Do better waitress/hostess, do better

But, if we had asked for an adult menu for my adult, she would have had to make a second trip anyway She brought us two adult menus and a child's menu and DD and I had to share.
If this is something that bothers your family and is an issue, be proactive when you walk in and just ask for adult menus. I don't think there is a cut off personally for the crayon menus. Honestly I would love to be given one when I go into a restaurant. I understand being a mama bear but this is not something that I would get too upset about. My daughter is someone who gets mistaken for younger all the time and we have talked about it a great deal and she has learned to be proactive about it. Not saying this has to work in other families but it can.

I come away from this thread just thankful I don’t work in a restaurant. They can’t win.
This is so true.

But, I am still curious as to my original question... what ages does everyone think is appropriate for the folded, crayon included, paper kids menu to be given? I am not talking about who should be allowed to order off the kids section of the menu, rather when is a child to mature for the crayons.
My opinion-it doesn't matter. Why would anyone spend 10 seconds worrying about such minor things? This would not even be a blip on my radar of things to fret about.

My opinion-it doesn't matter. Why would anyone spend 10 seconds worrying about such minor things? This would not even be a blip on my radar of things to fret about.

exactly, such a very minor incident, being small in statue causes a lot more issues than being given a childs menu. If the mother and the daughter are making such a big deal of this , then it is just setting up a life time of imagined grievances and slights.

exactly, such a very minor incident, being small in statue causes a lot more issues than being given a childs menu. If the mother and the daughter are making such a big deal of this , then it is just setting up a life time of imagined grievances and

This is so true.

You are a grown up person who doesn't fret about such trivial things. My daughter is a very self conscious teenager who would probably want to crawl into a hole if she ever got a pimple on her face. Kids process things differently. But she worked through it. She was annoyed/self conscious/ disappointed for a few minutes and then moved on.

Disboards is such a fun pace to hang out and discuss just about anything. Anything at all. I have read threads with much sillier (to me) problems. I don't think I am making a big deal about it (and I certainly did not make a scene at the restaurant). I was just opening up a thread...a discussion starter if your will. I do feel bad for wasting so much of your time on such a trivial issue. I will try to do better in the future :).

You are a grown up person who doesn't fret about such trivial things. My daughter is a very self conscious teenager who would probably want to crawl into a hole if she ever got a pimple on her face. Kids process things differently. But she worked through it. She was annoyed/self conscious/ disappointed for a few minutes and then moved on.

Disboards is such a fun pace to hang out and discuss just about anything. Anything at all. I have read threads with much sillier (to me) problems. I don't think I am making a big deal about it (and I certainly did not make a scene at the restaurant). I was just opening up a thread...a discussion starter if your will. I do feel bad for wasting so much of your time on such a trivial issue. I will try to do better in the future :).
I think the important thing here is that your daughter understands that the things she cannot change are not the things that make her who she is. I was attracted to DW because she was smart and funny and had a really positive attitude. So what if she is only 5'-1"? I did not notice. She should not waste her time on people that do.

Exactly. Having feelings isn't wrong. Being sensitive isn't wrong. Asking about feelings and sensitive issues isn't wrong. Not understanding somebody else's feelings isn't wrong. Belittling issues and feelings IS wrong though. ((((Hugs)))))

I'm 4'-11" and 24. Most times I go to dinner with my parents, we get asked if I want a kids menu. I've also had TSA agents ask my parents if they want me to go through the metal detector rather than the body scanner (something they do for kids under like 12). It is what it is, you just have to get used to it and at this point it just turns into a joke, especially when I also don't get carded at a restaurant after being asked if I want a kids menu

You asked for opinions so opinions were provided.

You seem to have a bigger issue with this than your daughter did.

You asked for opinions so opinions were provided.

You seem to have a bigger issue with this than your daughter did.
I have no problems with people providing opinions. That is what happens when you post on a public forum. I didn't really get answers to the questions I asked - which was what ages do other's feel is appropriate for kids menus. But that is neither here nor there.

I did get a little sensitive when the opinions strayed towards criticizing my daughter but that is what I opened myself up to when posting. I'm OK with that. I did not get sensitive when posters a few comments that were unflattering to me because I don't care enough about that stuff.

But as you say, I asked for opinions and opinions were provided, I can say, you gave opinions and if I slap back, don't be hurt about it. You never had to respond.

Lastly, I do not "have a bigger issue with it than my daughter" She was hurt (for a brief moment) and I felt sad that my child was sad. And then came here to have a conversation about it. Not the big deal that some are making it out to be. On this forum we have discussions about ridiculous, insignificant things, fun polls, random conversations and some serious discussions about big issues. If a particular thread does not interest me or I think that the OP is being ridiculous, I just scroll by. I don't try to make the OP feel bad about their feelings about a particular issue.

Now, on to amore serious issue... there were only four colors in the crayon pack. How were we supposed to color in the hamburger with only four colors?! And they didn't even include a brown. Aren't' hamburgers usually brown?

I have no problems with people providing opinions. That is what happens when you post on a public forum. I didn't really get answers to the questions I asked - which was what ages do other's feel is appropriate for kids menus. But that is neither here nor there.

I did get a little sensitive when the opinions strayed towards criticizing my daughter but that is what I opened myself up to when posting. I'm OK with that. I did not get sensitive when posters a few comments that were unflattering to me because I don't care enough about that stuff.

But as you say, I asked for opinions and opinions were provided, I can say, you gave opinions and if I slap back, don't be hurt about it. You never had to respond.

Lastly, I do not "have a bigger issue with it than my daughter" She was hurt (for a brief moment) and I felt sad that my child was sad. And then came here to have a conversation about it. Not the big deal that some are making it out to be. On this forum we have discussions about ridiculous, insignificant things, fun polls, random conversations and some serious discussions about big issues. If a particular thread does not interest me or I think that the OP is being ridiculous, I just scroll by. I don't try to make the OP feel bad about their feelings about a particular issue.

Now, on to amore serious issue... there were only four colors in the crayon pack. How were we supposed to color in the hamburger with only four colors?! And they didn't even include a brown. Aren't' hamburgers usually brown?
Did they have a green crayon? It could've been a veggie burger. Man, some folks are so closed-minded!

I don't think it's a trivial issue. Would people feel the same way if a teen who looked older were served alcohol? Waitstaff should be taught not to judge customers by their appearance.

I didn't really get answers to the questions I asked - which was what ages do other's feel is appropriate for kids menus. But that is neither here nor there.

They have to wing it. There will always be outliers, whatever their limit for kids menus is (10 or 12). I see so many kids who are tall and people assume they are older, and then there are others like your DD who people may assume are younger. I have a mom friend who still gets mistaken for a middle or high school student. She wears Converse and ponytails and is not a tall person (5'1"). She's 40.

Those crayons are awful. They are like Roseart or some other craptastic brand. Hard no on trying to color with those things.

I don't think it's a trivial issue. Would people feel the same way if a teen who looked older were served alcohol? Waitstaff should be taught not to judge customers by their appearance.
Totally different. There is a law that says those under a certain age (depending on country) cannot be served alcohol; there is no law that says that those over a certain age cannot be given a children's menu. Are you really suggesting that wait staff ask for ID before giving out a children's menu? Because that's the only way that your comparison works.

I've had that happen. I get it. :hug:

I think my answer depends on the restaurant, but for general purposes, I guess around 10?

However, I think the best solution is just to give both menus if there are enough. Nothing said out loud to embarrass the teen.

As for the colors, I realize that might be just to lighten the mood :rotfl: but I remember my dad giving us one of those "back in my day, we didn't have..." lectures and it made me smile to think about the answer: choose colors opposite on the color wheel, color lightly with one and then lightly with the other over it, and you get sort of a muddy brown.

You did get answers. But most people thought there was really no exact set age.

Below are your questions from your original post. Again, I think many people addressed these questions In their replies to you.

My question for you is: what age ranges do you think that restaurant staff should assume that the family wants a kids menu and at what point should they ask the preference. Or should they ask at all and wait for the parents to ask?

Maybe next time, include a poll.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter