Do cast members still use the constant "princess" label?

Discussion in 'Gay and Lesbian at Disney' started by kuhltiffany, Aug 14, 2018.

1. kuhltiffany

kuhltiffany DIS Veteran

Hi there, I hope this is an ok spot to put this. I'm just a mom looking for some wisdom/experience/advice.

We are heading to WDW next week (haven't been for about 5 years). My 14 year old is gender neutral / gender non-conforming. Last time we were there the cast members were always addressing children using the label "princess" (can't remember what the other option was), which was annoying and caused some angst. I'm hoping to find out what's typically happening now so we can prepare, I'm worried about how much a bother this can be.

The complicating factor is that we are also coming with a cast/broken foot, so it's likely extra attention will be given, not always a positive thing.

I've gotten pretty good navigating and advocating here at home, but Disney always seems to have such stringent gender expectations which make it more challenging!

2. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Disney is actually very gender friendly. If the CM's can tell (which isn't always obvious) they will use the preferred form of address. If they can't its easy enough to just ask them to use the preferred name/gender.

kuhltiffany likes this.
  3. WrongLeverrrr

WrongLeverrrr Why do we even HAVE that lever??

You know how some people have those buttons that say "First Visit!" and things like that? I know people sometimes make those with their own personalized design, but I'm not sure where/how they go about that. Maybe a design/slogan that expresses your child's gender identity could work. Though that would mean you're literally wearing it and I know not everyone prefers to do that.

kuhltiffany likes this.
  4. kuhltiffany

kuhltiffany DIS Veteran

Neat idea! Even one that says "please don't call me princess" would do :)

Wild4Walt likes this.
  5. happymommy

happymommy DIS Veteran

That's a great idea! My youngest is trans, and was at a conference last year where the name tag also said "he/him". Maybe one that says something to the effect that confirms they person's gender identity is good, like "gender nonconforming/fluid/nonbinary" is a good idea. You can write what you want! I wish I had known before he was 18, but in retrospect it wasn't a surprise to us all!