Do you look both ways even though you have a green light?

I always do. Way too many people seem more focused on chatting on their cell phone, texting or what the latest social media post has to say instead of paying attention to their driving. I assume those other people I don't know are probably going to do something unexpected. Some people never use turn signals and even if they do, there is no guarantee they are actually planning to turn. When driving on rural roads that have a 55 mph speed limit, I always am watching for those who have NO grasp of the closing speed of other traffic and tend pull out in front of people with not nearly enough spacing. No idea if people are just too self-absorbed or clueless, but always have to be aware of the traffic around you.

Last edited:
Just watch some dash cam videos on YouTube or on reddit (r/idiotsincars, r/dashcamgifs) and you will find yourself not only looking both ways TWICE, but installing a dash cam if you don't already have one. It's not only inattentive drivers but insurance scammers.

Yes, and I pretty much always have. We were taught in drivers ed not to assume other drivers would follow the rules of the road, so if someone is coming in hot to a red I notice. You just never know.

Nowadays with traffic enforcement pretty much non existent, the roadways have gotten crazy. I've gotten honked at a few times when I've hesitated at a green light.

Always. And this reminded me of something I heard years ago and that is funny, but true:

Definition of a New Yorker: Someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.

Yes, I do that too.

Yes. I know too many people who've been t-boned at intersections when they had the right of way, and I trust nooooooo oneeeeeee.

If you've ever seen anyone run a red light, you'll look both ways on green.

I do now...

I was in an accident in a parking lot a few years ago. Another driver ran a stop sign (I did not have a stop sign), and I t-boned her. I was going slow (it was a parking lot after all), but it still did some damage to her car. We were both ok, but after that I never take for granted that people follow the lights/stop signs.

I do and also both ways on one way / and once I saw Both lights turn green for both directions at same time / caused a very nasty accident / I was the second car and could see both poles - very ugly - same area had one way streets / too many times people going wrong way - always look
People around here think they have Left of way - not Right of way - you can’t be too careful
They don’t just run red light - no it’s 3 or 4 cars that run them / depends on intersections - if your first car - don’t be in a hurry on green - could be dangerous and it’s not worth life long pain if you live
Be Safe everyone !!

Yup. I almost got taken out by a Prius the other day. If I hadn't checked as I was starting my turn, I would have been hit hard. Idiot just kept on driving.

Meh, I'm looking at my phone, so I don't even notice there's a traffic light...

In reality, several times a year out away from traffic early in the morning the person behind me blasts their horn at me. I just point my arm out the window of the truck barreling through their red light at 70 mph.

There's also jaywalkers with a death wish and bikes blowing through everything.

I also see a lot of drivers who seem to have the attitude that they should be offended if anyone dares turn or cross an intersection in front of them, where they won't even slow down (and may speed up) if there's anything close to a collision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter