Do I really need Sea Safe for sea lice?

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
We will be going in March and there will be some snorkelling and other water adventures. Should I invest in some type of Sea Safe or sea lice prevention or would that be a waste of time, money and effort (to get the kids to use it!)?

If one were stung, are there any remedies? Or is a trip to the medical office in order?

I had a "sea lice" outbreak once on a cruise, and it was unpleasant, but not life-threatening. It was basically like a bad rash. I didn't go to the medical center. I just took some Aleve and was uncomfortable for about a day. A bad jellyfish burn could require some medical care, but I'm pretty sure Disney has nets to keep out any big jellies. "Sea lice" are microscopic jellyfish larvae, and they aren't that likely to fire their stinger against exposed skin, as I understand it. The problems come when they get stuck in between the swimsuit or swim shirt and the skin, and then die because of friction and pressure or because of showering in fresh water. So it's important if you use Safe Sea to put it under the bathing suit.

My rash was like the one in the picture in this article, but much less severe and covering a smaller area. And mine lasted for maybe 2-3 days, but was only really bad for the first day.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2016/06/sea_lice_florida_coast.html

I'm sure you could use some kind of numbing gel or cream to treat it, just like a sunburn, or that article mentions antihistamine and hydrocortisone creams. Or the Safe Sea people now have an after-sting relief treatment; that would likely work, but I've never tried it.

We used it. Took the better safe than sorry route! Paid too much for the cruise to spend it itchy!
Did you get the stuff you put on before or after? Also, where did you get yours? I don't really want to have to buy it from Amazon, but I haven't seen it anywhere else, around here. Is it available in Orlando/Cocoa at Ron Jon's or even at Walgreen's?

I had a "sea lice" outbreak once on a cruise, and it was unpleasant, but not life-threatening. It was basically like a bad rash. I didn't go to the medical center. I just took some Aleve and was uncomfortable for about a day. A bad jellyfish burn could require some medical care, but I'm pretty sure Disney has nets to keep out any big jellies. "Sea lice" are microscopic jellyfish larvae, and they aren't that likely to fire their stinger against exposed skin, as I understand it. The problems come when they get stuck in between the swimsuit or swim shirt and the skin, and then die because of friction and pressure or because of showering in fresh water. So it's important if you use Safe Sea to put it under the bathing suit.

My rash was like the one in the picture in this article, but much less severe and covering a smaller area. And mine lasted for maybe 2-3 days, but was only really bad for the first day.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2016/06/sea_lice_florida_coast.html

I'm sure you could use some kind of numbing gel or cream to treat it, just like a sunburn, or that article mentions antihistamine and hydrocortisone creams. Or the Safe Sea people now have an after-sting relief treatment; that would likely work, but I've never tried it.

I've copied your article. That's great information. Thanks.

Did you get the stuff you put on before or after? Also, where did you get yours? I don't really want to have to buy it from Amazon, but I haven't seen it anywhere else, around here. Is it available in Orlando/Cocoa at Ron Jon's or even at Walgreen's?

We did it before and got it from an online dive shop. Don't remember the name, it just showed up when i searched for the stuff on Google shopping and had free shipping. We got the one with SPF so once it was on we were good to go. Not sure where has it locally! I'd just buy from amazon or something. One less thing to worry about.

rinse well when you exit the water (there are showers) and unlikely you will have a problem

technical note ..... people who get this 'rash' typically get it in 'nether regions' ... not on the arm or leg .....

suggest anything? Rinse UNDER your suit 'openings' ..... and if done swimming get out of your suit

been snork/diving in the Bahamas and Carib since 1978 and NEVER had an 'outbreak'

We will be going in March and there will be some snorkelling and other water adventures. Should I invest in some type of Sea Safe or sea lice prevention or would that be a waste of time, money and effort (to get the kids to use it!)?

If one were stung, are there any remedies? Or is a trip to the medical office in order?
No, I don't think you need this. We've been to CC several times, including March, and have never had trouble with "sea lice".

MUN

If one were stung, are there any remedies?
I found this on a Google search:
  1. Do not rub your skin. ...
  2. Remove your swimsuit as soon as possible. ...
  3. Shower with fresh water. ...
  4. Take an antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine or chlorpheniramine, or apply hydrocortisone cream (1%) to help control itching. ...
  5. Use an ice pack to help relieve pain.
  6. Keep the rash clean.

Thanks, all. So far, the only place I've seen it is on Amazon. In Canada, they're charging something like $35 for the bottle, plus another $30 for shipping! Maybe for that kind of money, I can take my chances.

I did find another old thread on the DIS about it, and the overall theme was how unreliable it was to order from the company, itself.

We just got back from Castaway on the Fantasy a week ago. Had about as bad an experience as we could (and in all honesty probably would avoid CC for any future cruises), although in all fairness, it was not entirely Disney's fault. We couldn't get on the island until after 1:30 pm due to winds and 3 failed attempts to dock. Then once we did, all excursions were canceled. Even though we had our own snorkeling equipment, we were not allowed to snorkel. So we went to Pelican Bay. We sprayed all arms and legs with Safe Sea. My youngest was eaten alive by the sea lice in that bay on his upper legs and chest. When we went to the rental place, several CM's told us that Pelican Bay is AWFUL for sea lice due to the jellies that lice under the slide. They said no one gets sea lice in the family bay. They were nice enough to have some vinegar to spray on him that made the stinging and itching go away. They also recommended that he get on the hot tub on the fantasy. It all ended up fine, but I would recommend to everyone to NOT GO TO PELICAN BAY to be on the safe side.

Have fun, but have a plan in case your experience is as disappointing as our was. Loved Grand Cayman and would HIGHLY recommend the excursion for sting ray city. Probably the best bang for the buck I have ever had on any vacation ever.

I thought this might be worthwhile - an abstract of a paper where the authors and other volunteers actually stung themselves with jellyfish then tried various folk remedies to see how well they worked.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20116454

The gist was many of the standard jellyfish remedies didn't work very well, and some made the jellyfish nematocysts (stinger cells) fire, making the pain worse. The best treatment they tried was lidocaine, which is an anaesthetic. Lidocaine is not available over the counter, but benzocaine lotion is, as a sunburn relief cream. I would suggest bringing some of that (available at any local pharmacy) if you're worried about jellyfish.

As for Safe Sea, they have links to the actual research that was done by independent researchers that showed that it worked. The papers seem fairly convincing to me. We bought some after my sea lice incident, but I haven't been swimming in the caribbean or bahamas since then.

Interesting that you used Safe Sea and he still got stung.
Well he didn't get as many bites on his arms or legs where I sprayed directly (just upper legs and chest under his swim shirt), so maybe that's the secret. I don't think sea safe will work 100%, but it does help imo.

Is sea lice a common problem at cc? I've been to the Caribbean a number of times and never has an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter