Do you really want to go back to WDW so soon?

We cancelled our july 18th and we were going there for 3 weeks, but honestly this year I don´t want to take any vacations... We´ve been 3 weeks of lockdown in Spain, and another 3 are coming, and these won´t be the last ones. Time to plan for july 2021!
Stay safe and well.

Starting week 4 of being confined to home with the kids (no lockdown, but 90% of the country shut down) -- we cancelled our Disney/Universal trip about 10 days before parks closed. We *knew* airports and parks and hotels were the wrong places to be. And away from home.

How soon will we resume travel? I say probably not before next winter, and/or a vaccine is available. It will take me a long time to be convinced Disney etc are safe. And I think we will see the same thing happening on smaller scales in theaters, rallies, malls, concerts etc. -- "normal" crowds will not resume for a while.

I went to the grocery store among the masses yesterday. I wore a mask and gloves. I’d do that at Disney. Doesn’t make for great pictures, but, whatever.
Maybe it does make for great, weird, post-apocalyptic pictures.

We have a trip in late August to go to the Halloween party and already had the dessert party booked which will keep us out of the crowds during fireworks. I'm optimistic that we will be able to head down to FL but do have a 3 hour direct flight to consider. My hubs is cautioning me not to keep my hopes up because we might have to cancel if things still look dire. The only one I would be worried about would be my son who will be around 9 months around then. I plan on sanitizing our hands often which we do anyways in Disney and wearing masks if necessary. Wiping everything down in our room the moment we get in.

I changed our cancelled March trip to this October but still having second thoughts. I can tell you though that DVC seems to be fully booked in Oct 2020.

As a nurse practitioner who has been treating COVID-19 patients since the first cases emerged in Florida. Yes, I will be going back to WDW in December as we have had planned since last year (assuming they are open).

Thank you for your hard work! How has it been in your area?

Do you really think that Disney will reopen the parks if there's still a chance the coronavirus could spread there? I don't think they will, because they'd hardly like to be the source of thousands of infections and maybe hundreds of deaths.

So in a way this discussion is irrelevant. The "yes, sure, I'll go back and I'll just be careful" idea is moot. And if you think hand sanitizer, washing your hands, and wearing a mask will be enough to protect you, think again. Unless there's utterly no one at the parks--in which case they'll close them again since they can't afford to be open with 100x the CMs as guests--you won't be able to avoid other people. I live in hard-hit NYC and even here, there are oblivious people, despite all the restrictions, all the news, and all the sickness and death.

So if WDW would open while people are still contagious, for sure there'd be plenty of WDW guests who wouldn't be careful or even aware of what they were doing. And, btw, for those of you who don't realize this, the infection is spread not just by people who're ill but also by asymptomatic people. So just because the person near you isn't coughing or sneezing, it doesn't mean you're safe from catching this.

I want to go back to WDW as much or more than any of you do. And with everything that's going on, I really need Disney more than ever. But I don't need it enough to risk my life--or the life of others--by going there.

Yes, we want to live. Please open up Disney now!!!! We are healthy and not afraid of what amounts to an upper respiratory infection. We think we have probably already been exposed anyway and if not, we want to be in order to gain the immunity. We have talked to our doctor about this btw and he even has on his website that it is a cold virus and that in the vast majority of people who have any symptoms at all, it presents itself as a mild upper respiratory infection. If you look at the numbers of people who have died, he is right. Less people have died in Italy than died in a heat wave in 2016. 18,000 people died in Italy in a heat wave in 2016. The media and some in government are blowing this virus way out of proportion. Look at the actual numbers and compare them to how many people die on a regular basis of other things. Do your own research. It isn’t easy to find all these numbers because they don’t want you to realize how minor this thing is. But they are out there.

Do you really want to travel to Disney as soon as you are allowed to?
I've been thinking about this, and right this second, I'm inclined to avoid densely crowded activities (for me: theme parks, live sports, and running races) until there is a widely available vaccine. That doesn't mean I won't be willing to travel, but my travel is more likely to be outdoor-oriented (hiking, etc.) for the next year plus while we wait. I can imagine flying, but not until there is much more widespread testing and contact-tracing in place.

The next two trips we had planned before all this came down were a mid-may DCL cruise, and a mid-June trip to Ventura, CA and Channel Islands NP. The cruise is definitely a no-go; we are just waiting as long as we can for Disney to cancel it so that we can get a refund instead of a credit; same with Delta for the flights. The California trip doesn't have flights attached and can be canceled last-minute without penalty, so there is no hurry to decide on that one. But, I suspect we won't take it.

The next one after that is a two week stay on Kauai for the December holidays and NYE. That one is too far in the future for me to think about just now.

I may try to get a drive-to destination for later this summer. I am in SE Michigan, so maybe up north or Wisconsin in August if I can pull it off.

Wdw will not open until it’s fairly safe to go. WDW closed before they had to. Sure there will be risks like always. I might die from a car accident going to the airport. Maybe My plane will crash. Maybe the magical express bus won’t be so magical and crashes and bursts into flames. Maybe a maniac kills 50 people at a park maybe I’m one of them. Maybe I die from a heart attack o a ride. Maybe I die from the virus.

Well we plan on driving so not as concerned about flying. But we also aren't planning on going until next year anyway. I am waiting on more data though and willing to cancel if things look bleak several months or more from now though. Too many unknowns right now. I would be skeptical about going in the near term though.

We go in OCT and if WDW is not opened by July I will most likely cancel trip. Not chancing anything with the crowds.

We aren't scheduled until Feb 2021. I am really hoping that things are settled enough by then that it will be safe to go. I am also expecting Disney to do the Disney Merchandising thing and Facemasks to become the new Mouse Ears.

I think the issue with all of the people looking to judge someone else's plans is, everyone's situation is completely different. Someone who is not high risk will return to normal life quicker than someone who is high risk, and that is fine. Someone high risk will likely still need to wear a mask or other covering for a year or more until they have a vaccine or better treatment option, and that is ok. Someone who is paranoid may not want to return to normal activities ever, and that is ok. Medical personnel (I worked in hospitals for years) also see the worst of a virus and it changes their opinions and responses, and that is ok.

The thing is, we need to stop worrying about what our neighbor is doing and make decisions for ourselves and allow them to do the same thing. Our family is younger and healthier and quite frankly I am not that worried about them contracting it, that is my opinion. I would rather they get immunity that way rather than a new vaccine, again my opinion based on our circumstances. We will likely return mid june if it is open. Will it be annoying when people are bumping into you and will we wash our hands more often and avoid touching things, sure. But we are not looking to change our lives. This will not go away, just like most other diseases, we will likely see another spike, look at the stats from the Spanish Flu, once they release lockdowns it is guaranteed, but that is also the only way to get it through the population and not stay locked down for years to come.

The thing is, we need to stop worrying about what our neighbor is doing and make decisions for ourselves and allow them to do the same thing.
That's great, except that one person's actions don't only affect that person, or that person's family. They affect everyone else that that person interacts with. That's always true, of course, but it is especially true with this particular virus. I am not paying attention to these precautions because I am at risk. I'm relatively low risk. I'm paying attention to them because people around me are at risk, and I care about them as well.

That's great, except that one person's actions don't only affect that person, or that person's family. They affect everyone else that that person interacts with. That's always true, of course, but it is especially true with this particular virus. I am not paying attention to these precautions because I am at risk. I'm relatively low risk. I'm paying attention to them because people around me are at risk, and I care about them as well.

Yes, that is the great part of all of this. The "you may infect someone else" theory. While, yes it is true, but there is no way around that. Ever. And the current stay at home orders minimizes contact, but does not eliminate it. So, you can still do that today, by going to the store or to support your local restaurant and contract it as well. This does not go away, so aside from staying in lock down for years while a vaccine is developed, there is no solution to that.

Just like the flu or any other viral infection, the at risk populations must take extra precautions. The non at risk need to have awareness, but it is unreasonable to expect to have the entire population perpetually locked inside. So back on topic, I plan to go to Disney if allowed, I am not changing my plans at this time based on our circumstances, which is the point of my original post. Everyone must make their own decisions and stop demonizing someone with a different opinion.

I am doing my part of "flattening the curve" under currently guidelines, but I also understand that flattening the curve does not reduce the number of people that will be infected, it only spreads it out over a longer period of time in the hopes to save more people who will need a ventilator or some other higher level of intervention.

Those high risk are better off staying away from risky situations and allowing everyone else to catch it and build immunity. Otherwise it will linger around forever. Also, those at high risk need everyone else to pull the weight of running the country so that we remain wealthy enough to care for high risk people. Why do you think we have so many high risk people alive today? In many cases, poor countries have different death numbers because their high risk people are already dead. Sorry to be blunt, but the average person doesn’t usually survive something like kidney disease in, say, India. Also, most places are open in most parts of the country even as we speak. Even under lockdown, very few places are fully closed. So people are getting it everywhere in the USA, but most people just immediately build immunity and fight it off without even knowing they have it.

If it opens for June, I will go. If it doesn't, well, I hope something local opens, like the San Antonio zoo or the museums or something. I think everyone, everywhere will be ready to get out of the house if this drags on until June. Especially with the stress of trying to get the basics in the stores, though that is getting better, finally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter