Do we think VWL owners will get an extension on their 2042 end date?

I expect not.

Disney complied with the law and got SLAMMED for it. People felt they should not have to "opt out" but I belive Disney really has no choice. And as an OKW member the "opt out" was not a 'hardship' worthy of the WHINING and CRYING that went on.

Disney learned what they got was not worth the cost. (Heck posters were trying to stir up a class action lawsuit!)

As for me... I do not think leaving a "Liablity' to you heirs is good planning.... And a timeshare is just that. Look at the resale values... you "heirs" get a timeshare that probably won't be selling well with dues they may not be able to afford. GEE what a gift!!!

I expect not.

Disney complied with the law and got SLAMMED for it. People felt they should not have to "opt out" but I belive Disney really has no choice. And as an OKW member the "opt out" was not a 'hardship' worthy of the WHINING and CRYING that went on.

Disney learned what they got was not worth the cost. (Heck posters were trying to stir up a class action lawsuit!)

As for me... I do not think leaving a "Liablity' to you heirs is good planning.... And a timeshare is just that. Look at the resale values... you "heirs" get a timeshare that probably won't be selling well with dues they may not be able to afford. GEE what a gift!!!
What they did was fine with one exception. They do not have the authority to instill a Special Assessment for this purpose by either FL law or the POS as I read them. I'm not sure about a class action suit but I guarantee you that if I had still owned OKW, I would have challenged that aspect. I may still get my chance owning BWV. I do realize they were in a catch 22 situation because the length of ownership is tied to the ground lease. They backed themselves into a corner I believe. What they should have done, and easily could have done I believe, was hold the deeds in trust rather than the legal deed route. That way they didn't need a new deed each time and they just charge an internal fee to change the registration. It also would have shifted more rights to Disney and away from the member, something I'm sure Disney would have been very OK with given their track record.

You made some interesting points, Dean, and I was hoping to ask a few clarification questions out of order from your initial statement.

One of the problems they have now is they have made their bed with the pricing for OKW. If they offer extensions at a lower level they'll likely have to go back and offer OKW the same deal including rebates for those that did extend.
This is the main point I was curious about. Why would they be required to offer the same deal and possibly a rebate? It is my understanding that each resort is an entity in itself.

If this is true, couldn't they offer extension pricing for one and not the another? For instance if they were to offer an SSR extension, wouldn't it likely be priced much lower than BCV due to the popularity and number of base points involved?

I suspect they will offer extensions at some point, they really have to given the other resorts expiring later.
I'm curious as to why. As a devil's advocate, if a low percentage of the membership purchase the extension, then DVD may not be able to move forward with a complete resort renovation should they decide it is the best course of action, which may be desired for resale or re-purposing.

...they could make it conditional on a number of things such as making unqualified points qualified or a free extension with a min add on.
This makes a lot of sense for the short term (10+ years), and could be a significant motivator for DVD to recoup additional income from the resale market. It would certain be a powerful motivator in addition to any tiered membership scale.

Thanks.

You made some interesting points, Dean, and I was hoping to ask a few clarification questions out of order from your initial statement.

This is the main point I was curious about. Why would they be required to offer the same deal and possibly a rebate? It is my understanding that each resort is an entity in itself.
Let me clarify. Not required in a legal sense but realistically they'd have far too much heat if they did it this way. Think of it like this. Say you went to buy a car and there was a rebate that started that very day of say $1000. You should have gotten it but didn't and when you found out about it, they refused to fix it. In addition it's likely they'd have legal actions which they don't want even if they know they can win.

If this is true, couldn't they offer extension pricing for one and not the another? For instance if they were to offer an SSR extension, wouldn't it likely be priced much lower than BCV due to the popularity and number of base points involved?
They could but I doubt they'll try to micromanage this way. If they were, they would not have included OKW in all likelihood. Regardless, they need numbers to participate, if done now, that means a lower price, even for BCV. Remember you're still buying a pig in a poke for something 30 years away and making a big commitment.

I'm curious as to why. As a devil's advocate, if a low percentage of the membership purchase the extension, then DVD may not be able to move forward with a complete resort renovation should they decide it is the best course of action, which may be desired for resale or re-purposing.
My thinking is this. They will still have the resorts to deal with and already have a large infrastructure. Can you imagine cutting back to 2/3 the size they were previously and keeping the management and maint fees in line, I can't. They make money on the management, more members means more money. Less members, not only means less money but a higher per capital internal cost.

Maint of the resort is separate. It's paid for by the members that own that resort. I'd be afraid if I were an OKW owners near the change over time. Fixing the resort up for life after DVC is another matter and members could not be legally required to do so but there are always ways to skirt the issues somewhat.

This makes a lot of sense for the short term (10+ years), and could be a significant motivator for DVD to recoup additional income from the resale market. It would certain be a powerful motivator in addition to any tiered membership scale.

Thanks.
They have a lot of options. IMO, DVC/DVD has left so much on the table over the years and missed many opportunities to put themselves in a better position. Of course some of that better position would have come at the cost of members in one way or another. For example, the low pressure sales techniques that so many are proud of have cost the membership a min of 3 off property resorts. (NY, CO and CA).

All just my opinion of course.

How does anyone know if they will be alive by then, I don't get this :confused3

I will be 58 if I live, I can't see that far into the future.

Tito

"Someday my Princess will come" :love:

Snow-White-Pie-small.jpg

michael-jackson-tribute-con.jpg

I am thinking more of my contracts being willed to our kids. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter