Do you get in shape for the 'world?

ravenscroft1999

you can call me "thurl" if you like
Howdy, all! I started walking about a month ago. It's mostly for my health and sugar regulation(type 2 diabetes) but I confess to an an ulterior motive. I want to get in shape so I can enjoy as much of the magic as possible. Some of the guides recommend walking to get ready, sooo... how many of you out there walk or excersize to get ready for disney?(you marathoners don't count):teeth: I'm up to 2 1/2 miles and hope to be up to 4 or 5 by the time we go.

R1999

I consider myself in shape anyway, but last year when we went, my MIL and my mother came with us. Both said that they wished that they had started a walking program a month prior to the trip. We are going next May and if my mom comes with us, I will be reminding her a month ahead to start walking!!! LOL

I normally walk 3-5 miles a day. Next week I will start doing more laps around our neighborhood. I hope to get up to 8 or 9 miles. :thumbsup2

I think you are on the right track. Walk Walk Walk. That's about all you can do. Strength training your calves and shin muscles might be good too...prevents injury. Make sure to stretch out your legs after you walk, too.

Last year I lost about 25 pounds that I had gained during my last pregnancy. I kept most of that off for our trip to WDW in October, but through the holidays I gained all of it back. I'm now about 5-7 lbs lighter on any given day, but am working on losing another 25-30 lbs before our trip this fall. DH and I usually walk alot on the summer, but didn't do much of that last year. As soon as the weather gets good here, we're off. We usually work up to about a 3 mile walk 4-5 days a week. I can't wait! Even though I'm not really a heavy person, I am not at a healthy weight and its so much nicer to not be as tired when visiting the parks every day.

The only "working out" I do in preparation is I drive really fast and take sharp turns in my Jeep to "get in shape" for BTMRR, and I scarf down ice cream bars in the afternoon to "prepare" for the Mickey bars...

Slapster said:
The only "working out" I do in preparation is I drive really fast and take sharp turns in my Jeep to "get in shape" for BTMRR, and I scarf down ice cream bars in the afternoon to "prepare" for the Mickey bars...

That sounds like my kind of plan! Haha

Really, I'm going to start working out on the elliptical next week to get in shape. We are getting AP's, so maybe by next year, I'll be about 50 lbs lighter, b/t the elliptical and all of those trips to disney!

We went last september and boy was I so exhausted by the heat and the walking- I went unprepared. I am an overweight person and didn't take the walking seriously last year. For our upcoming trip at christmas time I plan on prewalking my way to health. I was actually envious of my skinny husband and 2 young sons because they weared much better than myself. This year I will be prepared though- watch out disney here I come!!!!!!!!!!

I am this time b/c I want to look good for my new husband while floating around on the lazy river in TL.

In Oct , I went w/ 4 of my gf's. We did the dining plan and ate and drank our way around the F&W festival every night. 3 of us were in good shape and maintained our weight while we were there. The other 2 girls, who are not in shape lost 5 pounds while they were there! They were not used to all of the walking! Go figure!

I started working out back in July. Then I stopped. Now I started again, my motivation is Disney!! :sunny:

By the time you get to Disney, you should be able to walk it with no problem.
I only walk one mile a day on the treadmill and last year at Disney I had no problem at all. We walked all day (with a break in the afternoon to go in the swimming pool) and ate 10 times more than we normally do and still lost weight. This year I'm not going to lose weight before I go because my summer clothes are still a little loose. Have a wonderfull time! (How could you not, you'll be at Disney!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter