Do many members just take a loss on their holding points?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
We have 3 points in holding (this will be the first time this happened to us). We have a small trip already planned and booked before they HAVE to be used. Since i could only use these to book within 60 days of arrival, I cant see how I can ever use these unless I book a very last minute vacation. Since we are kinda new to this, what do most of you do? Or in my situation, (3 points), would you take the loss? Are there any other options other than booking a trip within 60 days?

That's the purpose of holding points. You cancelled at the last minute, so you can only book at the last minute with them. If the accommodations you already have booked are still available at 60 days, you could cancel and rebook one day with the holding points.

If I were to cancel and rebook, I am pretty sure I would lose the points for that day anyways bc the trip overlaps the start of my use year. Does that make sense? Or is there a way around this?

If your upcoming trip is within 60 days and there's availability, I'd just call MS and have them "reallocate" the holding points. I've never had it done, but my neighbor did.

If I were to cancel and rebook, I am pretty sure I would lose the points for that day anyways bc the trip overlaps the start of my use year. Does that make sense? Or is there a way around this?
Could you re-book the last day?
Nevermind; bad advice.

Last edited:
So I have an Oct UY and our trip is at the end of Sept through the first week of Oct. So the 3 points expire at the end of September. I was under the impression that any changes I want to make had to be by the end of May to bank unused points for this year. If I were to cancel and rebook, I could only do it in August (60 days before) and then, the other points would have to be used or banked by the end of September, which would even out, right?

So I have an Oct UY and our trip is at the end of Sept through the first week of Oct. So the 3 points expire at the end of September. I was under the impression that any changes I want to make had to be by the end of May to bank unused points for this year. If I were to cancel and rebook, I could only do it in August (60 days before) and then, the other points would have to be used or banked by the end of September, which would even out, right?
Yes, that's the risk of booking a reservation late in your use year. I think you're only option is to book another short-notice trip to use the 3 points, or just lose them.

My guess is that there are hundreds of thousands of points forfeited each year due to various reasons.

We have met several families who don't use their points each year, don't bank and just lets them expire.

:earsboy: Bill

I have 31 points in holding from our decision to return home early from our January trip. I'm feeling fairly confident that I'll be able to burn most of these, if not all, by booking 1-2 nights at the Grand California sometime between now and 9/30. {{ fingers crossed! }}

OP: Is there anything in the Concierge collection that you might book for a night or two w/out airfare? (Does the Concierge Collection use Holding Points?)

I had 25 points in holding from a cancelled night at VGF in May, expire 3/31. A friend needed an extra night in March, I reserved it for her last month for 19 points at AKV. So I still have 6 left. Not really concerned about it.

Have never lost a point in over 20 years of DVC, even the two times I have had holding points.

I lost 6 points many years ago (15 years of being a member). I have to check my points - might lose a few points again end of this UY. It happens.

I also knew someone (have not seen her now in a few years) who did not always use her points. She used to say it was like having a second home - you have it, you pay to maintain it but don't always get to use it.

When we bought resale last year, we had 127 points that had to be used before Dec 1st (they had been borrowed from 2014 UY to 2013 UY by previous owner). We used 122 of them, but I couldn't really come up with something to do with the other 5, so we let them expire.

Not that I would ever want to waste points, but if you only ever waste 3 points in your DVC history, it wouldn't be so bad.

Can you potentially "upgrade" your room to a better view or larger room to use those points?

I cant belive people would just let unused points expire!!!!!!!! (bigger amounts i mean lol not the few here and there!)
We did think of upgrading the room but then thought how many more points it would take on top of the 3 holding points! Thank you all for your suggestions though! I guess we will have to let them go, let them goooo

I am a new DVC member, could you give the points to someone instead of letting them expire
MadamG2U

I have 2 holding points in my June UY and will lose them (had VWL booked for F&W for 3 nights when, at last minute, BCV opened up for 2 of the nights and was 1 point less per night...so I don't mind losing them, was worth it). I had enough trouble using my 42 holding points (from canceling 1 night of our Aug trip last summer) in my Aug UY (booked 2 nights at HHI in April and it will be a pain to travel there for just 2 nights but I will do it). Been DVC members since 2006 and this was the only 2 times we changed our resies w/in the 30 day window...don't foresee doing it in the future.

I cant belive people would just let unused points expire!!!!!!!!
Yes! I personally know 2 DVC members that do this on a regular basis. My SIL's family has around 300pts. A few years ago we called them around early Dec to see if she had leftover points for us to use for a Feb vacation. She was happy to do so because she had points expiring at the end of Feb. Not sure if she forgot to bank or the banked points were expiring. She booked us a 2b at BW for a week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter