Do you have Native American/Indigenous ancestry?

Do you have Native American/Indigenous ancestry?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Never looked into it

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I’m going to look into it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t know enough family history

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I was told so but found out it wasn’t true

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I have been told so but have not confirmed it

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I was surprised to find out I do

• I know very little

• Total voters
I haven't read through the whole thread so if it's already been answered, please forgive me.
I was under the impression that many of the tribes of North America didn't participate in DNA collection. Apparently it had something to do with mixing of the tribes and therefore DNA, as well as tribal members not always being of Indian blood. Meaning if someone mixed or even white/brown/black/whatever was brought into a tribe, they were a member regardless of bloodline. Being "made" a tribal member was as much a spiritual and technical membership as a blood line would be.
Anyway, that is how I understand the lack of DNA samples in the database.
That's interesting. I don't know the answer but I'd like to know it.

My DH, our children, his siblings, nieces and nephews, etc... are on the Cherokee roll. They all have their "blue" cards. They all got Cherokee Covid relief payments. His first cousin has lived his whole life on the reservation. They know who signed the Dawes roll and what clan they descended from. Yet when DH and DD did DNA tests, she was 0% Indigenous and DH was 2%. Now Cherokee doesn't require a blood quantum but it seems that it would at least show up.

Yes. Great, great grandmother was full Creek Indian. There was a huge creek Indian settlement close to where my ancestors lived. Guess they inter married. My uncle owns some of the Creek land now. We have found the most interesting artifacts there.

But, ancestry.com says I have 0% native dna. Maybe it just went away over time.

That's interesting. I don't know the answer but I'd like to know it.

My DH, our children, his siblings, nieces and nephews, etc... are on the Cherokee roll. They all have their "blue" cards. They all got Cherokee Covid relief payments. His first cousin has lived his whole life on the reservation. They know who signed the Dawes roll and what clan they descended from. Yet when DH and DD did DNA tests, she was 0% Indigenous and DH was 2%. Now Cherokee doesn't require a blood quantum but it seems that it would at least show up.
I don't know the why, which is why I posted, but I do know many of the tribes have been reluctant to participate in any of the DNA collection/database services.

I don't know the why, which is why I posted, but I do know many of the tribes have been reluctant to participate in any of the DNA collection/database services.
I pretty sure all countries in the future will make it impossible not to have all citizens/legal residents have their DNA in some global database. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s where I see the world going. I believe Germany does that already to some degree. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I pretty sure all countries in the future will make it impossible not to have all citizens/legal residents have their DNA in some global database. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s where I see the world going. I believe Germany does that already to some degree. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Maybe, but remember, tribes are their own nation and have their own rules and laws. They are a nation within a nation.

But they have American citizenship too.
Indeed. I was just going back to your requirement of everyone eventually having to be part of a DNA database as time goes on. I can see how that wouldn't be the case in all circumstances.
As far as do I have any native blood? Don't really know. Never got that far in my research. That being said, I didn't know some of my people where imported from Germany to fight on behalf of the British against the Colonials. Learn something new every day! Have my ancestors been in America and moved around enough to mix with native blood? Sure, just haven't dug deep enough to prove anything one way or another.

Indeed. I was just going back to your requirement of everyone eventually having to be part of a DNA database as time goes on. I can see how that wouldn't be the case in all circumstances.
As far as do I have any native blood? Don't really know. Never got that far in my research. That being said, I didn't know some of my people where imported from Germany to fight on behalf of the British against the Colonials. Learn something new every day! Have my ancestors been in America and moved around enough to mix with native blood? Sure, just haven't dug deep enough to prove anything one way or another.
I’m glad the thread is helping in your research. Have the books on the hessians been an enjoyable read?

I’m glad the thread is helping in your research. Have the books on the hessians been an enjoyable read?
Actually they have. I have learned a lot that we were never taught in high school history (obviously). I'm sure if I looked hard enough it wouldn't have been that hard to find, but reading about troop movements and such, along with maps has been pretty enlightening. Thanks for the heads up!

Actually they have. I have learned a lot that we were never taught in high school history (obviously). I'm sure if I looked hard enough it wouldn't have been that hard to find, but reading about troop movements and such, along with maps has been pretty enlightening. Thanks for the heads up!
The American view on hessians has changed in the last 250 years, as has the information on their history and perspective on the war. The ones that stayed post war became outstanding individuals in our society who helped make our nation even greater (and brought sauerkraut recipes with them).

The American view on hessians has changed in the last 250 years, as has the information on their history and perspective on the war. The ones that stayed post war became outstanding individuals in our society who helped make our nation even greater (and brought sauerkraut recipes with them).
And we were all Masons as well. Go figure.

I'm part Osage Indian and Viking and part Northern European. The Viking part gave me (genetically) my Alpha 1 lung disease that apparently they can trace back to one family unit.....whatever

Yes. Both DNA and paper records show some indigenous heritage; likely Mi'kmaq (Acadian family) but there's also a a chance of Maliseet.

I have a question about Native American documentation on census records. On federal census records, how are people of Native American decent identified pre 1950?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter