Do you have a fear of flying? If so, how did you conquer it (or have you)?

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
Is a fear of flying standing between you and the Mouse?

This thread was inspired by cottontail's comments on another thread. Deb, since you posted about it, I'm assuming you don't mind that I quote you here. :)

"Congrats to all those heading down to wdw. I wish I could, tried to get hubby to drive, but he replied if you will fly he would go. Wish I could fly, but I just can't ever see myself doing it, I sure wish I could fly with no anxiety problems."

I use to dread flying, still nervous about it to a certain extent, but thanks to my sympathetic family physician, I can get on a plane and at least appear to be perfectly calm. ;)

Books didn't do it for me, and all the rational arguments in the world about how safe flying is compared to driving, didn't help either.

I finally went to see my doctor and explained to him how fearful I was. He prescribed a mild anti-anxiety medication, and it's made all the difference in the world!! :)

I take a pill when I get to the airport, and another one a half hour or so before boarding. They usually make me a bit sleepy and I can nap on the flight. No problems shaking that off when it's time to land. I even request a window seat now!! :)

Five years ago I could never of imagined flying down to WDW on my own, but thanks to my doctor, I even have an Aeroplan card!! ;) :)

If your fear of flying is standing in the way of quick trips to WDW, or anywhere in the world, consider making an appt. to see your doctor! :)

How did you get over your fear of flying? :flower3:

I was scared before I got on my first flight. But it was so exciting that I don't get scared now. I LOVE looking out the window, especially at night. The lights are so pretty.

I absolutley hate to fly but coming from just north of Toronto it takes anywhere from 21 - 24 hours to drive.....or drive to Buffalo and fly from there for less then half of what it costs to fly out of Pearson and be in Orlando Airport in 2 hours.....that is the only reason I have flown. :flower1:

I hate flying but I love travelling more, lol.

I think most people have abit of anxiety if they don't fly alot. I really conquered mine this year when I took on a project at work and I've had to fly to Ottawa from MB (connecting through TO most of the time) several times this year, as well as we went to both Cuba and the DR this year. Feel like I live on planes, now I hate them because they are boring and not scarey lol.

On my first few flights, I took Lorazipam (sp?) precribed by my doctor...they helped alot. Its probably similar to what you tried, Snowwark.

I did want to mention that my friends DH is sooooooooo bad that they actually knock him out. They literally drag him to the airport, give him the pills, half carry him into the plane and wake him up when they arrive, lol. He is all for this as he loves vacationing and its the only way he'll go on a plane. The airlines need advance notice when you are doing this though, lol...I believe they have a doctors note explaining the situation. Very extreme but it works for them.

I have a terrible fear of flying but I'm not letting it stop me from travelling to Disney :jumping4: by other means of transportation. I've taken a direct charter bus, Amtrak train, car, and greyhound bus (and I wish there was some sort of cruise from the St-Lawrence (or NYC) down the Eastern Coast to Cape Canaveral.

I've flown twice as a child, once in my early 20's and then tried again 2 years ago. I've decided I'm not going to put myself through it again until I'm much, much older and enjoying my retirement (have big travel plans)

Actually once I'm at the airport and on the plane I'm no longer anxious/afraid because I've pretty much resigned myself that I'm about to die :blush:

My problem is the months and weeks leading up to the flight where I become obssessed/anxious/consumed/dreading/stressed-out/guilty because I am so sure the plane will go down :guilty: :earseek: :guilty: . The last trip I took with my DS and I felt awful and guilty for the months leading up to the trip as I felt I was leading my child to his demise. Of course, I spent the whole week I was at Disney freaking out about the plane trip back home.

And yes, I'm fully aware that flying is a very safe form of travel and that it's a lot more risky to spend 24 hours on the 1-95.

I can't say that I am really afraid to fly, but since 911 I will admit to being a bit more aprehensive. I guess that my belief that when it's your time, it's your time and nothing will change that, has helped.

Hi Kim, I don't mind you using my fear of flying comments.

I do think that I would be like Sandy 22, if I was ever to get into a plane, I would probably drive everyone with me nuts thinking about the flight home. I like the idea of being knocked out for the flight, kinda like an operation of sorts, lol. But keep the suggestions coming.

Hey if I could get over this flying thing I could go to las vegas, hawaii, cuba etc. all of the places I have ever wanted to go.

Kim power to you, being afraid to fly and now you fly all alone, wow, I am impressed.

Deb.

I'm ok...but take off is the worst for me...

Although, since traveling with the kids, I have to be brave..so I try REALLY hard not to say the Hail Mary's out loud!!LOL!

:sunny:

Sandyincanada said:
I hate flying but I love travelling more, lol.

On my first few flights, I took Lorazipam (sp?) precribed by my doctor...they helped alot. Its probably similar to what you tried, Snowwark.

I did want to mention that my friends DH is sooooooooo bad that they actually knock him out. They literally drag him to the airport, give him the pills, half carry him into the plane and wake him up when they arrive, lol. He is all for this as he loves vacationing and its the only way he'll go on a plane. The airlines need advance notice when you are doing this though, lol...I believe they have a doctors note explaining the situation. Very extreme but it works for them.

I take Clonazepam. It works for me! I refer to them as my quiet pills. ;)

Wow, what an extreme scenario for your friend, Sandy!!!

Peggy, my first solo flight was the December following 9/11. I was thinking it was probably the safest time to fly, due to the increased vigilance.

Oh Deb, talk things over with your doctor. They can help, and before you know it, you'll be flying to and fro! On a plane, of course! ;) :) I just feel badly that your apprehension is stopping you from going to the places you'd like to visit.
:hug:

Sandy22, I was the same way. All kinds of bad dreams about flying, worrying about it until I was almost hyper-ventilating. With each flight, that apprehension has lessened.

mbb, how weird is that, the take-off is now my favourite part! :)

I'm not trying to strongarm anyone into taking drugs (honest! ;)), but I do know that help is out there, and it can make a HUGE difference. :) All it takes is a phone call....

Kim

Ok, here is my problem. I am not a stress free flyer. I do worry but I figure once I'm on the plane things are out of my control and if something happens it is out of my hands.

It's my 'boys'! My DH, DS (16) and DS (12). Since 9/11 they refuse to listen to any arguments / discussions regarding flying. DS (16) was on a plane twice - once when I was 5 months pregnant with him (does this count?) and again when he was 18 months. DS (12) has never been on a plane. DH is a big chicken and hates flying but I was able to get him to Florida twice and Cancun (valium induced - 4 hour flight) once.

DH is talking about doing some things around the house this summer. I have already told him we are heading to Florida - but "the drive is so long" he whines. "So let's fly" I repond.

Immediately there is a chorus of "no way, forget it, are you insane!"

Come heck or high water we are going and I guess we will be driving but I wish I knew how to talk them out of this fear!

:moped:

Wow, MommaBear, sounds like you've been out voted!!

I don't know what you're supposed to do when you've got the whole family against the idea of flying.....

Oh wait!! Here's a thought, tell them you'll meet them down there!! :idea:

Just think of it. You fly down solo, enjoy a few days at the parks doing the things that you want to do, no compromising, just cruising around at your own speed. They can meet up with you when they get there! :)

What do you think? ;) :)

I would love to fly by myself but I would spend the rest of my time worrying about them driving down. DH would be the only driver since DS(16) just got his G1 and I don't think they allow him to drive in the States. Also they would be coming down with our 2 babies (toy poodles) Angel who will be 2 in June her baby sister who will be 6 months old on our trip but is not expected to be born until end of this month.

Anyway I worry to much about them and don't want hubby to do all the driving. See I need to be in control!

One day I will put all 3 into a drug induced coma and load them on a plane!

:earseek:

I absolutly HATE flying. Once we are in the air I am fine, its the taking off and the landing that scares the CRAP out of me. I DO NOT let it stop me from going to my FAVORITE place in the world though!!!

I bring my rosary beads and pray on take off and landing and put on a brave front for my two little ones.

Once I flew alone to Florida to visit my Grandparents and I must of looked very nervous because the 95 yr old lady next to me asked me if I was ok and asked if I wanted her to hold my hand.:laughing:

Its so nice to know I am not alone,

3mickeys&me said:
I absolutly HATE flying. Once we are in the air I am fine, its the taking off and the landing that scares the CRAP out of me. I DO NOT let it stop me from going to my FAVORITE place in the world though!!!

I bring my rosary beads and pray on take off and landing and put on a brave front for my two little ones.

Once I flew alone to Florida to visit my Grandparents and I must of looked very nervous because the 95 yr old lady next to me asked me if I was ok and asked if I wanted her to hold my hand.:laughing:

Its so nice to know I am not alone,

What a sweet lady, 3mickeys&me!!! :teeth: LOL!!

Good for you, facing your fear, and flying right into it!! :)

I always have to tap on the outside of the plane, just before I enter it. Not too hard though, I don't want to loosen any bolts or anything!!!! So far, it's worked!! ;) :)

MommaBear, maybe a few years from now, when DS is older, and the puppies more mature, you can try going down alone, and meeting up with them. :)

I used to not mind flying at all, I used to LOVE it, but over the past few years I've developed anxiety/panic attacks. I'm not anxious about the flight (and whatever else sets off an attack) but it seems to be a catalyst that causes me to have a panic attack. I get stange body tremors, cold sweats, tummy problems and horrible ideas in my head. My first one the doctors though I was having a mini stroke because I couldn't talk properly. Now I always think I'm having a heart attack and I'm 25 y/o! I have lorazepam which I've tried once, but it didn't knock me out, only made me fade in and out which scared me too.
The only thing for flying that has seemed to help me has been a couple of graval. One when I leave the house and one half at the airport. I think because I feel comfortable because I'm familiar with good ol' graval.
Sorry guys I went off on a tangant, and wrote too much information, but if anyone else has panic attacks like this please let me know if anything works for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter