Do you look both ways even though you have a green light?

Traffic circles just seem to replace one type of accident (head-on collisions) with another (side-swipes). While I think they are fine in rural areas with minimal traffic, on roads with a high volume of cars they make no sense. If there is a constant stream of cars coming from your left, the only way to join the traffic circle is to make a dive for any tiny opening between cars. Aggressive drivers always act like they have the right of way in traffic circles and you have to plan accordingly.

Yes!!! Memphis TN has the absolute worst drivers (and we've lived in multiple large cities). Heck I put my life at risk just crossing the street at work walking from one campus building to another. No one looks. They drive too fast, and are too distracted. Stop signs, stop lights, and pedestrians are all optional to stop for. Speed limits are also suggestions.

They need to get rid of the signalized intersections and install more roundabouts.
You wouldn’t think so if you saw them in our city. Quite frankly, the multi-lane ones are chaos. I know the “rules” of them; not everyone does, and even so approach every one just hoping nobody does anything stupid.

As for the question, it’s second nature so I had to think about it for a minute. Yes, if I’m at a red that turns green I make sure the coast is clear before proceeding. If I’m following traffic through a green then no, I just drive.

You wouldn’t think so if you saw them in our city. Quite frankly, the multi-lane ones are chaos. I know the “rules” of them; not everyone does, and even so approach every one just hoping nobody does anything stupid.

As for the question, it’s second nature so I had to think about it for a minute. Yes, if I’m at a red that turns green I make sure the coast is clear before proceeding. If I’m following traffic through a green then no, I just drive.
Roundabout can virtually eliminate serious T-bone accidents like you get when drivers run red lights. Roundabouts still have crashes but they are less serious side swipe accidents. Carmel, IN likes roundabouts so much they are getting rid of most signalized intersections in the city.

I'm willing to say here, for the public record, exclusively here on the DIS Boards, that most of these vehicles driven by those who don't bother stopping at lights, signs, and intersections are pickup trucks.

Second most likely, skanky looking compacts. There are the meth-heads-on-wheels, the rusted bangers (one featured a handwritten "Tag Applied For" cardboard license plate), the vehicles less likely to be commuting to work and more likely to be headed to the gas station to take up 15 minutes in line buying 20 different lottery tickets and a pack of off-brand smokes.

Basically if it's not phone or alcohol related, it's people that just don't care because their car is either large enough to grant the illusion of invulnerability or is an uninsured junkheap.

Traffic circles just seem to replace one type of accident (head-on collisions) with another (side-swipes). While I think they are fine in rural areas with minimal traffic, on roads with a high volume of cars they make no sense. If there is a constant stream of cars coming from your left, the only way to join the traffic circle is to make a dive for any tiny opening between cars. Aggressive drivers always act like they have the right of way in traffic circles and you have to plan accordingly.
Before Covid, our family took a month-long road trip in the UK. My DH drove and once he learned how the navigate the roundabouts he for the most part, felt very safe using them. Our city is putting them in and I wish they'd put in more, especially at the 6-way stop light that takes forever.

Looking both ways saved me from getting t-boned by a women in an SUV who was speeding while talking on her cell phone.

YES...

I live in Winter Garden... Between the tourist, and the snow birds... You better look if you want to stay alive...

Yes, I always look in all directions, and if the light turns green and I'm the first car in line, I wait a couple seconds to make sure the people going the other way aren't running their red light.
Yesterday a young man in our town ran a red light and drove his SUV under the back of a flatbed trailer filled with steel beams. He died in a Firey crash and that truck driver is going to have to live the rest of his life with the memory of that accident, I don't want to be involved in something like that, even if I'm completely innocent.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter