Do you really want to go back to WDW so soon?

pinnocchiosdad

DIS Veteran
I see so many posts speculating on when Disney parks and resorts will reopen. The boards ares loaded with posts of members wondering if they will be able to make there May and June trips. First of all, many are highly disappointed that they had to cancel trips, many are disappointed that they may lose points. When will Disney reopen is the question we seek the answer to every day. But...........

Do you really want to travel to Disney as soon as you are allowed to? At heart we all do, but in the name of safety and practicality how good of an idea is that. The President is itching to reopen the country. His Easter projection is now April 30th. When they wave the green flag and the country reopens, that does not mean the pandemic is over and it is safe to travel. Covid19 will be with us for a long time.

Food for thought. Do you want to be on a plane rebreathing everyone's else's air for hours? What about standing in lines next to people who may be infected and having them cough on your back. Do you want to get on a ride and sit in a seat that an infected person was just sitting in?

This isn't meant to sound like gloom and doom. But so many including my family are itching to get back to the parks. But just be mindful that just because the parks reopen, it doesnt mean its safe to be there. The last thing you want to do is rebook a trip and then have to cancel again possibly losing points if you are outside of a window.

By the way I am a healthcare provider directly treating covid19 patients. This is real. Stay home and be safe, when you can return be careful.

I agree and thank you for your service!

I had been hoping to book for December/January but I am not sure Disney will be open nor if my family would be willing to take the chance. DH is already quarantined in the basement since he's the only one going to work. Hopefully I'll be ready to let him have full run of the house and come back to our bed by then :o I was hoping for all my kids and grandkids to be on the next trip, but we are not even able to be together at someone's home, yet. :sad:

I also am wondering how they will clean rooms and whether there should be a day or so between groups checking in so that they can disinfect. We all know too well that some people have gotten sick at Disney. My family always went in with disinfectant wipes for light switches, tv remotes, etc., but Disney may need to think about this, now, too.

Going by how many people jammed into Main Street for the last firework show before the closure, yes, I think there will be many, many people who will flock back immediately. My husband disagrees. He thinks people will be cautious. I think he's being naive considering how many people still aren't being cautious right now. I think those people will be fine and dandy with the idea of returning the second that they are able to do so.

But, to answer the OP, will *I* be heading back right away? No, I will not. And that is why right now I am already bracing myself to cancel our trip at the end of the summer despite the other members of my family all having their heads in the sand about it. :( And that's not a choice I make lightly, as this is both a milestone anniversary trip for DH & I as well as the last time we can be assured that our one son will be able to go with us, as he will be a senior next year. Meaning we definitely won't take him out of school to go, and by next summer there's a very good chance he'll have other things going on, either college or work related that could prevent him from coming along. So I'm sad to think that we've already had our last trip together with him still being a "kid", without me knowing it. But I won't risk any of us, especially DH & I who happen to both be asthmatics, to cram in a trip this year if things still seem problematic, which I think they likely will. :(

To answer your questions, yes. Yes, i do want to be out and about doing what I am accustomed to doing, as soon as I am legally able to. I can take precautions such as sanitizing my hands and avoiding touching my eyes and mouth. Waiting until this is 'over' will mean being locked up at home until next year. If we all do that, there won't be much left for us to emerge into!!

I do not but perhaps this will change. Such dire times but I like reading about others excitement around these parts. It is starting to ring hollow though when it feels like some are simply interested in selling me a vacation. Such is business though, I get their current struggles.

I have finally realized I will NOT be going to WDW 5/21:-(

Since I believe they will put my borrowed points back into original use year?
I will Not be rescheduling for the fall!!

Hopefully they will refund the Military Salute tickets. Seems pretty messed up the military of all people wouldn’t get a refund!
Btw I am not military I was meeting my BFF there who is.

We had character meals planned every day for her DS5. Will they even have photos and hugs with characters?

I don’t think Wdw or anything will be the same for a very long time :-(

stay safe my fellow dis’ers
Kerri

By the way I am a healthcare provider directly treating covid19 patients. This is real. Stay home and be safe, when you can return be careful.

First, thanks so much for people like you. I just go to the grocery store and get the c***p scared out of me.

I so agree with you. I have reservations in September, and I'm not sure I feel comfortable going then. Just the thought of all those crowded WDW buses, closeness on rides, etc. Perhaps I'd be OK with a resorts-only trip. Fortunately my resort reservation is at AKL-Jambo and there's plenty to do there. But the airplane trip is an issue. Got a few months before I need to decide between then and January (fortunately I was able to make a reservation for January, just in case).

I am a sports fan, so until the medical experts in the US give the green light to allow leagues to pack the stadiums/arenas, I won't go anywhere a crowd is expected, including theme parks.

LAX

My trip is end of June and my hope is that the resorts will at least be open.

I will make a decision much closer but that is almost 3 months away and by then, so much will Have changed and I’m hopeful it will be for the better to allow WDW to open Safely

I see so many posts speculating on when Disney parks and resorts will reopen. The boards ares loaded with posts of members wondering if they will be able to make there May and June trips. First of all, many are highly disappointed that they had to cancel trips, many are disappointed that they may lose points. When will Disney reopen is the question we seek the answer to every day. But...........

Do you really want to travel to Disney as soon as you are allowed to? At heart we all do, but in the name of safety and practicality how good of an idea is that. The President is itching to reopen the country. His Easter projection is now April 30th. When they wave the green flag and the country reopens, that does not mean the pandemic is over and it is safe to travel. Covid19 will be with us for a long time.

Food for thought. Do you want to be on a plane rebreathing everyone's else's air for hours? What about standing in lines next to people who may be infected and having them cough on your back. Do you want to get on a ride and sit in a seat that an infected person was just sitting in?

This isn't meant to sound like gloom and doom. But so many including my family are itching to get back to the parks. But just be mindful that just because the parks reopen, it doesnt mean its safe to be there. The last thing you want to do is rebook a trip and then have to cancel again possibly losing points if you are outside of a window.

Going by how many people jammed into Main Street for the last firework show before the closure, yes, I think there will be many, many people who will flock back immediately. My husband disagrees. He thinks people will be cautious. I think he's being naive considering how many people still aren't being cautious right now. I think those people will be fine and dandy with the idea of returning the second that they are able to do so.

But, to answer the OP, will *I* be heading back right away? No, I will not. And that is why right now I am already bracing myself to cancel our trip at the end of the summer despite the other members of my family all having their heads in the sand about it. :( And that's not a choice I make lightly, as this is both a milestone anniversary trip for DH & I as well as the last time we can be assured that our one son will be able to go with us, as he will be a senior next year. Meaning we definitely won't take him out of school to go, and by next summer there's a very good chance he'll have other things going on, either college or work related that could prevent him from coming along. So I'm sad to think that we've already had our last trip together with him still being a "kid", without me knowing it. But I won't risk any of us, especially DH & I who happen to both be asthmatics, to cram in a trip this year if things still seem problematic, which I think they likely will. :(
I think you are being very responsible. I know it's sad when you realize what you're missing , but it's not worth taking a risk . Maybe in the years to come , you will have other Disney trips that you, your husband and maybe your son and future family will be able to do together. 🌷

My DH and I will probably cancel our November WDW trip and rebook for next November. I think it will take me that long to want to get on a plane or be in a crowded place like WDW. I'm pretty bummed since it was going to be my first trip after retirement and our first trip with an AP. But I'm not bummed enough to want to risk our health. We have a HHI trip booked for October. I might feel better about going on this trip since we will drive and it's not as crowded, but we will make that decision closer to time. We will be booking another HHI trip for next March as a back-up just in case the October trip doesn't happen.

We won’t be going to Disney for a while. Just seeing how people act at the grocery store - not following the social distancing rule, coughing and not covering their mouths, etc. makes me sure that that I don’t want to be in a big crowd for months.

We are supposed to be on a Disney cruise in less than 6 weeks, followed by a Disney stay. We have already cancelled the disney part and just waiting on DCL to cancel the cruise. There is no chance in he## that we would get on a cruise ship in 40 days.

We have December and January trips currently reserved. They will both be cancelled and we will not be visiting FL until a vaccine is available. Both daughters are nurses and one actually quit her job when she saw Covid coming, as she has 2 special needs kids that would literally die without her. With such extreme circumstances in our family, there’s no way I’d risk bringing something home from WDW that would kill them. Everyone will have different reasons for cancelling trips, but there is no way I’d be going anytime soon!

We cancelled our july 18th trip and we were going there for 3 weeks, but honestly this year I don´t want to take any vacations... We´ve been 3 weeks of lockdown in Spain, and another 3 are coming, and these won´t be the last ones. Time to plan for july 2021!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter