Do I really need Genie+ with the DAS?

kittyklawz

Mouseketeer
We are taking our two children who will be 6 and 2 to their first Disneyland trip in October. My 6 year old is the one who will be getting the DAS and I am wondering if we should also get Genie + we are a party of 6, 4 adults and the 2 kids. I supposed we may want to ride on some rides the kids don’t want to go on, so genie+ would come in handy at that time. I’m wondering if we should just buy it for the adult tickets and not get it for his ticket since he will have DAS? Also during the OBB do you need genie+? We might just buy the tickets for the party & then enter the park at 3 and not do California Adventure any other day. Disneyland is way different now than it was when I went before. Also wondering if we should wait to buy genie+ at the park in case we decide we don’t need it to save some money. We are budget travelers lol.

I haven't been since genie + was introduced but I've gone a lot with DAS and it is basically the same. So no, I don't think so. PLus pre-registering the DAS you get to pre-register two ride times each day you visit.
I don't think it is worth it, it is the same thing.

I haven't been since genie + was introduced but I've gone a lot with DAS and it is basically the same. So no, I don't think so. PLus pre-registering the DAS you get to pre-register two ride times each day you visit.
I don't think it is worth it, it is the same thing.
The last time I went they still had normal fast passes that you got at the ride enterance so this is all new to me. Since my son is only going to be 6 I just worry about being able to go on stuff like space mountain and other things he might not want to ride and having to wait forever.

I hear you, its the same with me but when I looked at Genie + it is the same thing as DAS. But of course with DAS the DAS person has to ride the ride

How much do you save buying genie+ ahead of time? Wondering if I should just wait until we get there to see if we need it. We are going in October and people have told me it gets very busy.

If you are going during a very buy time, you may find it to be to your advantage to have both Genie+ and the DAS. Our experience is that during slower times, it's really not necessary to spend the extra money on Genie+ and that DAS is adequate on its own.

We were just there Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. We bought Genie+ for Sunday because it was the weekend and I figured it would be crowded with the new ride opening and the new nighttime shows. My husband has a muscle condition and arthritis and uses an ECV in the parks. We spent most of the day on Sunday just getting wheelchair return times and stacking those with the Genie+ times. It worked like a charm. We did have to wait for wheelchair return times on some rides, but the Genie+ return times were almost instant for everything but the big rides, so we could always find something nearby to ride while waiting for our return time window to open.

We got my husband a DAS Sunday evening because the scooter just wasn't meeting his specific needs. We then just used the DAS Monday and Tuesday with no Genie+. The crowds were low enough that most of the return times were within 0-15 minutes all day. Only the super popular thrill rides had windows that were longer than that--but the standby lines of the nearby rides were short enough that we were able to ride something else (or have a snack or shop) while waiting for our return window. It was awesome, and honestly pretty much exactly the same as our experience with Genie+.

Genie+ would have added very little (if anything) to our days on Monday and Tuesday. And I would have been super annoyed that we spent $75 extra each day on it, lol.

BUT my husband, who has the DAS, wanted to ride everything. It's different if the DAS holder is a child who isn't tall enough or doesn't want to ride a thrill ride because I am pretty sure the DAS holder has to ride.

So, it might be worth one day of Genie+ for you and your husband to be able to ride the thrill rides if that's important to you. You could book a time and then use rider switch so you both can ride with minimal wait times. ALTERNATIVELY, you could each utilize the single rider line at rides like Incredicoaster and Matterhorn. Since you won't be able to ride those rides together with little ones, you might as well take advantage of the free single rider options and not pay for Genie+ if you don't have to. Not all of the thrill rides have single rider lines, though, so again, one day of Genie+ for the adults might be worth it if the priority for you all are the rides that don't have single rider.

Hope that helps!

My daughter has DAS, but she is under 40 inches, so my husband and I used genie+ for all of the big rides. If I were you, I would make a list of the genie+ rides that you think your son won’t do that you want to ride. Then check the app a few times to see what the wait times are for those specific rides and then decide if it is worth the money to you.

If you want to ride any rides without the DAS holder, you will need Genie+, especially since you are going in October. October is the most crowded time of the year. For all of the E-ticket rides, you will be looking at 60-90 minute or more standby wait times. Do that 3 times and that’s 4 1/2 hours of waiting in line without the kids in the group. And if the person that waits with the kids also wants to ride, you’ll need to add another 20 minutes for each ride. That’s at least 5 1/2 hours of separation on a family trip.

As far as Oogie Boogie goes, keep in mind that it is VERY crowded from 3-6pm during the mix-in period. Our strategy has always been to do things like Animation Academy, Turtle Time, etc and an early dinner during this time. The ride wait times during this period of time are insane. Lines are practically walk on by 8pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter