Do men run the Princess Half?

scoolover

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about going that time of year and was just wondering. I have no problem wearing a dress if that helps sell it. ;)

Numbers have increased over the 3 years...200,400,600. Appox. you can check the result for actual. They can't start n Corral A or win any awards, but do get the finisher medal.

I ran in the 2011 race, lots of guys do don skirts, tutus or even costumes and dresses. I ran as Princes Peach and will wear a costume again if I do it next year.

Well, hey there, Scott! How ya been?

yep, you can definitely run the race. No dress is required, though there were several princely princesses. I did see one guy dressed as a frog, Captain America was there, the Incredibles...

I'd like to see more men dress as a Prince or other Disney men such as Jimney Cricket or Mufasa etc.

I ran it this year, and I was not in costume. However, like a number of men running the race I was "Pacing my Princess". I don't really understand the guy who went out and won the race.

Numbers have increased over the 3 years...200,400,600. Appox. you can check the result for actual. They can't start n Corral A or win any awards, but do get the finisher medal.

I don't mind not winning awards, but having to start a corral back would annoy me.

I ran it this year, and I was not in costume. However, like a number of men running the race I was "Pacing my Princess". I don't really understand the guy who went out and won the race.

I have no idea why he would go out and win, unless he's just trying to make himself look better by winning the race, which it's not at all. And unlike you, I had no one to pace, so I went out as my own princess, got lots of positive feedback and seems like everyone I saw loved the costume and that's why I would do it again, but everyone has their own choice. I'm not encouraging dressing up, just claiming what I saw, and glad to see you had fun and someone to run with, I might try to get someone to run with next year if I run, which is leaning toward I will now.

Well, hey there, Scott! How ya been?

yep, you can definitely run the race. No dress is required, though there were several princely princesses. I did see one guy dressed as a frog, Captain America was there, the Incredibles...

Mel: I have been great. Thanks for asking. I missed you at the meet this Jan. I was there but got there late and left early. I was in time to make the picture though. I was thinking of a spring trip to watch spring training and I couldn't go without running a Disney race. Take care.

I (obviously) was not aware that a man won the race. What a *******!

My husband is planning to run with me next year, but he'll run at my pace and enjoy the race with me. He'll be there to support me- not try to break any records! He says he'll wear a tutu if it helps, but maybe we'll do something more prince like instead. ;) There were a good number of men in "regular" running attire that were running with spouses/ friends etc. and a few I saw running alone.

Mel: I have been great. Thanks for asking. I missed you at the meet this Jan. I was there but got there late and left early. I was in time to make the picture though. I was thinking of a spring trip to watch spring training and I couldn't go without running a Disney race. Take care.

I (obviously) was not aware that a man won the race. What a *******!

Chip-time, a man has won the race every year (IIRC). But men's results aren't recorded. I don't understand the problem, really - he's not getting any attention for it, and I don't think he even gets to break the tape. But should the fastest men have to handicap themselves by deliberately running slower than the fastest women?

(Actually, I don't understand the point of gender-specific races. Heck, there are scores of women-only races out there - but AFAIK, none for men only.*)

* Technically, there are a few men-only races. Olympic time trials come to mind, but not really anything beyond that.

My DH will be running with me. I love that men run it and get into the spirit. Personally, I'd rather a woman win a "womens" race and I'd be fine with there being mens only races. I'm pretty new to the whole running scene, is there much of a demand for mens only races? :confused3

I googled it- looks like a dude did cross the finish line first last year? year before? And was met with silence. Which was why they made the move to have all guys start back in B Corral.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704652104575494281497754618.html

So they may win in time, but they aren't the ones crossing the finish first. I totally support that idea. I do think it's 100% ok for women and men to have their own races- totally no issue with a male only race playing by the same rules (women can sign up, they just can't win- I get it)

but since more and more women are making up the over all race numbers, I doubt many sponsors see the point in doing male only races.

All you have to do is check the results page and they have men's and women's finish times.

Maybe change it and have a prince and princess team with DH or DBF and dress as Prince Charming and Cinderella or Ariel and Prince Eric, etc.

Or change the whole name to the Prince and Princess Half. Men, Women, we all need to exercise and stay healthy. It shouldn't be us vs. them. I just run my own race, it's a personal thing. I set a goal and go for it. I always have three time goals...1. the I'm feeling great this morning, 2. just race what I've trained for, 3. I'm not doing well this morning, give it the best I can. This year it was #3 as the doctor had already told me I shouldn't run and then I got food poisoning at lunch Sat. and was sick the rest of the day. I raced on half a banana, 6oz. of juice and 100 cal. special K bar after emptying my stomach the day before.

I just go to get to Disney and running gives me an excuse to stay in shape and go to Disney.

Let's all just have a great time and stay in shape doing it!

I am thinking about going that time of year and was just wondering. I have no problem wearing a dress if that helps sell it. ;)

Well, I recall hanging out with you in the corrals a few Goofy's ago, and feel the need to say that I would love tosee you run it in a dress. You could totally pull off the tutu/tiara combo!

(Actually, I don't understand the point of gender-specific races. Heck, there are scores of women-only races out there - but AFAIK, none for men only.*)

I think that the point of women's specific races is 100% marketing. Many women are looking for races that are geared towards them-make them feel special, etc. Obvisously there is a market for these types of races as there are more and more of them each year. In addition to the Disney Princess, there is the Nike Women's, the Run Like a Diva series, and the Women's Half Marathon series (can't remember that sponsor).

As for a men's only race, I am left wondering if there is a market for this type of race as I would suspect that if the market existed then the races would be developed. No actual knowlege but maybe the guys just don't care if the race is designed with men in mind.

I saw a few men at this Princess Half, most in terrific costumes. There was one frog running beside a Princess Tiana, and a (girl) Jasmine was running with two (boy) Aladdins -- fantastic! I also saw a couple of dudes rocking the tutu/tiara combination. I saw exactly one guy running in normal running clothes, and he looked more embarrassed than the guys in the fairy wings.

And unlike you, I had no one to pace, so I went out as my own princess, got lots of positive feedback and seems like everyone I saw loved the costume and that's why I would do it again, but everyone has their own choice. I'm not encouraging dressing up, just claiming what I saw, and glad to see you had fun and someone to run with, I might try to get someone to run with next year if I run, which is leaning toward I will now.
Dan,
Sorry, did not mean to imply there was something wrong with running in costume. I just didn't. I may next year if we can come up with a theme. According to Fairy Godmother I should be Dromedary (from Aladin) since I am there to carry the water.

There was one guy near me for part of the race wearing a belly dancer top from morocco. I also saw the a couple of frogs.

Looking forward to Princess 2012.

Mike

My running partner from the January Half ran it - and he wasn't in costume and wasn't embarrassed about it. He had a blast!

I ran this year for the first time and was surprised by how many men were running. It's for women! I don't have a problem with husbands, etc who are running to support their wives. I saw men dressed as princesses and Minnie Mouse and they were not flattering. If men want to run, that's fine but wear a prince outfit or something. We women would rather see that than some of the things we saw. Was a good laugh though:laughing::laughing::laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter