• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you get a Tan in the summer

I spent many years trying to tan just to become a lobster for a few days then go back to pale pale pale.

Now, I don't even try... I wear my hat, long sleeves, sunscreen spf 100000, and straight up hide. I don't want cancer or wrinkles! :flower1:

Do a lot of driving in an open cockpit car during warm days so it just happens.

I've always tanned right through any sunscreen I put on (I guess because I'm half Italian?) I do like my Jergens tanning moisturizer though. Gives me a little color without the sun doing it. Trying to stay healthy.

I tan even though I use sunscreen. My poor daughter always says she's a 'true Canadian' because red and white are her only colours!

Nope, I'm pasty white year round. Plus, I don't spend enough time outside in the summer to get a tan. If I'm in the sun for a while I'll burn and it will fade to a tan then back to white.

My arms and face have a little color just by virtue of living where it's sunny 90% of the time. The rest of me is scary white and I burn in about 2.5 seconds. Back when it didn't seem sun blocking your kid was much of a thing. I always had awful sunburns in the summer. Never browned up, always went back to pasty white. My older DD is the same. She's only had three or four burns in her life (by her own hand) but goes right back to scary white. I sunblock up if I'm going to be outside more than ten minutes. I've been known to wear lightweight long sleeve shirts and clam diggers in 115 degree heat at music festivals.

DH always has a farmer's tan. He burns once and then browns up for the rest of the summer. (I know, I know but I got tired of begging him to use sunblock after the first decade or so.)

DS browns up right through the sunblock. Youngest DD is a lily white red head. Her skin is practically blue she is so fair. The sun would seek out and destroy if I let it. Neither has ever had a burn minus a small missed spot here and there very far and few between. Even with all that sunblock, DD has a generous amount of freckles that get darker and more plentiful in the summer.

I have the tendency to get very dark even with sunscreen! I absolutely love the outdoors, whether it be running, working in the yard, etc....I can put on sunscreen and it truly doesn't matter. I don't burn, just go straight to brown . I have an olive complexion naturally. I have no idea where it comes from, maybe the mailman, lol! I do make a point to get myself checked every year. I have had one suspicious mole in the last 20 years and had it removed.

I'm fair skinned, but I tan and it's very hard for me to get a burn and if I do, unless it's like bubbling, blistering 2nd degree burns from being in direct sun, on the water, for 15 hours straight, it turns into a tan sometime in the next 32 or so hours. I know I should try to prevent skin cancer, but there's no history of it in my family and my dermatologist said I'm low-risk. I will put on some first thing before I head out to WDW in the morning, but if I forget (I hate the way sunscreen feels in my hair - I use the spray stuff. I despise that lotion stuff.) I don't worry about it. I don't wear it hiking or working in the yard. I do always put it on if I'm going on a boat for any length of time, because why risk a burn, but that's about it.

I used to tan as a teenager and young adult. I went to tanning booths, as we were told it was 'a safe tan'. If you are in your early 50's you know what I'm talking about.

Well, that 'safe tan' helped me develop melanoma in my early 40's. I've got a few nasty chunks missing from my leg and back.

I had low vitamin D and osteopinea (sp?) because I stay out of the sun as much as possible. I have stopped the progression of both with supplements and weight-bearing exercise. But I wish I could talk to my 18 year old self and say "stay away from the tanning places!"

We spend two weeks at the beach each summer just relaxing in the sand. I use sunscreen religiously, but usually still come home with a tan.

Nope. I blame all those wonderful Scottish and Irish ancestors. Very pale skin, lots of very high SPF lotion every day, and I get just a little pinkish and freckles. That's it. No tan, ever. I take lots of vitamin D every day too.

I don't really tan. I would describe it more as going from glow in the dark to pale sometimes with a slight tint of red that fades fast.

Yep. I'm pretty much toasty tan year round, simply because I live year round on the beach in Florida. Don't get me wrong, I do wear sunscreen, mostly for the moisturizing, but the bulk of my life's activities are outside. I also grew up on the water, so from early on I was known as the little brown bear. Not to mention my years and years of tanning beds in college and throughout my 20's. I figure at 51 the damage is done, I do skin checks and watch for bad moles, and not worry about the "what ifs". Oddly, I don't have a lot of fine wrinkles on my face. I do have that crepe skin look on my chest when i cross my arms really tight though. My red-headed, fair sister did have a stage 2c malignant melanoma removed from the back of her neck 20 years ago, so I'm not unfamiliar with self checks!

I sure do. My mid-July I have a pretty good tan, from going to the beach or doing yard work without a shirt. I use sunscreen and haven't had a sunburn in over 30 years.

I tan easily. I put on sunscreen and still get a tan. Even if I burn, which is rare, it turns into a tan the next day. Strange part is that I'm relatively fair, but I just tan easily. I don't lay out and "tan", but just frpm being at the beach or outside I end up pretty brown in summer. In the winter, I'm pretty pale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter