Corp shows at the Citrus Bowl on Friday and Saturday nights and check out SSR. We combined points with our best friend and that also helps stretch the points and get more bang for the buck!

Have a safe trip and a GREAT time!

pinnie

My DC are 7, 8, and 10. We bought DVC in 2000, with our first trip in 2001. We discovered (after having a seasonal pass the first year) that we did need a break.

We took a year off and then bought an AP for last year. We wanted to change it up a bit so we went at different times than we had done before (like going for New Year's Eve, etc.). But, we found that after going alot for a year, once again we need a break. On our final visit at Spring Break this year, we barely did the parks. We would go in the AM to the parks, spend the afternoon at the pool, and hang out as a family in the evenings at the villa or on the boardwalk.

I never thought my children would rather play games in Community Hall than go ride Test Track, but it has happened. Not that that's a bad thing, just that we are more relaxed now when we go.

This time, our break will be bigger. We are not going back for 2.5 years this time. We're planning a July 4th trip for 2006 and it will allow us the use of 3 years worth of points. So, once again, we'll buy an AP and plan lots of trips. The new attractions will be open and we'll be all excited again.

For us, we've just found that if we take a break, it's all new and magical again and the bonus is that we can take our time and not spend all day, every day in the park. We can relax and enjoy all the resort options and the other wonderful things about Disney.

Lissa

We try to get to Disney two to three times each year, sometimes it is more. We enjoy each and every trip. There is no need to "do everything and see everything" on each trip. We have some things planned each trip -- maybe it is Flower/Garden or Food/Wine at Epcot, Halloween party at MK, December for holiday festivities, etc. We enjoy Disney history/trivia and like to find hidden Mickeys, think about the names on the windows on Main Street, take the time to notice the wonderful detail that goes into theming and the like. But often it is just to relax and enjoy being in a separate world :)

We include in Disney trips cruises on DCL, DL, and the non-WDW DVC resorts.

The excitement is gone for us. That is one of the reasons we took a year and a half rest from WDW. I am looking forward to being down in Florida in January because of the weather. WDW really has changed too much for me to really like it anymore. They once had what is called family rides, now they have replaced a lot of them with thrill rides. I will still enjoy OKW in January, the parks are no longer an attraction for us.

Originally posted by Pa@okw95
... WDW really has changed too much for me to really like it anymore. They once had what is called family rides, now they have replaced a lot of them with thrill rides. I will still enjoy OKW in January, the parks are no longer an attraction for us.

I can understand that sentiment. Walt created DL to have a place where the entire family could play together. The introduction of thrill rides I guess has become a necesasry evil in the business. We go to the parks for some rides but now more to enjoy other activities.

Fuynny that you brought this up. After our last trip to WDW, on the way home, my husband (who is the bigger Disney Nut than me) looked at me and said "We need a break from WDW.".. to clarify, the kids aged 4 and 6...just did not get along this trip, so I am sure that contributed to some of our less-than-perfect trip.

But you know what.....any trip to WDW is better than being home! So, we just thought that we would try mixing it up, next we will do the 4 night cruise and tag on 3 nights at DVC afterwards.

I do honestly like that we don't go commando anymore......but maybe we need a trip there and not do the parks, or maybe try Universal.

We do "other" vacations also that have nothing to do with WDW or DVC....so maybe that is something that you might want to try, if you already don't? Try mixing it up some!

Bobbi

I still get excited by every trip.

Since joining DVC we, too, have gone from being more commando in the parks to enjoying them at a more relaxed pace.

We try to do something different every trip - be it a tour, new place to eat, or a new ride. This past May we did the Segway tour and loved it.

Most of all I'm excited to be away from work, away from the day to day things at home, and getting to spend quality time with my DH.

We do a non-Disney trip each year as well. It is Hawaii this September, and San Diego next year. You are correct, there is much to see and do that is not Disney!

We, like you bought site unseen at WLV. We had been to WDW 3 trips prior to that in as many years. We realized this was going to be at least an annual trip for us in the coming years so DVC made sense.
Our first trip, I too was concerned about this very same thing. What we found out was DVC offered a whole diffrerent angle to a WDW vacation. We were relaxed which was nice.
Yes, we still are excited about those upcoming trips.

While we too bemoan the fact that WDW is becoming less "Family friendly" and more teen oriented, we still think there are plenty of things to draw us there. After twenty some trips, I still get excited to go! We were just discussing last night if we would get bored with two trips so close together at the end of the year. We decided the answer was "no"!

Originally posted by Disney Hot Mama
I am swamped at home with many projects and this might be the reason but my kids don't seem as excited as I hoped they would be. They are DS (8) and DD (6). Maybe they are spolied as they have been here several times too!
We have been looking forward to our WDW vacation for many months now despite having gone several times in the past few years. But now as we're 48 hours from departing, we too are swamped and feeling like we'll never get things together to leave. So right now, we feel more stress than anticipation.

But we know when we get there, all that will drain out of us, and we will be left with a great vacation and more family memories.

Our vacations have evolved like others and while we definitely visit the parks, we also find time to enjoy other amenities on WDW property and in the Orlando area.

But if a break helps you to "recharge" the Disney batteries, that may be the best for you. :)

The excitement is gone for us. That is one of the reasons we took a year and a half rest from WDW. I am looking forward to being down in Florida in January because of the weather. WDW really has changed too much for me to really like it anymore. They once had what is called family rides, now they have replaced a lot of them with thrill rides. I will still enjoy OKW in January, the parks are no longer an attraction for us.

I too believe that this is the direction the amusement industry is heading, however I believe Disney is doing a great job of balancing it. For instance last fall saw Mission Space (thrill) but also Mickey's Philharmagic (family). Of the four new attractions coming in the next year or so, 3 of them are family oriented with only one thrill attraction: MGM stunt show (family), Stitch's Great Escape (family), Soarin' over California (family), and Expedition Everest (thrill). I know this is off topic, just wanted to make an observation.

I guess that's the beauty of being able to bank your points. For us, I look forward to when the kids can ride the thrill rides... I know they'll love them like we do! (And if they don't, that's ok too.)

But I've been to Disney probably 5 times in the past 10 years and I still can't wait to go. There's so much to do that isn't Disney, plus, there's always just getting away to Florida to beat these Michigan winters. Not a bad thing - even with NO Disney in the picture. You could also try taking a Vero Beach or HH vacation every other year if you get tired of Disney on-property resorts. Just an idea.

Sherri :)

Hi,

Having DVC has 'forced' us to take an annual vacation. Before we bought, I had to beg for one!

The result of an annual trip is a less commando game plan. Plus, we know what we like and plan accordingly.

We were last at DW for NYE. I figured that many would be too sloshed to go to MK the next day and was right. We went to bed early and did EE. Until 1 PM, we almost had the park to ourselves. Then, we left and enjoyed the Poly. We planned EE twice more and had a blast. Even tho it was a crowded time, we really managed well and took advantage of Fast Pass too.

As for meals, we know which restaurants we like and plan for those too.

Now, we're going on a 4-day cruise (haven't been in 3 years) and another trip to DW for our DD's Spring Break in April. After thoroughly studying these boards and books, we have a nice schedule including one day out of the park entirely.

A good way of making the trips interesting is switching hotels. We started with Poly last time and did our 'second' home BCV. (Our original points are at HH.) In April, we're doing the Poly Conceirge for 2 days and then BCV.

We're looking forward to using the points for other places besides Disney in the future too. HH is nice (only if the weather is good). We went 2 years ago for Spring Break and rained almost the whole time (there's definitely a lot less to do than if it rained at DW.)

Planning these trips gives us something to look forward to. The thrill is STILL there!!!!

d

Originally posted by mbw12
Fuynny that you brought this up. After our last trip to WDW, on the way home, my husband (who is the bigger Disney Nut than me) looked at me and said "We need a break from WDW.".. to clarify, the kids aged 4 and 6...just did not get along this trip, so I am sure that contributed to some of our less-than-perfect trip.

But you know what.....any trip to WDW is better than being home! So, we just thought that we would try mixing it up, next we will do the 4 night cruise and tag on 3 nights at DVC afterwards.

I do honestly like that we don't go commando anymore......but maybe we need a trip there and not do the parks, or maybe try Universal.

We do "other" vacations also that have nothing to do with WDW or DVC....so maybe that is something that you might want to try, if you already don't? Try mixing it up some!

Bobbi

I understand what your saying,but this is exactly why I plan on doing disney every 18 months . First money .. Second so every time we go there ,we have something new to do. Third what I plan on doing every time we go down there is add something else then disney.. Like april we will be spending the first 3-5 days at universal.. Other times I plan on adding other things such as kennedy space, bush gardens and so on. I bought in on disney to basically give my family a place to get away from school ,work and so on.

Uh, yes! We all still get really excited. Maybe it's time that you found more non-park things to do... like golf & tennis & boating & Seaworld & Universal... do something different during your trip. If we were to go exclusively to the parks & not do the non-park things it probably wouldn't be as exciting as it is!

We're a "close to being" retired couple, and yes, we still get thrilled to think we have a Disney trip coming up. Now, we're just newbies, less than 1 year in DVC, and I've invited or have it on paper to invite many people, just to share the fun. But, we really bought to have a special place to celebrate my mom's 85th birthday, that's coming up this December, and we had to borrow lots of points for that celebration, then we bought Vero points, and I've invited a very special friend and family to join us there for a short trip next May, and then more family for next August, and December. Once the newness wears off, DH and I will go down for a week or longer trip, we have never been to WDW longer than a 5 night stay, and this goes back to 1977. So far, for us in DVC a 4 night stay at Vero in March has been our longest at a DVC resort, and we were alone!

I think we will always go in December, before Christmas just to see the Candlelight Processional. We like MVMCP, MNSSHP, the special tours, and the Flower Festival.

I have to balance my desire to see people and share what we have, with DH's and also my own desire to have trips alone, I think we have enough points for now, and I'll get the right mix soon.

Maybe having empty nests has something to do with it, but I've had a strong desire to be with friends/family from our past, who were good friends, but our and their own children and families prevented us from getting together as much as we would have liked to, as the kids were growing. Seeing these friends and cousins now in a non-stressful place has been like "coming home" back to who we were before, way back then. Our Cape May home serves this function as well.

It isn't just the parks and the rides, it's the place, the atmosphere, and now for us, having a resort that's a "home." I still enjoy seeing Cinderella bend down to talk one-on-one with a child who clearly is thrilled. Yup, I buy into the whole MAGICAL experience.

Bobbi:boat:

PS. Have safe and wonderful trips all you lucky ones with countdowns that are close to 0 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter